Trouble getting into chat and ezboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else having problems getting into chat and ezmail?

Brandy

Yeah. I can get into chat at home, but not at work and I know Java is installed and I see others on instant messenger. RJ said she put in a call to have them look into it because it is only in the beta testing phase.

I guess we could set up yahoo ids and IM each other for suppport till chat is working.

-Nina

Comment

Yes, I also couldn't get in.
      Pushchchair was in the room but we coudn't connect.

Comment

Nina;

I think that's a great idea! I have MSN Messenger...I'll try to set up Yahoo messenger..

Brandy

Comment

Chat help

Good morning/afternoon/evening. :-)

Here's what I've got regarding the chat problem. The full response from the help desk follows my summary below--it may be useful to a few geeks out there. I've tried to interpret it as best I can; also provide some possible solutions. Please let me know if any of these help.

RJ

Potential problems, as per help desk response:

1) Firewall (on server) may block access to chat (it requires a specific "port"; is not necessarily the same one used by Instant Messenger or other programs
          2) Popup blockers can block the chat pop-up window
          3) Other Java-based program can't be running at the same time
          4) Java may not be installed (it doesn't come with Windows XP operating stem)
          5) Some Mac browsers don't support EZBoard's chat software

Potential solutions as per RJ:

1) First make sure your pop-up blocker is off when you try to access the chat room. (Sometimes it's an independent program or it may be active from your Google toolbar if you've downloaded that application. If so, simply go to "Options" on the toobar and change the setting before initiating a chat.) You may also be able to leave your pop-up stopper program running and simply "allow" the MWO chat site.
          2) Check to see if any other programs are running that might be using Java at the same time
          3) If at work, ask your system administrator if port 8000 is blocked and if so, see if it can be opened so you can chat... during lunch :-)
          4) Make sure Java is installed: go to www.java.com/
          5) If using a Mac, update your browser (newest version of Mozilla is excellent)

Help Desk Response

Re: Members excluded from chat...sometimes

Many companys block the port that chat rooms (not just ezboard) use. Instant messagers don't always use the port.

Firewalls
          Connects via a socket to our server on port 8000. Some firewalls will block this kind of thing. Chat programs by nature must maintain a connection of this type to the server.

Chat Won't Load
          Make sure you do not have any other Java based chat programs running. Such as other Community Chats running in a different browser window.

Issue: Chat works, but it doesn't work on your computer.

Solution: Windows users - make sure that you have a java runtime environment on your computer.. Windows XP users - windows XP does not come with a java environment pre-installed so you will need to install one
          You can download one here:
          www.java.com/
          www.hftonline.com/downloads/msjavavm.php or here: www.microsoft.com/Windows...efault.asp
          Mac users - upgrade Apple MRJ Java to 2.2.5 by going here: download.info.apple.com/A....5.smi.bin This should fix the problem some Mac users are experiencing under Max OS 9.1 and Internet Explorer 5.13

ALSO...

Chat will not work if you have a pop up blocker enabled (in your firewall or elsewhere).

You'll be able to enter chat, but it'll seem as if you're the only one who is in the chat room. So that you can see and chat with others, be sure to disable your firewall before entering chat rooms.

(With a work computer you may not be able to turn off the firewall. Generally this is at the server and not the individual computers.)

Chat issues with Macs
          Not every browser for Mac supporters the ezboard chat.

If you have a router firewall that is blocking access to chat, try this:

"linksys router with hardware firewall, the BEFSR41. All I did is go to the configuration with my browser (with the address 192.168.1.1), go to advanced tab and enable 'IPSec Pass Through'."

Comment

Working...
          X