I've been here a ton lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, got my book today. I guess I need to schedule a dr. appt. My dr. is a very christian, very mild DO. I have only met him once. We switched dr.s a while ago because we thought we were not getting enough personal attention (love that U.S. health care) Whoops, must be the Canadian coming out in me! Like their system is so much better.
    I'm way off focus.
    Here's my question. How do you approach a doc with this? especiall one you don't know. You guys, I am so afraid of judgement. The first time I was in his office for the 1st physical (ie ap smear), I had to answer all these questions on a questionnaire. So he said "you drink alcohol" I said "uh huh" or something dumb like that. He said "do you get drunk?" in a tone where I thought I better say "oh, sometimes, but not much anymore." That was almost a year ago.
    Hubby thinks he would be good cuz he's a DO, not an MD, and might be into the herbal side and hypno side of things. He does acupuncture too. Maybe I should asK. Throw it all out there, right?
    Any insight would be appreciated. How do I ask for an appointment? When the receptionist asks "what seems to be the problem?" What do I say. This board has been the only place I can seem to stay truthful, so I'm hoping...
    Thanks, all
    Becca

Becca,
    When I set up my dr appt I said I wanted to talk to my doc about alcohol issues. I dropped of the Lancet article a few days before and was honest with my doc(well mostly . I told her that other people ordered off shore or saw a different doc for topa, but I didn't want to do that. She listened and did make some other suggestions, but I said I really wanted to try this and she agreed to let me try.

Good luck to you!

Marcie

Comment

just wanted to chime in.
      i understand so well that shame feeling. i am currently in the stages of getting ready to talk to a chinese herbalist and acupuncturist, someone i also know socially. i am afraid to confess to her how much drinking i have in my history and, unfortunately, my present. when i bounced this fear off my friend, she said to divulge all, to not be ashamed, as this person i have in mind to make an appointment with is a professional, and she will not only keep it to herself, but she probably knows enough to understand that i am not trying to mess up.
      here's to being honest with those professionals, in hopes that they can help us
      and not be judges! if they want to judge, they should've gone into law. indeed! my father is a judge, and i know enough about the feeling of being judged, as his profession permeated his character! judging not for our HIRED medical practitioners to do. if their intention is truly to help us, then let's hope they're capable. if they are, then they'll know enough not to throw attitute our way when we're being truthful. if we're not fully honest, sometimes they'll just tell us not to worry so much, be so hard on ourselves, etc. but, if we feel there's a problem, then there is. bless us for getting the help we need. if they can't accept us for who we are and what we go through, then we need a different doctor. i know, easier said than done, with all the shame many of us feel...

Comment

i pushed the wrong button and my message posted without my finishing or proofing what i wrote. i meant to say: judging IS not for them to do. i also meant to wish you well and tell you to stay strong and keep posting, as it can be a great way to figure things out.
        all the best,
        onoclea

Comment

ok marci. took me forever to respond to this post.

Drunk right now... Having a hard time

Comment

Keep on trucking, Rebecca, the shame is the hardest. I don't care how much you drink, you are still a good person, worthy of basic love, caring and respect, as are all of us here on this site. The fact that you are here means that you want to struggle with this demon that we are all struggling with. I hope you can hear this! Drunk or sober, you are worth it! I'll be thinking of you.

Cyber hugs!
            Kathy

Comment

Becca,
              I agree with Kathy, just because you drink that does not make you a bad person. You just make some bad decisions, as do all of us or we wouldn't be here. I was exactly like you when I first came on board here. Many times I tried posting and I was drunk and upset. When you are ready to embrace this program you will.

Take it easy, we've all been there.

Marcie

Comment

Hey everyone!
                Back on track today! I bought the Kudzu last week, bought the Calms forte, all one, and milkthistle today. I even made my Dr. appt!!!! Friday at 3:30. Planning to stay sober until then (hey, I did 4 days last week), then that smack of reality when I go on Friday....should be lots of ammo! I'm hopeful. I am still unsure about the Topa, I will talk to him about it. I'll bring my book, Marcie!
                Still piecing together this program, and I thank you ALL for the continued amazing support.
                I soooooooooo want this to work!!!
                Becca

Comment

Way to go Becca... Hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are still missing some, lets see, magnes. B-50, Evening primrose..... plus the l-glute!
                  ... I take the supps as stated! It's your choice, remember that, everything is! Good Luck to you...If you are ready, it will work!
                  ~Tammie

Comment

I would like to add that you are under no obligation to discuss your reasons for wanting to see the doctor with the receptionist or even the nurse. A simple polite, "I would rather discuss my reasons for coming here today with the doctor" should suffice. They really shouldn't be allowed to push due to privacy.

You don't have to be rude, but they don't need to know why you are there to get your insurance info and take your vitals.

Also, you may find that some docs don't understand how people who are addicted to alchohol or drugs brain's work. You may get the "go to AA speech" or the big shocker of them all "just don't drink so much." They don't understand that telling an addict, and yes let's face it on some level we are all addicts, to just stop drinking is like telling a person to just stop breathing.

They are not trained like addiction docs or pschs. If you don't find what you are looking for just don't stop. If I did, I wouldn't have gotten the help I needed.

Good luck to you Rebecca. I know you can do this.

-Nina

Comment

Tammie, Nina
                      Got your posts. Yes, I know I am still missing some supps. I may have to search for a couple of them online. Can't find what that evening primrose stuff does in the book...I'll keep looking or look it up at this site. Sure it's here somewhere. I was kinda overwhelmed by how many ingredients are in the All One!!! I thought, for pete's sakes, that's got to be enough vitamins! But, you are right. Might as well do it exactly as it says if I want to get the best results (I do! I do!)
                      Nina, awesome points about the Dr. visit. Actually, when I made the appointment and the receptionist asked if I was sick (ha ha to that), I just said something to the effect of "no, no emergency, I am just interested in beginning a new diet plan that involves some herbal supplements and the program suggests you do it under the supervision of a dr.". No further questions asked.
                      I'm sober again today, no desire to drink, either. I think my weekend shenanigans were an eye opener...like, duhhh Becca, you are not cured yet!
                      I'll be around tonight.

Comment

trying to introduce myself and thank you all

But everytime I try to post a new thread introducing myself, I get an error message. Can someone help me? [Please respond to my EZboard inbox.]

Comment

Tried to introduce on new thread, kicked out, so . . .

I'll do my introduction here. I am 52, widowed since 2003 after 20 years of marriage, we were always companion drinkers but it has spiraled out of control since he died, I am sick/lethargic/dissipated intellectually and emotionally every day because of alcohol. My house, pets, self, suffer every day from lack of interest. We get by, but we could do a lot better.

I have packed on pounds (which surprises me, because I hardly eat anymore, alcohol is what carries me through), blood pressure has risen horribly, mood has plunged precipitously, know I have to quit, moderate drinking will not work for me. However, each day I face the same problem: at what stage do you actually have the strength to not buy/drink alcohol???? I really need to get over this hurdle, thanks for all your openness on this site. Ter

Comment

Re: Tried to introduce on new thread, kicked out, so . . .

Hi Ter,

Sounds like you have suffered a great loss, but you are ready for a new begining. Have you purchased the book and the supplements and made your doctors appointment? If you are ready, you should dive in head first. A big mistake I made with this program is to dable in it. I started with the topa and had some success and then added the supps, more success then the cds, still more, but I still struggle at times and I know deep down if I had fully committed myself from day one, I would have had a much easier go with it.

I truley believe that creating MWO as a new habit helps kill the old habit. Also it sounds like you have a lot of home improvement projects that could keep you busy during this program.

Good luck on your journey.

-Nina

Comment

new beginning

Hi Nina, thanks so much for your reply. I have ordered the book and CDs, don't have them yet; have the vitamins/supplements/kudzu, a little leery of the side effects of the topa so I'm still thinking about that. Local health food store didn't have calms forte so I ordered off the web and waiting on that.

I also have a back problem I'm finally going to get looked at; I have been to chiro many times but it doesn't help; and I think I have also been using the back pain as an excuse for drinking also. So until I get all my ducks in a row, I'll keep my computer on . . .
                              Ter

Comment

Working...
                              X