New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here

I've been reading this site for 3 days, and have finally jumped in. My husband and I both are struggling with this problem, and this seems like something we would like to try.

Everything is ordered but the magnesium, which I know I can get at the grocery later today.

We are at home drinkers, because we no longer can drink socially...I sit at my end of the house with my rum and coke, and he sits at his end with gin and ice, with a goal of passing out a proper time to get up and go to work (or whatever is on the schedule for the weekend.).

We're tired of it, and we are afraid of it. We've got too much to lose...great jobs, great marriage (or it used to be), a grandson to be here soon.

And I can soooo sympathize with the person who talked about being tired of waking up with bruises she had no idea of how they occurred. It seems I fall down a lot...not that I can remember it, mostly.

The thing that hurts the most is my youngest son, the caretaker soul. He sleeps with his door open, so he can pick me up and put me in bed when I fall down. It's not right.

I'm really looking for a way out.

We intend to follow Week 1 regimen as soon as things start coming in, until all the pieces are assembled.

Looking forward to my new and improved life.

New here

Nice to hear from you, Darlene!
    My name is Becca. I have been here officially 1 wk. It has certainly helped me "keep it together". I keep saying, I'm no saint, (was drinking last night...), but being here makes me keep THINKING. I don't know that I ever really thought before. Just drank to falling down status at times!
    Congratulations on the new grandchild coming. How exciting! and what a great reason to get a grip on this thing now. To your husband: welcome as well! you can hopefully help each other, but I imagine it would be difficult when you are both alike as far as the drinking goes.
    Hey, if you both want to make some changes, you can do it!!!!
    We are here,
    Becca

Comment

New here

Thanks! Just got home from church and hubby is already zonked

Still, it is okay, I picked up the magnesium on the way to church, then enjoyed the service very much, and now I'm going to start drinking the dreaded water.

After all, I'm the one who gets to decide how I spend the rest of my day.

Comment

New here

Welcome Darlene,

What a wonderful additude! Have a Happy and Sober Sunday. I am going to do the same.
        Take Care,
        Tammie

Comment

New here

Hi Darlene

Bet it took guts to take that first step and register with this group. That was certainly the case for me. I'm also on my first week and have decreased my intake dramatically. I LOVE waking up and able to account for everything I did last night. No memory gaps, no broken glasses, nothing to apologise for.

I soooo want to keep this up. That feeling, and all the wonderful people in this group are my incentive.
          My best wishes.

Comment

New here

Good for you Darlene! The first step is hard, but you did it. And sometimes it feels great to be able to come here and admit the things that you would never say out loud to a living soul. I'm only on my second week, but already I like myself better. It's a huge relief not to wake up in the morning disgusted, and hung over. But I have to admit the topa really takes the edge off for me. I just don't seem to care one way or another about having that next glass. I never would have believed it. Really makes me want to stick with all the other parts of the plan, and make some lasting changes.

I'm happy that you're here. Welcome aboard!

Comment

New here

new here

Congratulations on your step toward liberation Ive been sober for about 7 days now and finding my resolve weakening, I havnt checked out the material yet but have been batteling this disease for @ 20 years, in and out of 12 step programs.....this looks hopeful, you give me hope, I have an 11 year old son that will no doubt take on some caretaking qualities its in him already....Im trying to journal to remember just how bad it was, how easily we forget, I want to say something uplifting but know that if i make it through the night things will look brighter tomorrow---reaching out is key, every time i relapsed it preceeded a time when I tried to go it alone---keep reaching out

Comment

New here

Change is coming...

I just read your stories, I have to write. I have been on the program for over a year (all of it including Topamax). I have to tell you that I know what you are going through. And I know what it feels like to think that there is no possibility of change. That has to be the worse feeling in the entire world. But there is hope and there is light and there is change. Did you read the Email journals in the book by Brenda? That was my life exactly! And I totally felt the same as she did when she didn't believe it would really work. But it did and I've been able to drink moderately for over a year. Right now, I'm not drinking for a month. I do that sometimes just to clean out my system. A couple of years ago, that would have been impossible. Now, I can do it when I want to. I do my hypno a bit more often during this month and beef up my exercise but all the other things I'm already doing so it's no big deal.

Journaling the bad times are a good idea - do it the morning after when you feel awful. We like to push them out of our minds don't we? Both of you talked about your kids. My kids were my SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT reason for getting myself together. That desire will carry you on to success. Keep it in the forefront of your mind always!

Comment

New here

Re: Change is coming...

"Nikki",

Thanks for the update. I didn't see this until now (and didn't realize that was you posting as Nikki this weekend until you emailed me). As you know, I've since emailed you privately today to ask if you'd let me divulge that you are, in fact, Brenda in my book. I'd forgotten when I wrote it you chided me about giving you a "pretty name" and requested Nikki with an "i", ha--not sure why I didn't go along with that, but now you have it!

I know you've wanted to keep a low profile over these past many months and haven't been active on the board, that your time is limited, and you've felt as if you've "moved on". I also understand that most of your friends and family members know nothing about your involvement in this program; that for you it has been an intensely private journey. But I think it will be helpful for people to learn more about your experience. If you read through the many posts here you'll see just how honest and heartfelt these stories are. Those who have read the book understand your history and your struggle. And so many people tell me they found the journals the most moving and motivating part of the book.

Often I am asked how you are doing. I always tell people the truth: that you've had wonderful success with this program that we both began together. I know they are anxious to hear more.

Thanks for checking in and posting, even if it's just for a few days. I really believe this will be tremendously helpful to others.

Your pal,

RJ

Comment

New here

I do have a question. How much water is *lots* of water? I drink none at all now, although I pour down the diet sodas (with and without alcohol). Today I managed to do 50 oz. (I'm trying to work up the water content while I wait for the topa!) Not doing all that well with the drinking, but then again, all I have in the way of tangible equipment is water and magnesium for a few more days!

Speaking of diet sodas...I am caffeine dependent, to the point where abrupt withdrawal can cause migraine. The last time I got caffeine free was when I had major surgery..and had good drugs for a couple of days. So hearing that the topa made sodas taste bad, *and* needing to drink tons of water, I wondered if anybody else had had trouble with caffeine issues. Of course, one would think that migraine wouldn't be as much of a problem when taking Topa?

Comment

New here

Hey DarleneAin,

I have found that it was more of a problem drinking stuff in cans. I haven't had a problem drinking carbonated drinks that were in plastic bottles. See if that helps for you. Also, good luck and welcome to MWO!

Kathy

Comment

New here

question

Hello RJ, I am new as of yesterday, and have a question. I have noticed several posts have a small line at the bottom where people have edited their posts. How do I do this? Thanks
                        Ter

Comment

Working...
                        X