Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory loss

Hi All,

I am new to this site today, having failed at not drinking too much over Christmas and beating myself up every minute since! I really want to stop drinking especially to excess, and this seems like a good plan. My question is, has anyone out there suffered short term memory loss to the extent that you can't remember anything within minutes after you learned it? I had a bicycle accident and suffered a severe brain injury 15 years ago, but I am certain that my binge drinking has severely impaired my memory since then. Is this reversible after you stop? It is embarrassing and frustrating not to be able to remember the simplest thing right after someone told me. Thanks!! ~A~

Memory loss

Hi AlleyCat;

Welcome to the site! You are definetely in the right place. We have all been where you are now. I have had memory lapse situations, especially after a night of heavy drinking. I also have had it even serveral days after when I hadn't had anything to drink. I think your thoughts will clear up after a while, and you get a handle on everything.

Thanks for sharing, everybody that posts here is an inspiration.

I'll keep you in my thoughts. Let me know how you're doing.

Brandy

Comment

Memory loss

It has been shown by certain imaging techniques that heavy drinking shrinks the human brain. This affects women worse than men. I read this on a very informative and well referenced discussion on the SMART online discussion group. You could go to www.smartrecovery.org and do a search on "brain" or "brain damage". The faculties that were said to be the most impaired from repeated heavy drinking were memory, and the ability to plan and solve. The good news was that continuous abstinence appeared to allow the brain to begin to repair itself and even to start to regain its size. No kidding it was shrivelling up!

This happened to be an eye oppener to me regarding all my years of "over-celebrating". Gradually I have started to take it less and less lightly, and that scary fact among other things have helped land me in this "My way out" endeavor. Are you considering the program? With your history of a brain injury, you have complicating factors regarding the alcohol effect, but stopping the drinking can only be a world of help for your clarity and memory. What can it hurt to try?

Good luck to you!

Comment

Memory loss

Damm, lost my entire message. Give me a minute to settle and I'll type again.

Comment

Memory loss

Alley Cat,

I'm in the same place as you..... Bad car wreck 5 years ago. I often have bad issues with memory. My head went through the driver side window(imagine that was my only "real" injury. In most cases my memory issues are not related to drinking(really....) I think I use that as an excuse. Short term memory is awful(as in what appointments I have today, who did I talk to 30 minutes ago, is it someones bithday tomorrow, etc...)

I forget who I called and where I'm supposed to be even if I'm not drinking. This makes me upset so I drink afterwards.
          I'm sure my drinking has not helped. There are support groups for brain injuries(TBI)Traumatic Brain Injury. I haven't felt that I am a part of this yet.

WOW Alley cat -- Another connection made on MWO message board. I am so interested to hear in your situation because it sounds soooo familiar.

Does that tell everyone there is someone else out there like you(us)?

Marcie

Comment

Memory loss

Memory loss

Hi Memarcie,

I have tried several times to reply to your message, but guess what? I forgot my password, and forgot my secret question. Typical! Have you looked any further into TBI treatment? Your accident was more recent than mine, and maybe there are some brain reconnection exercizes that can be done to help with memory. I don't know... I'm so freaked out right now I have to figure out what to do about my being so spaced out right now I can barely function. I haven't had a drink since New Years eve, and this far after stopping I usually feel fine/clearheaded, but I am so disconnected I don't know if I'll ever be 'normal' again! I hope you're doing better. I found this awesome book called Energy Medicine by Donna Eden that at least helps get one's energy realigned. Take Care, ~Alliey~

Comment

Memory loss

Alliey,
              I never looked into the TBI groups. I'm doing much better these days though. 9 days sober - woohooo! I'm sure your head will clear up it just needs some time to recover. Drink lots of water and take vitamins if you are not already taking the powder and supps.

Marcie

Comment

Memory loss

memory

Just around the corner from 50 and have terrible memory loss. Don't remember what I did from one year to the next and been having a strange dajvu(sp). I am sitting or driving and then I have this odd feeling of been there done that and I can play out what is going to happen next. I then feel cold all over and want to jump out of my skin. I know I have lost brain cells to drinking and I am so mad at myself. Started the herbs, got the tape yesterday and will be picking up the meds tomorrow. I don't think my doc will let me go to 300. Will that be a problem

Comment

Memory loss

Re: memory

Here's some good news (formerly included in our research link but somehow accidentally deleted so I'll add back in.) I was reminded of it when reading this thread:

A 2004 Chappel Hill study indicates a mere *week* of abstinence resulted in an explosion of brain cell development. According to the report, "In the new study, senior co-author Crews and co-author Nixon found inhibition of neurogenesis, or brain cell development, during alcohol dependency, followed by a pronounced increase in new neuron formation in the hippocampus within four-to-five weeks of abstinence. This included a twofold burst in brain cell proliferation at day seven of abstinence."

Okay, the study subjects were adult rats, but this team was the same one to demonstrate the detrimental affects of alcohol on rat brains two years earlier. As the press release states, "This brain region is important for learning and memory--in animals and humans--and is linked to psychiatric disorders, particularly depression."

This exciting work contradicts the long held view that humans have a "fixed number of brain cells" for life. It is especially exciting for drinkers, who can regain cognitive function by quitting drinking or slowing down substantially.

It's also interesting the article mentions increased physical activity like running promotes neurogenesis--another reason to keep at that 20 to 30 minutes three times a week! The full article is here.

TBI poses a double whammy for those who drink, so I think this is particularly encouraging.

RJ

Comment

Memory loss

memory

Thank you for your response, just copied to read when my mind is in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                    X