Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa and math

Wow.
    Thought I would throw this out there. I was sort of pleased that I havent had much in the way of side effects so far, I am 5 weeks into this program and just increased to 150 mg. My side effects are pretty minimal I can still even drink sodas and soda water out of a can with no problem So Far.

Anyway, I work one morning per week in my son's class helping with math, and I was showing them how to set up certain equations. Suddenly my mind went blank and I got "stuck" in the middle of an operation. I dont know how else to explain it other than sort of like my brain froze. It was so bizarre. Later I had trouble doing simple decimal division !!!! . I had to breathe, look around the room, ..... I almost wanted to thump my head like winnie the pooh and say THINK THINK THINK. Frankly it was embarrassing with all these kids eyes on me! I redeemed myself by saying see how difficult your work is these days, its even hard for me!! I knew it had to be the topomax. I didnt like it at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to assume it will pass as I get used to the increase in dose...

Topa and math

Hey Vida,

I don't really have anything constructive to add to your specific situation, but as you've probably realized by now, that usually doesn't stop me from talking, anyway: . I've been baffled by math since long before the topa. I've noticed some slowness however, as I dosed up, but that seems to have disappeared now. What you describe seems to be a fairly typical topa dopa effect though!

I'm lucky my daughter has been a whiz kid in math, cause I never would have been able to help her with her homework! They allowed me to escape from highschool only getting as far as geometry, and majoring in psych in college, I only had to take rudimentary math.

Sorry you had to suffer that embarrassment with the kids, and it's true, they really do have to learn some pretty hard stuff these days in school!

Good luck!
    Kathy

Comment

Topa and math

Kathy,I was good at math in college and now I can't divide numbers so it almost feels like topa has the ability to rob you of a few IQ points, ....but you know what, not waking up hungover, or losing whole evenings to the blur of drinking (again and again and again ) and all the associated self-loathing that goes along with it...... is so VERY worth it to me right now!. Especially since one hears that this dopiness is temporary, and will pass.

Comment

Topa and math

Hi Vida,

When you consider that Topa is a drug that interacts with the brain-the loss of basic algebra skills could happen. I noticed it too. My husband is working on his bachelors and I was helping him with his algebra class and went blank also. I just said, "Its been a long time" I just reviewed the books samples and it came back. My suggestion would be to have a cheat sheet near by just in case.

Good luck!

-Nina

Comment

Topa and math

Oops! Duh! I feel pretty silly! Well, I guess you've got me beat hands down in the math department, Vida! Nina's idea of a cheat sheet seems the answer, then, and not just a nice pat on the back and a "there, there, dear!" Anyway, hopefully, things will get better in the (what we delicately call) brainfart department soon! :lol

Luv,
          Kathy

Comment

Topa and math

It went alot better this week, and I found out where the teacher's key was 8o

Comment

Working...
            X