farewell to alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

farewell to alcohol

I was jut going through some of my old papers from rehab, and here is an example I was given of a farewell letter to alcohol. I'm sure many of us can relate.

Dear Alcohol,
    We go back a long way, you and I. I remember the first time I felt your touch. For a very long time it was a magical touch, but then the magic began to wear off and I became powerless.
    I speak to you as if you were a person. At times you were my best friend, at times you were my love. You were always there, ready to take me in and keep me forever. When I was hurt and lonely you took my pain away, but soon after, when I was happy you took my joy also.
    I loved you more than I loved life itself. For so long you were the center of all my waking minutes, and you were in all my dreams. I lived to feel you deep inside my body. I trembled in the morning until I could feel your calm go thru me. At times you made me feel like I could take on the world and within the next minute, death was my only wish.
    During our years together, I got to know you quite well. I knew your ups and downs and I loved the calm of you. For this high, I gave up my dignity, self respect and had you asked, I would have sold my soul.
    I have put myself and my kids thru a living hell for this relationship of ours.
    If I continue to love you, I will die. I am powerless over you, this I know. Some might say I am defeated, I have no will power but only thru my acceptance can I be free from your clenching grip.
    I will learn how to think and live and love without you. I know you will always be there waiting fo me to come back. I also know I will have days where I may cry out to feel your touch. But for this minute, this hour, this day, I cannot nor will not have you.
    For today I can admit I am powerless over you, and only God can save me from your grips......(or MWO or science for those of us doing the meds!!).
    You cause pain and hurt to all you touch, and yet you are loved! So many people like myself are still outside, slowly dying. I don't want to die like that. I want to feel so many things and I want to live so I must end our relationship. I have already found I can replace you so to you, dear alcohol, I say goodbye.

farewell to alcohol

Very Powerful! Thank you so much for sharing this letter. I'm going to print it so I can read it often when times are tough.

Thanks again,
    Tammie

Comment

farewell to alcohol

farewell to alcohol

Ditto on That. It really captures the feelings well.

Comment

farewell to alcohol

Gina;

Very powerful, and exact!

Brandy

Comment

farewell to alcohol

farwell

Thanks Gina, Your'e a wonderful writer. I really enjoyed your letter. I wrote one a few years ago, mine was a bit more on the "crude" side... (Who'da thunk?) Dear beer, Hello Bud you too Bucsh, Goodbye Alcohol, you power tripin bastard!...You're as much an A-hole as all my other exes! You've robbed my spirit and soul w/your all consuming selfishness....You've stolen my self worth & dignity, and made me lie to the people I love, & cause them grief & pain. Is it ever enough for you? I can no longer give myself to you. You have to leave, before ther's nothing left of me. Stay out of my life. We can't live together anymore, you're just too selfish. This is no longer fullfilling my needs,you don't satisfy me anymore, go away & stay there... Adios Mo Fo Kinda an abbreviated version, (lucky for you guys! Don't get me started!) Peace & Prayers , Judie

Comment

farewell to alcohol

farewell

Judie,
            Wish I could take the credit for that letter, but no, it was a sample letter given to me in rehab to get us thinking. Thanks anyways!! I love yours!!! Don't hold back Judie!!:rollin

Comment

farewell to alcohol

Re: farewell

I like Judie's letter better!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout sister! Tell that stuff off for me!!

That's classic!
              Janet

Comment

farewell to alcohol

don't be shy

OK, Cmon' Janet, You can top that...Lets hear it! Hugs Judie

Comment

Working...
                X