topa side affects...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topa side affects...

Hi first week on topa and this morning went to drink my favorite Dt Mt Dew out of can and it taste like crap. Was expecting it just not so soon. I'm wondering how long this will last and if it affects other things like can soups, veggies....

Anyone else have the side affect?

Thanks for any info.
    Tammie

topa side affects...

topa side affects

Hi Tammie,, I'm on day 3 of Topa & feel like I can bareley function. My teeth & fingers are tingling, & I can't concentrate. I also feel like a "Hormono-psychopath"...but I know it's not PMS! My poor Hubby, think he's ready to buy me a drink! At least he doesn't have to see me all day! I haven't worked all week because I haven't felt like climbing ladders... I hope I adjust to this stuff stuff soon , 'cause, this aint' workin' so far,... Tryng to hang in there, Judie

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: topa side affects

Hang in there. I am on day 3 also. However I'm starting out smaller dozes. I think you said your dr. started you out at 50 in the morning and 50 in the afternoon? I that right? I have the 50mg but am breaking it in half which isn't working very well...splits and powders...anyway so I am only doing probably less than 25mg a day so that maybe why the only side effect I am haveing is the crappy pop can taste.

Let me know what dose you are doing?

Thanks,
      Tammie

Comment

topa side affects...

Hey Tammie, Just lost a post into cyber space! Couldnt'v' been anything I did!! I'm wondering if my Dr. precribed a higher dosage of Topa, because of my migraines, & my seizure disorder combo, I'm a mess! Dr's dream come true! lol...Husband's worst nightmare...in any case, they're both stuck w/me... Thanks for the reply, think I'll try & find a happy medium on the dosage, I don't take the dosage of Diliantin my Dr prescribes (1/2 seems to work fine for the past 6 yrs)Whadda thay know? , Hugs, Judie

Comment

topa side affects...

Oh Yeah Tammie , Me again, My Dr. has me on 50 mg 2x a day think that got lost into space some how... J

Comment

topa side affects...

topa side effects

Boy, if you're starting at 100 mg of topa, even in divided doses, no wonder you're experiencing side effects! The recommended doses are

Week 1 25 mg/ afternoon
            Week 2 50 mg afternoon
            Week 3 25 mg/ morn 50/mg afternoon
            Week 4 50 mg/ morn 50/mg afternoon

and so on, please read the book, because I can't remember it all here! But it is clear that you are starting way too quickly!

I don't drink/eat ANYTHING out of cans--it helps a lot! I read a post from one poor woman who had a lot of fillings and the topa was driving her crazy! I felt very bad for her. Hope this helps!

I'm up to 200 mg, and I'm doing fine. Quite mellow really, and no real cravings.

Kathy

Kathy

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: topa side effects

Hi Kathy, thanks for the reply. I think I have more fillings than I have teeth, & havn't had much of an appetite so, I'm forci'ng myself to eat soup (out of a can, hadn't thought abought it...)cept' ramem might bring my headache back--MSG... Need to get to the health food store, but not weather permitting, or nearby... Sorry I feel I'm not makin' maki'n much sense right now. Hugs & Prayers, Judie

Comment

topa side affects...

topa affects

Hi, I am on my 3rd day...I am doing 25mg a day but I take mine in the am. I do this because that is when I drank...lol! Kind of an emotional thing for me I guess. The only side effect I notice is the pop out of the can and was hoping that it would go away after awhile as I do love my Diet Mt. Dew. Oh well I will have to start buying the bottles. Bummer to hear about all canned items. It may be tough cooking for awhile as I do cook alot with cream of mushroom soup....

Judie, If you are really having a tough time with all the topa you might want to call your dr. and see if you can go down alittle to start. That does seem like alot.

Have a good night everyone.
                Tammie

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: topa affects

Hey guys - here are my side effects -

fingers tingling, sometimes I can't remember my words and my Coke tastes really funny - I think it's the carbonation, not the can, cause the bottles taste just as funny. I backed from 300 mg to 200 mg and they did lessen, so just hang in there. These are common side effects according to the book. I'm getting used to the tingling, kinda like it at times!!

Love to you all!
                  Marie

Comment

topa side affects...

Hey everybody, Does anyone else feel like they can't brush their teeth or shower enough? I feel like I taste & smell bad. It's awfull. I'm showering 2 x a day & brushing my teeth every time I go pee, I'm afraid they're gonn'a fall out! I'm also really tired, which is hard to believe. I usually drive my Honey nuts because I'm on the exercise bike, xxski mach., or ab lounge, all nite, after working all day. I haven't worked in a week & I'm exhausted. Maybe this isn't the right stuff for me! Really starting to wonder... Judie

Comment

topa side affects...

Hey Judie

I too am falling asleep all the time! I cut the Calms Forte out cause I nap in the afternoon and pass out at 9 on the couch! I can't even think of working out. I've become such a couch potato! I know if I can just get off my butt and move it would help, but I am soooooo tired! Anyone else feeling it? I am sure the winter weather doesn't help and I know I suffer from SAD too. Let's hear it people!

Marie

Comment

topa side affects...

No Topa, yet, but I'm doing that and I think I'll cut out the Calms Forte except at my REAL bedtime, not during the evening news! I woke at 12 last night and was up an hour...it's maddening. Maybe I'm too relaxed?

I did have one glass of wine last night and something made me sick at my stomach. Maybe the L-Glutamine? I didn't take it tonight, just the Kudzu, since I suspected it. We'll see...

Meanwhile, love and support to all! Anybody likely to be around at 10 tonight in chat?

Pat

Comment

topa side affects...

Hi everyone, I just got back from a week out of town so I missed alot of the board activity!

I have alot of fillings in my teeth (like all my molars), and I drink alot of sodas of all types, and am not having any problems in that regard, other than very slight taste changes.

There was alittle numbness/tingling in my toes that is infrequent and intermittent. I think exercise helps with all the side effects especially the tiredness. I noticed If I go out and exercise soon after taking a dose it feels alot better (seems to resolve the urge to take a nap) rather than just sitting still. Also cup of coffee or green tea is very helpful, i have found.

St Jude : the first week was the hardest, because I was not myself at all, partly due to eliminating all the soothing benefits of alcohol in my life. It (alcohol) was covering up alot of the hard things I had been avoiding dealing with .....and drinking had also been occupying ALOT of my time. It was like NOW what do I do? After discontinuing drinking so much of the time, I was irritible for a whole week, very jumpy, bored, antsy, unsure, stressed, lost, alone, anxious, sortof fearful almost, and faced with free open time, and very raw nerves. Also in my face were all the issues I had been running away from or putting on hold by just drinking instead. It made me a little wiggy and still does at times. But the benefits are worth it. I am finding that out.

I guess my point is, alot of the bad things I was feeling at first could be attributed to alcohol "withdrawal" (even though I only drank 0 to 2 to 6 max drinks per day) (most days: 4, that was my magic number) rather than to topamax side effects.

Comment

topa side affects...

Oh I dont take the calms forte any more now at all, either, unless I need help getting to sleep! I am on week 5.

Comment

topa side affects...

topa efffects

Hi All,

I was very tired when I first started topa, and then when I stopped drinking, Jan 3rd. That pretty much stopped, though, even though I raised my dose. I did slip yesterday (almost a bottle of wine, including a hangover:x ), and the tired feeling came back real strong. I think the topa is great, once you get used to it, although some people need to titrate up very slowly. Exercise does help a lot, and when you start to feel tired, if you get moving, it really helps a lot. I know how hard that is, but it really WORKS.

I have been going to be earlier when I can, but part of that is just the winter thing, and I'm trying to respect my body's natural rythyms. Heck, if we didn't have electricy, we'd all be in bed by 7 pm at this time of year, except all of our buddies down under!

Hugs,
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X