Strategies for Dealing with the Habit of Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many of us have asked "what do you do with the habit or psychological cravings of drinking after the physical cravings have passed" and I think it desearves its own topic.

This hits close to home for me. I struggle with this on Friday and Saturday nights. What are some of your strategies for dealing with with breaking the habits and psycholigical cravings once the physical cravings have passed?

For me I have cut out drinking during the week by creating routines. I take all my supps/topa at work and do the subliminal cd at my desk. The weekend is a bit more lax and I am sure is part of my struggle.

Anyone care to share?

-Nina

Good morning, Nina!
    I told my husband that I was so excited about this program last night that I woke up thinking about it! So much better than waking up wondering how I got to bed...grrr.
    Anyhow, about the strategies for dealing, great idea! I, too, have major struggles with friday and saturday. Sometimes Sunday too, because I don't work on Mondays. I think I will make a point to plan things with the kids during the day (not sit and drink while they play video games). I don't know if I may have to avoid our evening social events for a bit...all involve drinking! I don't know. Hopefully I will have the resources and support in my mind that I can go out and have a good time without feeling deprived. That sounds so stupid it makes me mad!! Oh well, it is what it is. Gotta deal.
    A couple of NA drinks that have worked for me briefly in my attempts to cut back: tonic water with lime and ODoules Amber! Definitely though, gotta plan those scheduled day plans to get me away from the temptation. I believe that is key.
    Thanks again for sharing! Becca

Comment

Breaking the habit is tough. I always associated drinking with being at home, being bored. So I keep busy with the computer now and drink coffee.
      I found an online game site called Pogo, very addicting to go along with my addicting personality. lol.
      Also the hypno Cd really helps. I added in the suggestion part that I do not want to drink and that when ever I see a certain item I will not think of drinking or want to drink...seems to be working more and more. I wish I had more energy so I could do some cleaning and organizing which my house could really use, but I don't seem to have alot as of yet. My kids get home from school around 3:30 and I spend alot more time with them...that is a plus. I think just the more our mind is off of drinking the better.
      And Becca I also had tonic water with lime last night at a Superbowl party and found it to be refreshing and helpful when others were drinking and I was sticking to moderation. These are just a few that have helped me.
      Tammie

Comment

Yes, being at home and bored stinks. I hate laundry too! Probably will do 6 loads today...
        Anyhow, about the kids coming home from school: sometimes I would be a few drinks into it (or more) by the time my 2nd grader came home. I started thinking with all this reflecting I've been doing the last couple of days that one time he is going to start to notice, ask question, remember his mom drinking excessively at times. I remember growing up that my dad would be half bombed by the time I got home if he was laid off from work. I love my dad to pieces and he STILL can have times he drinks a ton (genetics???), but I don't want my kiddos remembering their mommy as being a blabbering, off balance drunk!
        Major, major mental strategy for me. I really didn't worry about them remembering before (I know that's horrible), but I believe the time has come...
        PS: nice work moderating a superbowl party!! Honest- wow! I had to avoid the party altogether. Partly cuz my husband was irritated with me from the night before:

Comment

kids

Hi Rebecca,
          I too have kids.. 5, 7 & 12.. my worst times are when they are fighting. I really can't stand it & retreat into a bottle. My NERVES!! And yep they all notice and have started asking questions, especially the oldest who has done anti-drug & alcohol training at school. She is really worried about my health. Time to clean up my act.. No, they really do not want a drunk mother.
          Just got my book & cds today.. have ordered All One, just having bit of trouble locating the rest.
          I think in the past my strongest strategy was exercise. Only problem is that I've become super unfit in the last 12 months so it will be an uphill battle getting fit again.
          Wish me luck.
          MFM

Comment

weekends

Nina,
            How would you like your Friday, Sat and Sundays to look?
            Describe an ideal weekend. how much alcohol, how do you feel, how do you act, what do you do, how does it go?
            Give us an idea (and paint yourself a picture) of what you are shooting for.

Comment

Re: weekends

Good Question. I guess I would like Friday to look much like the other days of the week, but be able to stay up later. For some reason, if I don't drink, I fall asleep around 8:30. Another reason I want to drink is because I have done so well not drinking during the week I feel like it should be ok, but then I over do it.

I wish I could just come home and relax on Fridays with a movie or comedy and be able to stay up to midnight enjoying the thought of the weekend ahead. As for Saturday, I would enjoy a few drinks during the afternoon, but only a couple and then some games with the kids and then just dinner with the hubby. I stopped drinking on Sundays a while back and I'm cool with that.

Maybe I just am trying to cram all of the drinking in on Friday and Saturday that I am missing from during the week. I have decided that this Friday when I come home I am making a big pot of coffee. This will give me something to drink and stay awake. We'll see what happens.

I also have an appointment with a Gen. Practi. on the 22nd. Dr. Garcia hasn't been able to answer my post about taking topa forever and the psch. who prescribed if for my is out of the country for a month. I really feel like I need some guidance on this issue. I feel like I have come so far, but right now am at a bit of a stand still. Thanks for listening.

-Nina

Comment

Re: weekends

Vida,
                I really like that idea you gave to Nina about visualizing the weekend- how I would like it to go. I wrestle with the same thing. Can go for several days without much trouble not drinking, then think I can reward myself/cram it all in/ control myself/ celebrate the weekend.......you know what?? I guess I'm not really thinking at all!! I am going to try this stragegy this weekend. I also thought that the social events cd would really help me too, because that is my #1 priority- cutting way back at social events.
                Has anyone had good success with the social events cd?
                I would love to see your comments.
                Thanks everyone!

Comment

RE: weekends

I have found something that I really enjoy drinking. If any of you are at all into hot tea and live in a big city, then you most likely have a store called "Teavana" at your local mall. They have tea in there that is way beyond anything you every bought at the grocery store. It is all loose leaf and you buy it buy the weight. But you can sample it and smell them before you buy, and they have every flavor imaginable. They even have rich chocolates, caramels, and of course all the fruity as well, all in decaf or regular. I have found a few that are do delicious, and with the cold weather it makes it an alternative to carrying around my wine glass at night. Of course there's no "buzz" to go with it, but the flavor is so good and it warms me up... nice treat to go along with a bubble bath. Another huge plus for those of you who have teenager daughters.... they really get into the hot tea thing! So instead of the drinking being something that separates you, it can be an invitation to meet in the kitchen and share time together. The sound of hot tea brewing always lures my daughter out of her bedroom and she gets all sweet and snuggly! Whooda thunk??

I hope this helps somebody! Oh... and its something sweet without any calories (I use Splenda to sweeten).

Comment

Re: Weekends

Allie,

I don't have a daughter! You are making me jealous! Somehow I don't think my 16 year old son would get into that. LOL!

Adria

Comment

Re: Weekends

Adria,

I bet hot chocolate would lure him around... especially if you have some Reddi Whip to pile on top of it! The tea and hot chocolate both involve the tea kettle....

I really enjoy some of the fat free hot cocoa's they have out now, they are really good. I may opt for that tonight!

We will have to encourage each other over the weekend. I am already feeling tempted simply b/c it is Friday (a typical drinking night).

Allie

Comment

First let me say that I have just started this week, and I am going for moderation, not abstinence. All the same, I wanted to remove the temptation, so currently have had no alcohol in my house for over a week, and I am totally fine with it. It has actually removed some of the stress. I live way out in the country and am a newly single mom with two young kids, a busy career, and a packed schedule so a quick trip to the store in desperation is that much harder for me.

Just this week, I picked up a nice NY strip at the grocery store and was headed for the red wine when I passed these beautiful fresh flowers, and decided that instead of 3 bottles of wine, I would buy myself three dozen roses - orange, medium pink and dark pink. They are gorgeous! And the steak was the best I've ever cooked too...

I also have been drinking tea in the evening (and during the day) and have found it to be really satisfying. I am addicted to Jasmine Green Tea that I sweeten with a packet of Stevia - oddly enough, my palate detects a hint of concord grape, so maybe on some level my brain thinks it is getting wine!!!

We did have some beer in the fridge at work (DO, in fact) and I was really craving one at the end of a hard day this week, but decided I was just thirsty, and fixed myself a nice cold fizzy lemon instead: glass of seltzer, packet of Stevia and a packet of True Lemon crystals. It totally did the trick.

All this stuff works great for me, day-to-day. My real problem is with social events. Just got the CD, god I hope it helps.

K-

Comment

Good for you Karen! I am sure those roses will last so much longer than the wine!

-Nina

Comment

Re: Social events

Hi Karen!
                            I have the same problem with social events. I do drink at home, but I just go to bed when I've had enough or, sometimes, too much. It just doesn't cause near the embarassment or ordeal over having me be a blubbering idiot at social events. I was wondering the same thing about that CD. Being new myself, I don't even have the book yet (but I see it finally shipped yesterday, yay!). I am taking the kudzu and hope it helps this weekend. It's 3:15 and I haven't had a drink yet...tick, tick, tick.
                            Could anyone please give us some input about that social events CD? Worth ordering? I'm trying to customize this program, as it seems to suggest one can do, to fit individual issues. Trial and (hopefully not too much) error!
                            thanks in advance!

Comment

Re: Social events

Hi everybody,

This topic is of great interest. I'm going for moderation and so far (day 6) I'm very pleased with myself, having drastically reduced my intake . I set myself targets each day like delaying my starting time, then limiting drinks to 1 per hr. Yesterday I was not allowed to drink before 4.pm (I know what you mean ... tic tic tic ... oh heck ... what's 10 minutes?) but I stuck to it and had a long awaited brandy and Coke. After the first gulpl I though - hang on - down a glass of water first which I did. This was a good move - it alleviated the need to guzzle the brandy because I wasn't actually thirsty. I then stuck it out until 5 for a glass of red wine, another at 6.15 with dinner, then two more brandys at 7.30 and 8.45. I don't think I've had so little since primary school - or so it feels.

Because I've been waking up so deliciously clear of head and clear of conscience , I am loath to accept social invitations where I know booze will be a feature. Yesterday some friends invited me for a bbq and all I could do was lie my way out of it. They own a winery, for pete's sake! I don't want to come clean and tell them what I'm trying to do and I also can't trust myself not to get legless. Not yet, anyway. So I gues social events are off my calendar for a while. I'll be watching these pages with interest.

Comment

Working...
                              X