Looking for email buddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for email buddy

Hi - I haven't started yet, got the book and tapes and all in one but haven't sourced the rest. I am living in Asia - same time zone as Perth Australia (I am an expat aussie :rolleyes ). I am female, late 40's and want to go back to being the drinker I was until about 5 years ago ... the take it or leave it kind.

I began "self-medicating" with alcohol when my life went through some major changes and when I had then, undiagnosed, general panic disorder. Ironically, one of the symptoms of that was a fear of taking drugs :lol . Except my favourite alcohol (the devil I knew, right?) and tobacco. I even gave up caffeine! And refused my wonderful GP's advice about anti-anxiety medication, anti-biotics even anti-histamines!!! I didn't want to "mess up" my brain. Weird, but true.

I finally did go on the meds in an attempt to gain some control over my life and my alcohol consumption. Unfortunately the alcohol has continued ... so I wonder whether the meds work at all. Guess which one I don't take when I am worried????

Anyway, this program appeals to me because even though I know I must have a genetic predisposition to alcohol, I also know I spent most of my life without it.

I think RJ's advice about having a quitting buddy is a great one ... I have kept my problem secret or at least, not in the open, from most people. My closest friend (back home) and family know, but on the few occasions they have referred to my excessive drinking their attitude is more one of fear and "how come you can't control yourself" rather than unqualified support. I hear the judgement in their voices, I guess, even though I know they love me.

So ... is there anyone out there who is thinking of starting or about to start who would like to buddy-up? I am assuming we can do a private message here?

Looking for email buddy

I'm going to the Doc. on Tuesday and will hopefully have all my supplements next week. I have started to abstain, this is the end of day three for me. I plan to take the campral, along with an extended abs.

I'm on the East Coast of the United States so I think there is a 15 hour difference between is, so that might make it a little strange. Perhaps you can have a bunch of buddies go work on this with.

Keep us posted...

Janet

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Looking for e-mail buddy

Hi, I'm thinking of trying this program too, Like AtlantaJJ, I live on the East Coast of the US. I think it would be nice to have an e-mail buddy. I just know that if I drink at all, I want it to be completely different than now, a once in a while thing, not a bottle of wine at night and more on weekends. This program seems promising--I have given AA a half-hearted try, but I get turned off by the black/white thinking in some groups, and the all/nothing approach to drinking. It's hard to fit meetings into your life, and being able to go online when you have time seems ideal to me. Anyway, I'll look for further posts on this board. Good luck!
      YAH

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Re: Looking for e-mail buddy

YoungHeart we are on the exact same page with the AA thing... You described my experience to a T. I'm going for an extended abstinence just to reprogram my behaviors. I know we can support each other through this.

I'm excited and highly motivated, this is day 4 of abs for me! And I did it over a weekend, woo hoo for me :rollin

Let's KIT and get this show on the road.

Comment

Looking for email buddy

How are you coming along? I am on day 2 and also looking for support and to be supportive. have you guys tried the chat?

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Hey Vida21;

I had to restart my clock of sobriety. I would like to buddy up with all of you to help support ourselves. This is great, to have people that REALLY are going through the same thing as I am.

Wow, all of you are great!!

Comment

Looking for email buddy

1st post

I just ordered the program. I am a 20+year heavy drinker. I just turned 40 have been married for almost 10 yrs. about two months ago my wife had enough. she wanted a Divorce due to my drinking. Currently we are seperated, and I think If I gain her trust back we might be able to work it out.

I have tried AA in the past. I think its a very demeaning program, I am not one to talk with strangers about my problems(face to face)

For all these years I've done well. I guess i am a closet drunk
              This morning I dumped all my Vodka and tonic. Its 10pm PST and I am not drunk?.....It feels pretty good. I just cannot sleep...

anyway thanks for forum.

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Welcome

Welcome;

Everyone here knows exactly what you are going through. Glad you reached out and found this website. How are you making out right now with it being the holidays?

AA I went 3 times and didn't go back. It works for many people but not for everybody.

Brandy

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Re: Welcome

Good for you for coming to the site. How are you feeling this morning? It is very hard physically to stop drinking and if you can't do it alone please try to see your doctor. Not being able to sleep is common as is sweating and shaking, drink a lot of water and if you can go for a bit of a walk, nothing too strenous though just a light stroll.

I hope you are okay and I know this will all be worth it in the end.

Hang in there.

YB

Comment

Looking for email buddy

thanks all

I was rough sleeping last night, just couldn't sleep, so I got up cleaned my apt, did laundry, drank alot of water. went back to bed around 1130pm...fell asleep around 2ish, woke up at 9 very refreshed!

I just got home from work, and resisted stopping at the store to pick up some vodka....so I should make it thru tonight with out drinking.

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Re: thanks all

WAY TO GO.
                      Here is a great big pat on your back!!!
                      Seems the benefits of not drinking are a really good trade up for the very short lived benefits of drinking. You just have to let yourself experience them!

Keep going. .... It gets easier I hear.

Comment

Looking for email buddy

FlatBlackFill is Philmcg.....trying to get the user name changed with ezboard.

one other cool thing. I ate today! Oatmeal before my workout, 90 minutes of weightlifting/cardo, 3 scambled eggs...a turky sandwhich for lunch, and chicken/pasta for dinner!!.......green tea/water thru out the day.

I must say eating was fun, a normal day would be oatmeal, turky sandwhich.......start drinking at 5ish......drink till I could'nt see, or walk too good.......then binge eat anything in site.....frozen burritos, fritos, junk crap food!!......trying to get un-drunk, so I could pour another drink.....

Today felt great.

Comment

Looking for email buddy

Phil;

Good for you! I'm so glad to hear it...

My thoughts are with you.

Brandy

Comment

Looking for email buddy

I want this to work!

I just found this today and I went out and bought most of the supplements and called the 877# to order the book and tapes but they were closed so I left my # so they can call me when the order dept is open.

I drink more than anyone knows and it is sorta like my best friend I guess BUT I decided yesterday that I wanted my life to be better and to get control over the drinking. I quit chewing my nails 10 yrs ago and I quit smoking 16 months ago so I KNOW I can break habits.

My family is raised and I am a widow for many years by choice because I am selfish I guess.........I don't like having a "monkey" on my back and I believe that this program may be just the thing to get me out of my negative behavior. I now am wondering what activity I will take up to take the place of drinking, any suggestions?

Comment

Looking for email buddy

curios

I've read all your stories and am really impressed with the way you all are giving a 100%..just wondering what the withdrawel symyoms are? Can anybody help me?

Comment

Working...
                              X