Is alcoholism really a disease???? here is some insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey all I don't come here as often as I used to. but still lurk once in a while.
    here is some interesting info regarding alcoholism. is it really a disease?

Alcoholism is not a Disease
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Holy smokes. Do you think that article is long enough? I have had to read it in 3 parts already, and haven't even finished it! :H

Very interesting though. I think there is a lot of different opinions out there regarding whether or not alcoholism is a disease or not. They seem to be comparing it a lot with Cancer (as far as I had gotten in the article) and seeing cancer can be 'seen' and alcoholism cannot, then there seems to be some doubt?

My question is, then, why does the frontal lobe of our brain shrink after years of alcohol abuse? Seeing they did studies on deceased persons; ones who drank and ones who didn't and there were significant differences in frontal lobe brain size. Wouldn't this cause one to become irrational and lose control of what is right and what is wrong? Behavioural problems, depression, etc.

I guess, the bottom line is that we have the choice to drink or not to drink. If someone cannot control the amount they drink, or how often they drink, then abstaining is the logical choice. All deviant activities (as mentioned in the article), should not be condoned because of alcohol and the medical profession claiming it to be a disease.

Interesting though, that once the medical profession put it out there labeling it a 'disease' it completely back fired on what they had initially intended to accomplish. Now people are using this 'disease' as an excuse for a lot of deviant behaviour.

Who knows, eh? I get really confused when it comes to this. All I know is that I had to quit. Disease or not.

No matter what any article says, I personally blame ALL of my past criminal activity & deviant behaviour on alcohol abuse. ALL OF IT! Of course I am kidding!

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see you.

Comment

I would say that Alcohol causes diseases, and not just one or 2 but many, and that is probably why it is difficult to pin point.
      nervous and psychological disorders.
      it could cause cancer problems with digestion yeah I can go on.
      the funny thing is that a lot of the research done for alcoholism alcohol abuse, is done with people who have severe drinking troubles.

yep I still lurk cause I miss you guys.

Trix

Comment

Miss ya too Trix!!

I've given up on the psychological and philosophical debates behind alcoholism!! I just know I have a serious problem that I've addressed with many thoughts and ideas in the past. I'm not saying I haven't had to go through this process first and gain some understanding of my alcoholism but I think today I am more concerned with letting go of my past. I've obviously had to dig deep into my past before I was able to move forward but that time is now upon me. I hope this doesn't come across too self centered as it is not my intention. I still worry about the social impacts that alcoholism has on our society and how it is effecting our youth.

Love ya Trix!
        Hippie
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi, Trix, really good to see you.

Interesting article.

I have a couple of thoughts.

1. AA does not say we are not responsible for drinking. AA states it is a disease and we are responsible for controlling the disease. I have never figured out why that is such an issue.

2. I liken alcoholism to Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes is controlled through diet, exercise and sometimes medication. Individuals who have Type 2 diabetes get it for a myriad of reasons which are unknown, but there are many others who do not get it despite living the same life style and having the same eating patterns. Type 2 Diabetes tends to be genetic and run in families. Type 2 Diabetics are responsible for controlling their disease or serious consequences insue.

Is Type 2 Diabetes a disease or a choice?

Like AFM and Hippie, I really could care less about the semantics of the disease/not disease.

Us alcoholics are responsible for controlling "it" and insuring that we do not hurt ourselves and more importantly others because of "it."

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I found this article very interesting. There is a definate rhetoric in twelve step groups; a 'group think.'
            What is most troubling to me is that AA does get this blanket acceptance, instead of being looked at and examined critically, like everything in medicine is supposed to be.
            I'm fine with people that go to AA, I just think it is too bad that one has to dig a little, or a lot deeper to find something else.
            I just don't like hegemonies.
            Thank you!
            Lila

Comment

Lila,

Now there is where I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I abhor the whole, do the 12 Steps, there is nothing else mentality.

There should be (and is but it is slow) lots of research into alternative "cures" for alcoholism.

Letting AA be the do all end all is not a good idea. I believe in growth everywhere.

I go to AA, I like AA, attending meetings, especially when I am alone out of town is of immense help. I have met so many wonderful people there all over my country that it astounds me and overwhelms me. Good, kind, caring people.

Does AA "work" for everyone? No.

We cannot let it stop with 12 Step programs, we must keep pushing the envelope and find what helps as many as possible.

My area of interest was biology and physiology as a youngster but I did not go down that path for various reasons. Today, I really regret that choice. I would be pushing for more and more research into alcoholism/addictions.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Boy am I looking forward to reading this, even if it is long.

I think it's important to distinguish whether alcoholism is a disease in itself or whether it is a behavioral/mental disorder that causes physical diseases. How can you cure something if you don't know what it is?

I agree with Trixie.

The difference is... saying it is a disease implies you are somehow biologically predestined to be an alcoholic. That there is something in you that is alcoholic. But this something cannot be measured. It sounds completely unscientific to me.

Also, seems like a large number of alcoholics have had traumatic experiences in their childhood and substance abuse is linked to psychological disorders.

We would be unwise to accept a simple definition that alcoholism is a disease like cancer or an allergy without scientific evidence. And there doesn't seem to be any!

I don't think this has to be classed a disease to have sympathy for people who have the problem or to mandate payment for treatment. A psychological compulsion that causes people to self-destruct mentally and physically should be enough for that.

Comment

the warning on the bottle should say
                  drinking to excess is potentially harmful to your mental and physical health.
                  and this should be put in one of those yellow warning signs.

Comment

cindi;343111 wrote: Hi, Trix, really good to see you.

Interesting article.

I have a couple of thoughts.

1. AA does not say we are not responsible for drinking. AA states it is a disease and we are responsible for controlling the disease. I have never figured out why that is such an issue.

2. I liken alcoholism to Type 2 Diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes is controlled through diet, exercise and sometimes medication. Individuals who have Type 2 diabetes get it for a myriad of reasons which are unknown, but there are many others who do not get it despite living the same life style and having the same eating patterns. Type 2 Diabetes tends to be genetic and run in families. Type 2 Diabetics are responsible for controlling their disease or serious consequences insue.

Is Type 2 Diabetes a disease or a choice?

Like AFM and Hippie, I really could care less about the semantics of the disease/not disease.

Us alcoholics are responsible for controlling "it" and insuring that we do not hurt ourselves and more importantly others because of "it."

Love,
                    Cindi
                    diabetis doesn't come in a bottle or a can.

I totally agree with the above

Comment

This debate does go on and on. No, I do not think alcoholism can be compared to diabetis, not type one or two. Diabetis is a malfunction of the pancreas (an organ). It can be controlled but never cured by diet, exercise and or meds. There is no choice in diabetis.

I definitely believe that there is a mental health component in drinking. I also believe that trauma, especially early childhood trauma plays a role.

I can say this, I get really annoyed when I hear some people whine that this is a "disease" and use this as an excuse to continue destroying not only their own lives, but the lives of others in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I have great compassion and empathy for those that struggle with alcoholism, but at the same time, it is what it is and it is greatly up to us, whether or not we become non-drinkers.
                      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

exposing one self to toxins long term can cause illness.

Comment

new book

a really great new book out about this topic is a memoir by a father who struggles to help his son. Lots of good research on this topic in it, and a GREAT read for any addict or friend/family member trying to understand us.
                          "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff

Comment

Thanks for that article, Trixie, and thanks all for some great comments here.

Personally, I found the article's take on AA right to the point and so true. It's so sad that something purportedly meant to help people-- desperate and suffering people-- actually does more harm than good (the exceptions are people like Cindi, who doesn't really follow an AA programme, but gets support and comraderie out of the social contact with others who share her problem).

However, I was provoked by the emphasis this article puts on the choice the alcoholic has, as if the alcoholic is always in control and behaves consciously and purposefully in a way to make themselves addicted-- c'mon! Nobody chooses to be addicted to something!

On the other hand, I do believe we have a choice about recognizing our problem and taking action to control it. In fact, we have a responsibility to do that. And that is what all the good people here on this site are doing, with varying degrees of success. I believe that anyone who does not give up trying will overcome alcohol dependence, whether you call it a "disease" or a "social problem".

Just as an aside, some people can drink huge amounts without becoming addicted, while others become addicted in a short time. There is obviously a genetic link (despite this article trying to refute it, there is a considerable amount of scientific evidence for a genetic link, the most compelling of which is studies done on twins who were separated from their parents and their twins at birth) that at least makes people more vulnerable. Of course this doesn't mean they are pre-destined to become alcoholics, it just means their physiology is such that if exposed to the same circumstances as someone without the genetic propensity, they are more likely to develop alcohol problems.

No matter how you look at it, disease or not, I think we all agree that we do have a choice about trying to overcome alcoholic addiction, and that we must do so.

Anyway, thanks Trixie. And thanks, Anne, for the book recommendation.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks for link Trixie. Lots of useful info here.

Comment

Working...
                              X