Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it Through my First Friday Night

Great job Kathy!

This is my 2nd Friday, last week was harder for me also. It was my first Friday and my hubby was at work. Tonight he was home and I sat and watched TV with him for almost 3 hours! That never happens. Usually he watches TV or plays video games and I play games on the computer and drink upstairs. Either way it's a little easier with him home and I am actually spending a little time with him, not hiding off by myself with a bottle.

Congrats again on getting your first Friday night under your belt!

Marcie

Kathy and Marcy,

A gracious Friday night for two gracious ladies.

Kate

Comment

Yippee!

Made it through my first Friday! Usually a TGIF, thank God I can drink and not worry about getting up tomorrow night.

Also stressful because my daughter passed her driver's test today and and has already gone out to have her own fun! But she just called to say she's on her way home. Big sigh of relief! Now I feel like I can relax and hit the sack soon. So this was the first part of my big test for my first weekend.

I was thinking of calling my drinking buddies all day today, but managed not to dial the phone. So I wouldn't say that I accomplished this with any particular grace, but it's nearly over. What a relief!

Thanks for all the support both direct and indirect that you've provided. Besides the booze, the thought of all of you has been with me all evening bolstering me up. It's really helped!

Love,
      Kathy

Comment

Congratulations to both of you. I am happy for you to imagine tomorrow morning getting up and having some energy to do something that you actually want to do. Maybe you can start a petition to have cable improve Friday night TV shows (LOL).

I did drink a bottle of wine tonight bit that was over several hours and one bottle less than the two I would normally have on a friday night. Another one of the mind games right.

I am going out for dinner tomorrow night and have offered to be the DD so that will put me in a good position for tomorrow.

I hope you and anyone else who is reading the board is doing something special for themselves this weekend either to celebrate another successful day or another successful effort.

Yvonne

Comment

Congrats to Kathy and Marcie!!! Huge accomplishment! Keep plugging along and enjoy your weekend. I won't be around much the next 3 days.....gotta work.....gina

Comment

re: made it through

Yvonne...baby steps are good and how great that you have made a plan to be the DD a day ahead of time!! Stick with your plan...you'll feel great about yourself in the am! Let us know how it goes and have fun! Gina

Comment

made it through

Oh, and Marcie, I could relate to what you said about being able to sit and watch tv with your husband. When I'm not drinking I can actually sit and watch a rental movie in it's entirety....impossible when I'm drinking. We actually went on a date last night out to dinner and I was able to enjoy the food for a change....gina

Comment

made it through

Hey Yvonne,

One bottle over several hours is much better than two, and for those of us who want to moderate the point is changing the destructive relationship that we have with alchohol. For me, the fact that my free time (I.e., not gainfully employed time) was pretty much devoted to drinking. That's what I wanted to change. Last weekend, when I was still drinking, I noticed that a bottle of wine lasted me about 6-7 hours, when before, it would be 3-4 hours, and I'd be "damn, how did I drink that all so fast???:rolleyes So, I think it's important to notice the little changes. And great job to be the DD tonight!

It's nice to wake up awake! I'm getting the best sleep I've had in months in the last week or so. It's amazing. I'm really liking that part! Gonna do some cooking today, which will be fun!

Thanks for all the pats on the back ladies!
                Hugs, Kathy

Comment

Re: made it through

Doesn't if feel nice to wake up feeling refreshed instead of tired and hungover? I have also slept the best I have in a long time in the past couple weeks. I'm on day 11 of sobriety today and it feels so empowering not having alcohol run my life the last week and a half.

Along with doing some work from home, I plan to start really cleaning and organizing rooms in my house. I have been neglecting this the past couple years. I'm also doing a little baking today Kathy! Another thing I never do, it always cut into my drinking time.

Have a great day everyone!!

Marcie

Comment

Hey Kathy - I made it through my first Friday night also. Three days sober and counting. Today is my son's 8th birthday and party and the Redskins are playing in a big playoff game. It's gonna be hard not to drink during the game, as we are die hard 'Skins fans. If you don't drink today, I won't.

I ordered the book today and am looking forward to reading it after everyone's comments about it. My "alcohol of choice" is white wine. I hope I can break this evil cycle I've been on for the last ten years.

Thanks for everyone's inspiration!

Jane.

Comment

Great job Kathy and Marcie and Jane! I had a beer last night which is better than previous Fridays with 2 or 3 beers, plus at least a half a bottle of wine plus who knows what else (a tequila or a vodka maybe whatever is there?) Anyway. I am starting week 3 and havent lost my taste for beer, or soda or really anything, but I am definately drinking alot less and sleeping better.

What I imagine happening is that it will become clearer and clearer in a very real-life way ...... that the benefits of not getting wasted (and the absence of the costs of getting wasted) will out-weigh the short term benefits of getting wasted, and as we experience this again and again in our lives, why would we choose to go back to all that suffering and wasted time?

Keep it up!

and Jane, youre on! I wont drink today if you dont.
                      It will make the memory of your son's 8th birthday so much better. (and how much better will it make the red skins game, really?)

Comment

Made it Through

Hey Jane and Vida and Marcie (and all)

Okay, you're on! Jane, I'm a 'Skins fan too, planning on watching the game tonight, and yes, it will be weird to be watching without a glass or five of red wine:lol , but who can resist a friendly and supportive challenge! This is great. I certainly can't even consider drinking when we have a pact to keep for today. Congrats on your son's birthday, Jane. I'm sure it will be strange, but really great, to enjoy it sober. Life doesn't feel all that different, really, except I'm not always walking around with a glass of red wine in my hand and also not having to clean up red wine spills on my off white carpet:b haha!

I'm dealing with feeling tired from the topa, up to 150 mg now, and actually fell asleep on the sofa last night at 8:30pm and woke up at 9:30.:x Weird. Wine used to give me a false "second wind" that would get me through the evening. But I guess it will pass. There's so much I would like to be getting done, but I have to remember that I wasn't getting much done when I was drinking, either (even though I was staying awake), so I'll just keep the faith that this will change over time. It was weird, though, every once in a while, when I drank, I would go into what I could only describe as a cleaning frenzy. I wish I would get one of those now! But anyway, I'm always checking in on this site to see what's up, and that is pretty important to me right now! I feel like I know all of you, and I've even imagined faces for all of you to go with your posts. Isn't that silly?

Anyway, gotta run, but thanks for being there. This is all so important to me!

Hugs,
                        Kathy

Comment

You guys are an inspiration

Dear Ladies,

I just wanted to tell you how great you all are and you are just an inspiration to me. I have not yet started the program but am in the preparation stages. I've just finished RJ's book, I've ordered the cds, the kudzu, the All One and have made the doctor's appt. I'll shop for supplements tomorrow. Part of me is so psyched and ready to start, but then part of me is afraid that maybe this is just another "program."

I have never gone to AA. I've given it serious thought, but I don't want to admit to being an alcholic in front of complete strangers. Besides, I'm beginning to think that I'm not an alcholic. Maybe a problem drinker or abuser. I'm not going to give it a label--I just want alcohol not to matter--take it or leave it--the way I used to be when I was younger.

I'm looking forward to being where you all are-- physically, psychologically, emotionally, mentally--really soon.

Congratulations to all of you.

Cindy

Comment

Re: You guys are an inspiration

Kathy, Marcie and Vida - OK, the Skins did it! And I did it too! No wine during the game!! I did have an O'Douls. Does that count?? :b

Anyway, I am liking this comraderie. Let's keep up the good work.

Colin (my son who turned 8) had a great party at Laser Quest with a mom that was not hungover from the night before. I also have two daughters, Emily (15 1/2, driving next week!) and Kara (13 1/2 with a BOYFRIEND - yikes). My girls are one of the reasons I want to get this drinking under control. I want my girls to be proud of me!

Have a great (sober) rest of the evening!!

Jane.

Comment

Re: You guys are an inspiration

Cindy - I totally agree with you about wanting alcohol not to matter anymore. My daughter Emily just came into the office and asked what I was doing. I told her I was giving up wine, or at least cutting down drastically on how much I drink and I was chatting with my "support group". She gave me such a big smile and such a big hug - better than any high I've gotten with wine!

I haven't even read the book yet. You are way ahead of me. Let me know how it goes.

Jane.

Comment

Working...
                              X