Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GABA

Hi everyone,
    I asked about this in another thread, but maybe it got lost in the discussion....I remember people mentioning GABA in earlier posts. What is the dosage, and what is it supposed to do? As with L-glutamine, it was not in the MWO book.

Thanks,
    CS

GABA

GABA by itself is not in the orginal MWO. I saw it mentioned in an artical that RJ posted. It said that topamax boosted levels of GABA(gamma-aminobutyric acid). I inquired on the boards if we should take it and RJ reminded me that it was in All in One powder. I don't take the All-in-One. I bought it by itself and take 750 mg 3X a day. A good dosage might be to look at how much is in the All in one and take the same if you are not opting to take the All in one. Just a thought.

-Nina

Comment

GABA

All in One

Nina -- Just wondering why you chose to forgo the All in One. The idea of a nutritional powder sounds a little gross, but will do if necessary, esp. since I probably won't be doing Topa. (Although the nudge that got me back to the MWO website was an ad in the paper for a free trial prescription of Topamax...and for 2 days [right after C-mas hoopla, no less] I had this nagging memory of "where have I heard of that before?" So maybe it's a sign.

CS

Comment

GABA

Re: All in One

Well....It is pretty expensive and I already feel like I am popping pills all day. I am kinda non-commital and really didn't think I would commit to this program in the begining myself so I went for the stong drugs instead to see if it was worth it. Probably makes no sense.

I am doing well without the all-in-one, but remember reading it was on sale and thought about giving it a try. Anyone remember what website that was?

-Nina

Comment

GABA

Re: All One

The food co-op hd it on sale for $25.99, reg. 35.99. Maybe it's a company promotion, rather than our local store. The MWO website has a 15% discount, too.

In the book, RJ outlines that the major supplement-blitz is only for 6 weeks. Do most people continue to take all of them?

Comment

GABA

Re: All One

Not really sure, but so many people have raved on it that you should probably get it. I had a really hard time in the begining and it would have probably helped. If it is on sale and you can afford it go full force, I really wish I had from the begining.

-Nina

Comment

GABA

Taking the plunge

I had errands to run this afternoon, and had to drive right by the Vitamin Shoppe, so decided to stop in and check out what they had. Kinda overwhelming! When I checked their website, they had everything for the program and at better prices than our health food store. I initally told myself I was "just looking" and checking prices, but then I decided -- what the hell, just buy the damn things -- put some money where your mouth (keyboard?) is. They had Vitamin Shoppe store brands for several of the supps, so therefore cheaper -- including the All One powder. Their brand was $19.95. Now the next step is to talk to hubby and order the CDs.

Part of what feels less daunting about this program is that the major part of it is 6 weeks (or thereabouts). It seems finite and doable. Not like FOREVER, or I have to change THE REST OF MY LIFE right now. Of course I want long term, but starting with discrete parts, in a reasonable length of time, is less formidable.

Thanks,
              CS

p.s. when sending replies, is there a difference between clicking the red "reply" on the left, or the blue "Add reply" box on the right?

Comment

GABA

Re: Taking the plunge

I don't think so. I always do the blue one, but just clicked the red one and the screen looked the same. I am rooting for you CS. You seem to have come so far in only a week or two!

Keep us posted.

-Nina

Comment

GABA

The thing I've noticed about the two buttons is the message you hit reply to shows on the bottom under what your typing. So if you wanted to reply something specific to a certain post, you could see what the post was as you were typing your reply if you use the red button to the left of the post. The blue button shows the last message on the thread as you are replying.

CS, I totally agree with you about this program being less daunting. I could never bring myself to say I could never ever drink again in my life which is what is expected in AA. Of course I know I have a problem, but their way of dealing with it was a big turn off. With MWO I don't feel like I'm getting a label that I have to keep the rest of my life. Maybe I won't drink for the rest of my life, or maybe in a couple years I'll have a glass or two of wine here and there. I'm capable of deciding if that is an option without being labeled an 'alcoholic' and having to say that to a room full of strangers.

I don't mean to put AA down, it just isn't for me. If it works for others, that is great and more power to you.

People here are strangers to me as well, but I feel so much more comfortable posting that I would talking in person. Tell me if anyone has been to an AA meeting where you compared your alcohol hiding spots?!? I do talk to my close friends and husband, but I'm not always as brutally honest as I can be here.

Anyway, CS, great first step buying the supps and powder. You're in the right place and I have a feeling you are going to do great!

Marcie

Comment

GABA

Marcie, Cs and all

Here, Here! I tried AA once and none of our conversations came up. It is so nice to be able to laugh, cry, disclose our intermost confessions to everyone here on line. Oh my gosh, the hinding the booze if enough to crack me up. High five to everyone! I too have ordered everything and am still..waiting. Can't wait.

Tammie

Comment

GABA

told husband

Well, I waited till the end of the night, but I finally told him. I didn't go into a long treatise about the book and the topa and the supps and everything, but I said that I really wanted to cut down my drinking and I had found some stuff on the internet, recommending vitamins/etc., that I thought was going to be helpful. He said ok, and why the enlightenment now. I had been feeling really rough about turning 40 -- not 'oh I'm old' cause that doesn't bother me, but I have just known that I cannot continue like this. In fact I knew this from exactly a year ago. So I turned 40 yesterday, and that has really been the catalyst. I have also been home sick all week, so given me a lot of time to think (and post, and read). Anyway, he said that if there was anything I wanted him to do, to let him know. I told him that there were these hypnotherapy CDs that seemed a little cheesy, but I am going to try them anyway.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. Here is another quote that has haunted me for many years, from Elanor Roosevelt: "You must do the thing that you cannot do." I have known what that is for a long time, and it is just time.

CS

Comment

GABA

Re: told husband

Congrats CS, I'm proud of you. That was a big step telling your husband.

You're doing the right thing, it's not easy, but life will only get better from here. Think of all the time you won't be spending drinking, being hungover, lying, making excuses, etc.

Best of luck to you, we're all behind you.

Marcie

Comment

GABA

Cs,

What a wonderful quote. It is so true.

Congrats on telling your hubby, they can be the worst and the best support depending on which you have...I happen to have the best and I hope that I can make it up to him some time in the future.

I am also wacked out about the cd's...haven't received them yet, but they are on order and I will give them my all. Just never really believed in that before. I do think with this program you have to be ready and able to do it all. So that is what I will do and with and open and hopeful mind.

I hope you have that wonderful hubby too and Happy Birthday!

Keep in touch,
                          Tammie

Comment

GABA

You guys are all hysterical. I've had a rough few days and you are all just what the doctor ordered. I've been rolling on the floor reading all the posts about the hiding places for liquor, trying to figure out which are the funniest. And I've done most of them - but not the snow or the tampon box. I have done the suitcases! And what's saddest is that I've done it even when there's no one else here! But when I find out that everyone else has done it, I'm dying with laughter. Thank you, you guys. That hiding liquor thread has tickled me to death. What else can we come up with? We do need to laugh!

Adria

Comment

GABA

Hi Adria,

I also hit the booze when no one else was around!
                              I've been laughing all night. I keep re-reading the posts.
                              I laughed so much I needed a glass of water to rehydrate.

E

Comment

Working...
                              X