Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone starting the Program next week?

Hello to All,
    I've been reading the posts on this site for a couple of days now and first would like to say thank you for posting the messages and for the sincerity.
    I've been drinking at least a bottle of wine every night, closer to two really - especially on the week-ends -- for years and years. I told myself it was okay because I get up and go to work every day, maintain an apartment, pay the bills and take care of my cats.
    However, it seems as if, all of a sudden, it's not okay. This summer, on separate occasions, because I was thoroughly, can-bearly-remember-what-happened drunk, I alienated two sets of friends and got in a car accident. I'm making it up with one set of friends, vowed never to drink and drive again, which leaves me drinking alone at night. Fine, I said to myself, I'll quit drinking for 2 or 3 weeks and then cut back. None of you, I'm sure, will be surprised to learn that this hasn't happened.
    So I went looking for some kind of help other than AA. I found a couple of web sites which recommend the use of nutritional supplements (alone) as a way to go, but the first (healthyhigh.com) turned out to be bogus, I thought, plus you have to subscribe for $40 a month, which doesn't include the supplements. The other was the site for the program "Seven Weeks To Sobriety". This program requires LOTS of supplements, which I actually bought, and complete abstainence from not only alcohol but coffee and all sugar and white flour products. I lasted a day. If I had that much self-control, I wouldn't have a problem in the first place.
    Anyway, then an Internet buddy told me about "My Way Out." This week I bought the book, read it, ordered the self hypnosis CDs (they haven't arrived yet) and made an appointment with my Dr. for Monday, October 24. Although I am a bit nervous about the side effects of the Topa, I intend to give the program a try. Is there anyone "lurking" out there who might possibly be starting out next week also?
    It's not that important if there isn't anyone, as it seems many of you have just recently started. Still, I thought I'd give it a shot. If anybody has any advice for me, I'd be happy to hear it. LC

Hi LC,

Welcome, and best of luck with your doctor on Monday. My one really solid piece of advice with regard to your appointment is to bring a copy of the Lancet article with you. (You can find it in the research tab on the website.) No matter how conservative your doctor, they have got to respect the Lancet, and a lot of doctors are pretty conservative when it comes to prescribing off label.

I have been sober for two months now, although I've got to admit that I just had to check the calendar to figure that out. Believe it or not, you can feel that good that fast. It's not easy at first, and a lot of work both mentally and physically, but so friggin' worth it, you'll want to kick yourself for not having done it years ago.

Just know we are all here to help you through it. I'm not sure how many of the little pieces of sage advice you've been able to read through on the site, but there are many. For example, if you get a bad craving, just pop open a kudzu or l-glutamine capsule and empty the little sucker under your tongue. They work wonders to bring instant relief. No questions are too silly, no issue too mundane to bring up. Just ask.

Amy

Comment

Hi LC
      I could have written your story word for word. I have to tell you that it is not easy, but if you are determined, this program can help. When I have an urge for that glass of wine, I come to this discussion board and have found on a number of occasions that reading the post has helped the urge pass. I try to have a glass of water or a cup of decaf tea at my side all evening (my most trying time).
      Most of all, I love going to bed at night listening to the tapes and wake up in the morning clear headed--remembering what I watched on TV or who called the night before. No more checking caller ID to make sure I remember conversations from the night before.
      Good luck on Monday. Let us know how you make out.
      Dee

Comment

just starting

hi amy
        just read your posting how i envey you for your strength and willpower how wonderful to be off the booze for 2 months, i sit here with the worst hang over hoping for a mirical. I have read the book ordered the supps, some have arrived ordered the tapes, on there way and have registered with MWO so hopefully I can speak to others, who can support me.
        I am so afraid of taking the topa if my GP prescribes it as I have poor eyesight and fear it may get worse have you had any bad experiences I am just afraid but thanks for listening and good luck to all out there
        terssy

Comment

Re: just starting

Terssy,

There is no need to envy any of us who have quit drinking, for you can do it too. All of us can tell you it's no walk in the park, but if you're mentally prepared to 'be done with alcohol' it's really quite bearable. The first couple of weeks are by far generally the hardest for most people.

I'm not a doctor so don't want to advise you about the Topa, but would say that if your eyesight problems are myopia or the such the drug really shouldn't be an issue. If however, it is glaucoma, then you shouldn't go anywhere near Topa and should probably consider Campral instead. Talk to your doctor about it.

Amy

Comment

Hi LC,
            Like you I have been "lurking" and decided to post for the first time this morning. I will be starting the program as soon as the supplements I ordered today arrive - I assume it will be a few weeks before I receive the Topamax. I can relate completely to what you said about alienating friends - I ruined friendships of 30+ years and that is such a hugh loss in my life, one of the consequences of my drinking. I'm also very lucky that I didn't lose my driver's license. I look forward to the day when I have a year's sobriety so I can join Mothers Against Drunk Drivers. I am hopeful about the MWO approach and grateful for all the people on the board. How did you make out at the doctor?

Comment

I thought I was alone...

I can't believe you talked about checking the caller ID! I don't know how many times I've done that the next day... feeling so cloudy and not remembering after drinking too much.. EVERY night. So cool to think I'm not alone in my quest to find a way to help myself... Thanks for your words. I have not joined this program or read the book but happened to stumble upon the website in trying to find out if alcohol is killing me. I recently noticed some signs I think my body is telling me... "ENOUGH"... just hope it's not too late.

Comment

I thought I was alone

Hi to all the newcomers from someone who hasnt been here long. Can you believe that tomorrow I've done another week sober.. and here I am tonight, mind clear as a bell, not worrying how I'll hide the bottle in the bin so my husband doesent find it. It is possible, I now firmly believe it and for me, this forum is a significant part of that process, particularly because of the thought and empathy that goes into people's postings.

We are not alone here.

ATT

Comment

Re: I thought I was alone

Hello and Ditto on the Caller ID, Redail, Instant Message History, etc!!

This is day 4 for me !! WOW - I don't even have all the supplements or the meds, it's the CD's and all of you. I am so very very pleased.

Thank You,

This is an early Christmas gift for certain.

I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks!
                  Janet

Comment

Anyone Starting this week?

I'm very much thinking of starting soon, having found this site just yesterday, after waking up feeling ashamed (again, of course) about how out of control my drinking has gotten. At least a 750ml bottle of wine each night and more on weekends. I'm gratefull to have found this site. Good luck to you, and I hope to read more of your posts, and I want to be starting the program myself, soon. I'm sick of drinking being the primary thing in my life, despite the many other things I have to be grateful for. I just turned 50 yesterday, and this would probably be the most meaningful birthday present I could ever give myself and my family, but also a little scary, as I've relied on wine for so long. These posts are very encouraging, though, and it is good to see people who are having fun again without alcohol, or at least too much of it! Espec. feeling good about themselves again. Good luck with your journey!

Comment

Re: Anyone Starting this week?

YaH, good luck with your journey also, and I hope to share it with you!!

Janet

Comment

Anyone starting this week?

I just ordered the book and companion products, and I'm very excited. I've been feeling so disgusted with my drinking. I already have topamax, but I'm a little worried because it makes me so dopey, even at 25-50mg. But I was still drinking a lot too when I took it, so maybe it won't be so bad when I'm not drinking. I'm thinking that I may try the Campral if I get to dopey on Topa. At any rate, I'm looking forward to really reading the book and finding out all about the program and listening to the CD's. It's really amazing how similar many of the people here are to me, reasonably successful, good family life, but still getting soused every night. That's me all over. Anyway, I'm a little scared and pretty excited. I want a different life! I can't go on feeling about myself the way that I was.

Thanks for all of your posts. They've been very inspiring!

Comment

Hey Janet... I am brand new here... just wrote a letter to my husband asking for his support... am nervous as h*#* you sound like someone who has had some luck with this. The book was great! I laughed so hard at the journal entries... I have SOO been there! Ready for a change, as I have a 13 month old son, who needs a sober mommy. Any words of encouragement? I go to the Dr on Fri and hope she will prescribe the Topo... am going to look for the herbs at local places, and am trying to scrape up the $ for the CDs... Are they worth it? Hope for a response! Congrats on your progress! L

Comment

Hi Laura,

I?m really new here also, and I am so glad to have found this place. I am choosing long term abstinence as a goal and was just given a trial pack of Campral by my doctor. I guess that is one of the choices that needs to be made with this program, whether abstinence or moderation is the goal. I feel like I can make a better decision regarding moderation after an extended abstinence. I?m so glad that there is a medication that will support my decision.

People have mixed results with the CD?s, I really think they are helping me. If you read back through some of my post, I listed some examples.

Good luck with your doctor and let us know how it turns out for you.

Janet

Comment

Thanks for your response! I went ahead and ordered the CDs... I have to do EVERYTHING in my power to make this work, so I didn't let myself, talk myself, out of spending $100 on something that sounds like an important facet of the program! I wish they could get here today! My husband is not being very supportive at this point, but I think I really scared him... that's okay... I really scare me sometimes these days. He thinks you shouldn't have to take one thing to stop taking something else. He is one of these people that uses nicotine, but can stop tomorrow if he chooses ( I have seen him do it), and not even think about it for months... Ah... I cannot imagine such a luxury! Thanks again for your response...
                              Very sincerely,
                              Laura

Comment

Working...
                              X