Just starting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting out

I have been on the program for four days now - which to me is a huge accomplishment.

I am having a terrible time falling asleep. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

JSK

Just starting out

JSK;

Welcome:

You'll definetly find support here..

Brandy

Comment

Just starting out

I tried tinkering with the calms forte dosage. The program has you taking (bear with me, doing this from memory) 2 with lunch, 2 mid afternoon, 1 at dinner and 1 at bedtime. I tried the opposite ie: less during the day, heavier at night. definately the 2 right before bedtime. My dr. suggested making some strong camomile tea too, might help.
      Hope it works for you!
      The not sleeping thing stinks, I know what you mean.
      Becca

Comment

Just starting out

Hi JSK, do hate the not sleeping thing, congrats on 4 days, I'm on my second night. Last night I got tired and went to bed early (bored when not drinking); fell asleep okay until 2:30 am then I tossed and turned; really hate that buzzy half awake/half asleep-but-neither-really feeling.

Couple of helpful things I have found: Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea--two bags per cup. They also have a Sleepytime Extra with valerian added, harder to find but good also. Or just valerian capsules from the health food store; just be forewarned of the "urp" after you have taken it; the stuff is disgusting. but works

good luck
        Ter

Comment

Just starting out

what works for me

Hi..
          I dont know if you have seen your doctor or not, but I went and pressed through my fear and embarrassment to discuss the MWO program and ask for Topamax. She ended up giving me Campral instead, but she offered to give me a prescription for a sleep aid, as she said anytime you cut back on alcohol, especially if it is a sighnificant cut back, you almost ALWAYS have trouble sleeping for a while, which drives most people back to their previous drinking levels after a few days simply so they can sleep. It can be a huge deterrent to your success. So she recommended "Lunesta". She gave me four samples to see how I liked it, and I have to tell you it is GREAT! It does not leave you groggy the next day. I take it about one hour before I want to fall asleep, and I hit the pillow with a smile on my face, and not because of alcohol! I do still drink some, but I can have two glasses of wine, and right before the second glass I will take a Lunesta, and by the time I finish it, sipping slowly, I am ready for bed. I wake up early and refreshed. It is time released so that you dont initially fall asleep, but then wake up four hours later only to lie awake the rest of the night. I have the same problem when I cut back. Dont hesitate to see you doctor and tell him/ her that you are having insomnia. It is very normal and happens to people for many different reasons. I know may people dont want to take anything, but Lunesta is very safe. Otherwise, Benadryl works really well to put you to sleep for a few hours. Tends to wear off after a few though. Hope this helps a little. Good luck! Allie

Comment

Just starting out

Re: what works for me

Hi Allie,
            Thanks so much for your suggestion of Lunesta. I was all set to ask my doctor for it.. so went to www.lunesta.com to read about it and was disappointed to find they say it is not to be taken with alcohol. So it's probably in the same basket as Restavit which is what we talked about before (I was having 1/4 restavit tablet to help me sleep after a glass of wine to prevent myself drinking further or going out to buy more but was advised by my doc to stop because it has a tripling effect on the alchol consumed - ie: 1glass + restavit = 3 glasses and so on.) So I'm back to plain drinking while I wait for my supps. But I might start using the restavit temporarily again once I'm on the program if I can manage not to drink. The other thing they warned about is that you can become dependant on Lunesta and there can be withdrawal symptoms when you stop. Thought I'd better let you know so you don't get into any trouble with it.
            Let me know how you're going anyhow.
            Love
            MFM

Comment

Working...
            X