Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect of sobriety on fitness

Hi everybody,

Started this thread to share a very peculiar experience.

I quit alcohol three months back after finding this site.

For the past 17 years, running has been my regular fitness activity. I was inspired to take up jogging / running after reading 'Aerobics' by Dr. Kenneth Cooper which has become my fitness bible since then. This is a book published way back in 1968 and although a lot of further insights and knowledge have been added to the field of fitness, this book is reputed to have brought about a fitness revolution. The USP of the book is its precise quantification of fitness levels and the detailed programs to reach our optimum level of fitness.

According to Dr. Cooper, any male between 20 to 60 and without any significant medical problems should be able to run atleast 1.5 miles ( 2.4 km) in 12 minutes. This is six rounds on the standard track. This has been defined as category-IV fitness and if one is not able to reach this, by following a clearly delineated fitness program, one can reach this fitness level within 8 - 12 weeks.

I took up running as a fitness activity at age 20 ( never was remotely athletic btw) and for the past 17 years tried to keep up this category-IV level of fitness. Was a heavy smoker during this period and 3 -4 years back, in my early-thirties could not maintain this level of fitness even after regular runs. I almost thought that smoking had damaged my fitness permanently.

Gave up smoking 1 1/2 years ago and immediately within three months could again climb back to category -IV fitness.

All through these years, whenever I stopped working out for any significant period of time, I had to run for atleast a couple of months before climbing upto category IV fitness.

Now coming to the point. I stopped my running routine in January this year. Have stopped drinking since March, but have not done any regular physical exercise for the last three months except for sporadically doing breathing exercises(pranayama). Two weeks ago, I walked into the gym and was curious to check my fitness level. Took the 12 minute test and was astounded to complete 2.5 km in 12 minutes! Never in the past 17 years have I been able to do this - stay at category -IV fitness without any significant fitness routine! The only change in my lifestyle has been giving up alcohol.

Secondly, in these three months of being sober, I also have lost one-and-a-half inches from my none too significant waist ( 33 1/2 inches to 32 inches) again just by giving up alcohol. Talk about empty calories!

The lesson is crystal clear to me. All this while, alcohol was affecting my fitness adversely and the present improved fitness level gives me added motivation to stay al-free.

Just wanted to share my experience with all friends here.

Warm Regards

LessofaDoubter
    *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Doubter
    It really is amazing in how many ways alcohol affects us. It's even more amazing that we don't see it at the time. Three months has brought about many positive changes for you. I'm glad that you are motivated to continue on. Imagine the additional positive changes that you will see in another 3 months. I'm so glad that you are LessofaDoubter.

Comment

thankx for sharing ..doubter.. keep up the great work .. you have done an awesome job..
      peace , love and god bless
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Doubter -- great observation ... I believe that eliminating Al gives us more all around energy and perhaps that is why your fitness level was easily attainable -- since you've stopped have you been more productive in other areas? I know for me that when I am drinking it is me, my mine, the TV an my dogs. When I am not drinking (which is day 11) I have been a ball of energy!!!!

I am going to attempt the fitness test tomorrow!!! (NOT!)
        Tiny

Comment

Doubter,

Thanks for sharing that. It really shows what effect alcohol has on us in terms of wearing the body down.

Really glad to "see" you again and very happy to hear you are doing so well.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Doubter, great post!

I've also found that al consumption definitely slows my O2 uptake. I used to wheeze like a freight train at workout, but now I'm much more calm and my cardio is better for no other reason than giving up the toxic brew.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good for you, Doubter!!

I am also a grateful recipient of a healty outcome after kicking AL out the door. I jumped back into a fitness routine a month ago after giving up AL for three months. I was also astounded at my energy level. I went for a hike last weekend and thought, maybe I would make it halfway to where I used to go.. not only did I make it to the top, I almost sprinted the whole way!! I have also lost 20 pounds since January..

Yes, indeed.. a great motivator!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep up the good work!

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

I'm constantly surprised by my increased energy levels when I refrain from drinking...I often wish I could undo the unhealthy-ness of my past 8 years.

As someone who suffers from various lung conditions, I find consumption of alcohol has an adverse affect on my cardiovascular health - something my doctors refuse to commit to agreeing to.
                grey goose is NOT my friend...

Comment

Just 3 weeks AF

...and I have begun riding my bike for the first time in several years. Dusted it off and went on 2nd ride today. Forgot how much I love being outside and pumping the pedals. Today I thought maybe I will go on a long ride that I used to do, 21 miles. Not ready yet, but just to think I wanted to go was amazing for me. Three weeks ago I would have laughed at the thought of it. Looking forward to all the great rides and the way it makes me feel. So from here on I plan to use the momentum of exercise to build on my AF lifestyle. Amazing-day 23 ...I'm psyched. Just need to stay away from triggers and people who don't respect the fact that I choose not to drink. If I do fall though I know that I can get back up and do this if I want. Good to have a place to vent and also be inspired by others. thanks for listening

H

Comment

Cooper's 12 minute test

Hello everybody!

This is in continuation to my first post on this thread.

I've just copied below a link to a detailed table indicating desired levels of aerobic fitness for both males and females of all ages. This is as per the Cooper's 12 minute test :

Test your fitness with the Cooper Test

In my opinion, everybody who feels up to it, upto the age of 60 and without any medical complications & following a regular exercise routine, can try the 12 minute test to assess his/her fitness levels.

headless
                    , nice to see that you are channelising your newfound energy in dusting up your bike. Just post again to share your experience of the 21 mile ride! All the best.

Comment

thank you!

I wanted you to be the first to know Doubter..... after we got off of yahoo this morning, I did my 30 minutes of NordicTrack... and it felt wonderful!
                      I was a bit concerned that I would find it tough to do, after all these set-backs I've had over the past several months... but it felt like I had picked up where I had left off.... I could have so easily gone for another 20 minutes or more (just started getting into the zone)... but ran out of time.
                      (the dreaded drain plug again.... lol)
                      I can see that I will soon be back up to 60 minutes with the NordicTrack & also doing my strength/cardio workouts again! I feel so ecstatic about this!
                      Thank you for being there for me then.... now.... and always :l

I'm in such a good mood right now, I'll even let you call me 'Doubter'sBunny' for the day! lmao
                      AF 6 years
                      NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Great!

Way to go Angel! Just take it slow and steady.

I now remember, in November last year, suddenly jumped into playing shuttle badminton, which can be strenuous if you choose it to be.Was playing on cement flooring, and on the third day, bam! felt a sudden jerk in my lower back, and had to be almost bedridden for the next couple of days.

Moral of the story, take it nice and easy & crank the exercise routine up gradually.

I'll be keen to hear updates.

bunny-in-arms
                        D

Comment

I did my workout!

doubter;350645 wrote: Way to go Angel! Just take it slow and steady.
                          I'm glad to see that you didn't put 'slow & steady' in the same sentence as my name! :H

Did you get to the gym today??? I kept my promise, and am here to check in...oh, and I looked at those tables...now what??? lol (btw....those cartoon figures are...ummmmm... a nice addition) tee hee

I did NordicTrack yesterday, and today I did my first cardio/strength video workout since late Feb.... it felt great to get back into doing those fun moves!
                          I love the classic Firm workouts.... they use low step boxes for part of their cardio work, high step boxes (14") for sculpting hips & thighs, and a range of different weight dumbells for strength training. The music is motivating & the moves are fun... I guess it takes me back to the ol' cheerleading days... now that probably got a good laugh from you, didn't it?? :H No doubt it's hard for you to imagine Angel cheering people on, instead of throwing rocks or kicking someone's butt if they don't stay in line! LOL
                          Kind of sad to look back & see that this was the time of my life when AL & partying started to become the main focus...taking over other interests that I had.

I consider my Nordictracking totally different than my cardio/strength workouts. The NordicTrack is a repetitious form of exercise...I can do this first thing in the morning, it's mindless...just crank up the tunes & go for it until I get into 'the zone'.... and from there on (happens around the 25 minute mark for me).... is sheer bliss. My other workouts might get me into the zone, but the effect is totally different... the moves are complex & always changing, so the mind needs to stay alert, so I think for these workouts, being in 'the zone' is a way for the body to get through the ordeal! lol

Like I said, just checking in...hope you have a great day... if I don't show up tomorrow morning in yahoo, you'll know that I'm seized up from my workout & can't get out of bed! :H :H :H
                          AF 6 years
                          NF 7 years

Comment

My new fitness plan

Angel & all other friends here on mwo !

Bumped this thread up to record my thoughts and my new resolution.

Its now four months since I first came to MWO and from then on, haven't touched a drop of alcohol. ( smirnoff was my poision-of-choice - still am in sort of awe with their marketing strategies. Let's admit, poison selling sure is a fine art! ).

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, have found that my aerobic fitness has really been upto the mark in this four months, definitely because of being alcohol-free . At present I've arrested the two major debilitating addictions of my life - smoking and alcohol - and have been hitting the gym regularly .

I've taken part in a five kilometer run in January '08 and for a first time runner, ended with a reasonable time of 28 minutes.

As I've completed four months of sobriety, I was contemplating on my goals for the next four months. Have sporadically been an amateur running enthusiast , so now I resolve to use some of the free time (alcohol was stealing away time-probably our most important resource) available to achieve long-cherished fitness goals.

One of these is taking part in a ten kilometer run. I've now printed a schedule from runners world ( Runner's World.Com : Running, Racing, Training and More.) which gives a detailed plan to reach fitness levels required to do a 10 km run, within sixteen weeks.

The schedule starts with about 9 miles of running in the first week- three sessions a week- and gradually working up to about 20 miles by week 15.

Putting this post up , as a tool for motivation , a log of my actual performance and also to request any one who would like to start a fitness routine to join as partners.

Its monsoon here in eastern India where I reside, so we shall be having heavy rains for the next two months and hence running out in the open will not be possible. All my running has to be on the treadmill for the next 1-2 months.

I count yesterday's run on the treadmill as my first run. I ran for 30 minutes at 10.1 kmph; distance 5.1 km. Reasonable start. Next run scheduled on Tuesday- tomorrow. Repeat of the first session.

Are you listening Angel? Do I hear the NordicTrack already creaking frenetically , trying to keep pace with Doubter....:H:H:H

LessofaDoubter

Comment

doubter;355332 wrote: Are you listening Angel? Do I hear the NordicTrack already creaking frenetically , trying to keep pace with Doubter....
                              It didn't today :stomper: ... but I bet you're not going to hand out any demerit points, are you???
                              Wonder if this would help my fitness goals?? :hateputer:

:no:
                              No??? Don't like that idea??
                              Okay you tell me... how do I make time for :baaah: & :ranger & :bedtime: ??
                              AF 6 years
                              NF 7 years

Comment

Working...
                              X