Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading list!

Hi,

I am new to the program and am one who loves to read! Reading takes your mind off things; and can heal when you have read the right book.

Through out the site there are many mentions of good books to read. I'm sorry to say that I did not write them down when I saw them and now can not recall which threads had them.

If anyone knows of any good books that might help me and others...maybe we could get a list started.

With MY Way Out being first of course.

Thank you for you time.
    Tammie

Reading list!

reading list

I accumulated a wealth of great reading material with my many previous attempts at sobriety. Too bad they weren't able to stop my drinking|I
    Here they are:
    "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp
    "Codependent No More" and "The Language of Letting Go"....both wonderful books by Melodie Beattie
    "Beyond the Influence..Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism" by Katherine Ketcham (really goes into the science part of this illness)
    "7 Tools to beat Addiction" by Stanton Peele, PhD

Comment

Reading list!

Re: reading list

"Happy Hours, Alcohol in a Woman's Life" by Devon Jersild.

Comment

Reading list!

good readin'

Hi Ya'll, Well this isn't alcohol related, but if you 'd like to enjoy some good reading, just for the fun of it. Try anything by Nicholas Sparks. Talk about heart wrenching... One of my favorites is "The Notebook". Make sure you have full box of kleenex w/you tho. That man could yank emotions out of a rock... Hugs Judie

Comment

Reading list!

Re: good readin'

This is a novel, but is alcohol related. Very entertaining and fast moving, kindof along the lines of caroline knapp's memoir: alcohol, a love affair .

The book is "DRY", by Augusten Burroughs.

(info: the author is gay)

Comment

Reading list!

Re: good readin'

Oooh Vida21 I have Dry, I need to dust that off. I read Drinking, a love story, wow! That was a good one. I also like Sober for Good for practical advice.

Comment

Reading list!

Re: Reading...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the good book info. I live in a small town and have to travel into "large metro" for books. We do have a small Library...can't really check books out with subject!

Anyway, Daughter has appt, so I will be by mall.

Thinking I will pick up "Drinking, A Love Story" and "Dry"....

Any coments or changes to my list that might be better?

Thanks, Tammie

Comment

Reading list!

another good book

Also good is How to Quit Drinking without AA. The author is Jerry somebody. he favors abstinence but there are some helpful charts and ideas.

CS

Comment

Reading list!

books

How did you like Co-dependant Nomore. I am suppose to start that one.

Comment

Reading list!

Hi Tammie,

You won't regret reading Caroline Knapp, she was an elegant and insightful writer; in addition to "Drinking: A Love Story" she also wrote a terrific book called "Pack of Two:The Intricate Bond Between People And Their Dogs. After the death of both her parents and her hard-fought journey to sobriety, Knapp took on a canine companion, "Lucille", as one way of helping her deal with the myriad emotional hurdles she was unaccustomed to having to face without liquid reinforcement. The book does a wonderful job of describing their relationship, along with providing lots of information about the human/animal connection in general. Knapp was just a very fine writer, and her premature death a few years ago is a great loss.

"Change Me Into Zeus' Daughter: A Memoir" by Barbara Robinette Moss, is a book that you won't be able to put down. Her writing style is lyrical but unflinching, and captures the chaos and horror of alcoholism like little else out there.

"All Over But The Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg, as much an homage to the dignity and love of his mother as a brilliantly written account of his hardscrabble southern childhood and journey to New York Times Pulitzer Prizewinning career, with his complicated feelings about his alcoholic father thrown in the mix.

"Dry", Augusten Burrough's memoir. (Gina I know this reads like a novel but it really happened! It's an account of Augusten's prodigious ad-agency success, his colleagues' intervention (and his forced rehab stay), attempts at sobriety, devastating relapse, emotional wallops and ultimate success. He is witty and irreverent, honest and sarcastic, biting and poignant.
                    Burroughs also wrote the hilarious (and at times surreal) "Running With Scissors", which goes a long way toward explaining "Dry"!

"Traveling Mercies" by Anne Lamott is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite writers. Get this book and you won't be sorry. She's just the best; warm and funny and real and comfortable and self-deprecating and honest and human. She writes about life and her alcoholism and love and dysfunctional families and her son and, well, just about everything with such a fearless and true eye, such a generosity of spirit. Do yourself a favor and get it.

Got to run so I will post others as they come to me.

Best,
                    Kate

Comment

Reading list!

others by C. Knapp

Caroline Knapp has written several others, in addition to those that Kate mentioned. One is called Appetites (I think) where she addresses her earlier eating disorders, and the other is called The Merry Recluse, a collection of essays. I have read the latter but not the former. I too was shocked and saddened to learn of her death at 42.

Another book I saw at the food co-op is called Staying Clean and Sober
                      by Merlene and David Miller. Pub'd in 2005, it discusses many of the vitamins and amino acids in this program (though does not refer to MWO directly). I only thumbed thru it but it seemed to give more detailed explanations on why the supps work the way they do. May be helpful.

Thanks, Kate, for your good suggestions. Time to go to the library.

CS

Comment

Reading list!

other books from another Knapp fan

Seven Weeks to Sobriety - can't remember author - written by a woman whose son was taken by alcoholism at a very young age. full of nutritional / supplement info to support in one's recovery. great book.

Terry - by a senator whose name i also can't remember who lost his daughter to alcohol after she struggled for years and years and years with the disease. she died in a snowbank near her home. sad story but compelling. makes you glad to find support here and in the topomax kudzu supps, whatever you take, whatever it takes to avoid that!!

yep, love that caroline knapp!! and augusten burroughs, both books.

Sober For Good is full of practical advice but i'm skeptical of being able to moderate (isn't that the gist of this book?) without the help of topo or campral.

onoclea

Comment

Reading list!

Wonderful book list

Thanks to all for the wonderful list..I am having a tough time...still trying to get "all my ducks" lined up!

Anyway...enough, you will all hear my story at a later time.
                          However, do you all buy these books or check them out at the local Library? I don't think I could afford them all. I love to read, and visit the Library often..so maybe I will just sneak in a few of these books between my romance novels. Pathetic! I know..But, hey I live in a small town. (Oh alright, I can hear some of you now...which is worse Romance novels or Alcholic books....) lol!

Have a good day all,
                          Tammie

Comment

Reading list!

library

Tammie,
                            I understand how you feel about 'sneaking in' the books about drinking. I read "Drinking: A Love Story" at the library without checking it out. The library is at the end of my street, so every few days I would walk up there, pull it off the shelf, read a couple chapters, then put it back. Then I read most of it again last yr over Christmas when I was working at my part-time retail job, and I would go down to Borders at the mall on my lunchbreak! How pathetic! I also didn't want my husband to find the book here at home (he probably never even would have noticed). With "A Million Little Pieces," it was OK; since it was the Oprah book, then it didn't necessarily have to be about ME. Anyway, books do get expensive. You can read excerpts of Knapp's work on line, if you Google search. There are also e-books that you can download to a Palm, but I don't know anything about how those work, or if many titles are available.

I am having some other emotional and physical hurdles that are keeping me from starting the program in earnest. I do feel clearer headed, though, and the agonizing despair that has plagued me for so long doesn't seem to be there. (except for a job that I hate!) My husband and I seem to be communicating a little better too, and that feels better.

Take care,
                            CS

Comment

Reading list!

Re: library

Wow, I am getting very brave! I just requested (on-line) for the three following books to be reserved in my name at the Library: "Drinking, A Love Stroy", "Dry", and "Traveling Mercies"! This is a great start. Thanks to all for the recommendations. I was so worried, and still am. What will they think!...But like some one else mentioned on a different thread. "So what...I drink to much...." Sorry not sure if I have the quote right, but you get my drift.

ttfme -- this time for me

Comment

Working...
                              X