maybe later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe later

Well, I'm not usually one to quit so soon on something I have such high hopes on. I'm not actually quiting, just putting things on hold... My Honey & myself are going on a vacation to visit his folks in about 2 wks & I don't want to show up in the state I'm in...barely functioning,... At this point I just hope I can get this stuff out of my system in 2 weeks. Because I don't feel like me right now, & I'm afraid I'm gonna' embarass my husband,myself, & his family, or whoever might be w/in ear shot... To be honest I think I could drink a case of tequila & function better... I've no doubt about a 12 pack... Sorry this isn't a very positive post, but I'm having a very hard time w/ this Topa stuff. Still Hugs & Prayers...Judie
    PS Will continue the Kudzu & posting... xoxoo

maybe later

I'm not up to date on this, but wouldn't two weeks maybe let you stabilze on the amount you are on? Just a thought...

Pat, who hasn't tried it yet...but, want you to give it all you have...

Comment

maybe later

what about asking your doc about titrating up slowly like starting at 50 whilst slowly titrating off your other drugs?

Comment

maybe later

Hi Ya'll, My Dr. put me on 50 mg, 2x a day, been on it for the past 3days. It's been living Hell! Well,almost, I've actually felt 1/2 alive, if that! For someone usually bouncing off the walls, ...that's a bit drastic...... I don't like this at all. I'm tired,
        ...getting nothing done, ...& I feel sick & can't concentrate... believe it or not I'm not usually such a sniveller either!... WHAAA....Hugs ... Judie

Comment

maybe later

Do you think you should call your doctor and ask why such a high dose to start was chosen? I mean, ......When it's common practice to begin people much lower at 25 mg and then very gradually over the course of a *month* get to where you !BANG! started at? that must be so hard!!!! One can only assume the reason it is done so gradually is that is not well tolerated all the sudden at 100mg. If I were you I would call the doc immediately and start over at the 25 mg dose if possible, no wonder you feel like bailing out.

Comment

maybe later

All I can guess is that my Dr. was very busy, & I brought some print outs & paperwork from "my way out", He glanced at it. In hind sight, I don't think he was very familiar w/it or even read it. I also take an anti convulsant for a seizure disorder,& lately have been getting maigranes, ...no wonder I drink!! Also no wonder I shouldn't.....This Topa just sounded too good to be true, maybe if I can figure out the dosasage. Let us pray. Think I need it ... Hugs Judie

Comment

maybe later

maybe later

Hey Judie,

If you are already on an anti convulsant, no wonder you feel like a zombie, starting at 100 mg/day of topa. If you need to stop for a while, go ahead, but you might be okay trying 25 mg in the afternoon and titrating up 25 mg every week. Some people even have to start @ 12.5 mg and titrate up from that. That's what I did, and I haven't had any problems at all. I feel for you. Do what you feel is best for you sweetie, and good luck!

Hugs,
              Kathy

Comment

maybe later

Judy, Kathy....that makes SO much sense! If you are already on an anticonvulsant Kathy is right, that might explain a lot. I was almost not going to try the Topa because of what you have been going thru Judy...I have felt terrible for you and afraid for me as well. I can't afford to 'lose my mind' and function in my job. Good luck with whatever you decide and have a wonderful trip!

Lilly

Comment

maybe later

Please do not be afraid to try the topa anyone. I have been on it for 5 days now. I started Wed at 25mg's with no side affects at all other than my pop (out of a can, tasted like crap!:x ) I did switch up to 50mg today and the only reason i did it a couple days early is because my hubby and I felt like we were loosing alot of the topa when we were splitting (I had ordered the 50 mg instead of the 25mg because I knew that I would not be on the 25 for very long and when we would split it, it would turn into powder....) anyway I have notice a few problems with typing today but nothing major and nothing when I speak. So anyway I just wanted to let everyone know my story with the topa.

I hope you are feeling better know Judie. Sorry that happened to you.

Tammie

Comment

maybe later

Sorry Tammie,

The soda doesn't get any better.

-Nina

Comment

maybe later

Tammie,
                      Glad to hear its worked for you. I'm on day 5 with 25mg and I haven't had any noticeable side affects but I'm a little worried about what will happen when I start increasing it. I am hoping this works for me, my drinking has gotten so out of control. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Gracie

Comment

maybe later

Judie,

I've heard this scenario from many others--health care providers prescribing it for smoking cessation, weight loss, drinking, bulimia, but not following PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) titration schedule, with results exactly as you describe. I do not get it.

Please don't give up. Try again after your trip and simply follow the schedule in the book. It's what the researchers used and what we use.

This therapy is still relatively new and many physicians are not aware of it. Others, well...need to read up.

Hang in there.

RJ

p.s.: Re: "cutting the pill comment"--yes, Topamax tends to crumble up a bit when sliced. Always, if possible, try to match the dosage of any pill to what's prescribed. Many don't know that if the pill you're taking is not 'scored' you can't be assured the medication is equally distributed so you may not get the appropriate dose!

Comment

maybe later

Hey guys

I wanted to ring in on the dosage thing. I have a great doctor who had never heard of using Topa to treat drinking problems. He copied the recommended dosage from the book and told me he is on board with one condition - he wanted to see me every four weeks to check my weight and blood pressure. That made it easy for me to figure out what dosages I needed - the 25 mg, the 100's and so on, so I never had to split the pills. My therapist was also on board at the get go. I let them both know that I wasn't looking for a "magic pill", that I would be attending occasional AA meetings (not going religiously, but still going at times), going to therapy and seeing my doc. I wish you all had the same support I do. I can't say I have stopped drinking completely, but I have decreased my drinking significantly and talking to all of you has helped so much. Hang in there Judie, hearing from you has helped me personally sooo much. I hope you stay on the boards, even if you decide not to take the topa.
                          Love to you all
                          Marie

Comment

maybe later

Gracie,

Hi, I was / am also concerened because I hadn't noticed a whole lot of difference either and what with all of Judies comments when she started out the same time....But she was starting out with a doctors prescription and at a much higher dose! I would love to find a doctor here, because I did order overseas and one never knows if what I got is the right dose or what ever... Anyway we just moved here; my husbands insurance company and I can't let it show up as... and I have only seen my doctor once so, how can I trust the doctor...I wish I had a doctor like Judie. But we can't all start out on a Dr;s Perscription.... Anyway didn't mean to vent.

Did you order overseas Gracie or go to your Doctor?

Sometimes during the day I think I notice things other times nothing. So I think alot of it is in my head or the supps or cd's working, lol. Wishful thinking. Either way I'm not drinking so that is a very good thing. Just wish the darn cravings would go away or atleast subside for alittle while...I want a break.

Tammie

Comment

maybe later

Hi Ya'll, just checking in. Haven't taken any Topa since yesterday morning, & still feeling a bit off. Did take Kudzu this morning. I'm wondering if I should take my Dilantin & Kudzu at dif times? I usually just take them both, first thing in the mornin but I've been gettin' so tired, maybe I'll try breaking it up a bit. Don't like feeling so useless. Pretty dissappointed, had a few beers yesterday too. Didn't really taste good, but I had to try more than one just be sure!! Hugs Judie

Comment

Working...
                              X