not so fed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not so fed up

i have not tried this program or any for that matter.
    yeah my drinking is a problem and started in colledge and never stopped.
    i'm 33, been hard core for nine.....i'm tired of it all and have been for a while like many of you.
    how do i get out of this....my problem is i enjoy it still and yet fed up of it. i want o try program this but my faith in myself is thin coz many consider me stron willed but in this case i am far from it....only now i have passed the threshed hold, i dont like it and i cant control it .....like i ever could!
    any advice.

not so fed up

Hi Liz,
    I'm in exactly the same place(same age as you 33). Drank a couple times before, but didn't really start until college. I've been drinking alot the past couple years and about to give up on myself. I haven't really started this program yet, just reading alot. Got my last couple supplements in the mail today so maybe tomorrow is the day.... I just was diagnosed with liver problems(at my age!) last week and I'm afraid to take herbs or anything for right now. Anyway, welcome, this is a very nice board and lots of people to make you feel welcome and that you are not alone. We can all beat this together.

Marcie

Comment

not so fed up

Re: not so fed up

Liz and Marcie,
      Please, Both of you, don't give up, you are just at the very beginning. Liz, there is a lot of information on this website at to how you can get started in this program. It takes a little bit of time to gather the supplements, tapes, and get the medicine, and it takes some time for the medicine to take effect, but it does work. There are many stories that will give you hope. If you read, you will see that it is not a matter of will power. Marcie, I'm not sure how much liver damage you have. If it is not too bad, perhaps your doctor might okay the use of Milk Thistle to help heal your liver. It is not impossible for some liver damage to be reversed - it depends how bad it is. Do not lose hope. It is possible that you could use an alternate medication such as Campral. As you said, working together, we all can beat this disease! Just don't give up.
      Adria

Comment

not so fed up

thankyou

thanks for your reply
        i feel releived that i am finally talking about it...
        its nice that you can find solace and support from perfect strangers,i admit that i cant do this alone
        so i'm glad you replied, i will read through the program thoroughly and i'd be more than happy to support you in anyway in good and difficult times....
        maybe if its ok with you we can check in on each other and see how we are making out, and if not that ok too....
        i like this board, your right people are nice here.
        i hope your medical issue can be worked on.
        i'll tell you, this has to be the scariest and hardest thing that i have attempted so far
        thanks marcie.
        Liz

Comment

not so fed up

thanks

thanks adiria
          i plan to comb through this site. I feel more up;ifted at this moment than i have in years.
          thanks for the encouragment.
          liz

Comment

not so fed up

Not so fed up

Hi Liz and Memarcie, and all!

Don't give up! Keep combing the posts. I know it's scary; I'm really scared, too, just getting ready to start the program....have gotten almost all the supplements and books and CD's in place, including the topa (funnily, the easiest thing to get for me!) The thought of getting through from 5:30 to 10:30 pm without my red wine is like thinking about getting through without one of my arms! Even moderation is a big commitment to make, but I know for myself that I can only see myself sliding further and further into the hole and making it harder and harder to climb out.

I read RJ's book in one day (yesterday!), and I will start dosing myself CORRECTLY with the topa this afternoon, as well as the kudzu. Also 1st CD tonight! Everyone who I have talked to who has had at least 6 months of sobriety has been really grateful that they have taken the plunge and gotten sober, and RJ's testimony about how great she feels moderating her drinking makes it seem a worthwhile goal as well. I'm still debating whether to go for moderation or abstinence....we'll see.

Memarcie, take care, you sound so sweet and vulnerable, I have faith that there is a way around your liver problems....And Liz, keep reading and trying. I just read Caroline Knapp's book, Drinking, A Love Story (or Affair, I don't remember), and it was gripping. The more we know, the better off we'll be in fighting this addiction!

Take care, all!

Kathy

Comment

not so fed up

me thinks....

kathy
              thanks for the support, i just ordered the book
              will look into the suppliments......at this point i dont want to do any meds, i never have liked it asprin is hard enough i can do herbs they dont bother me.
              i can't drink moderatley, so i have to stop, only god knows what damage i've done, but if or when it rears its ugly head my head has to be right to deal........
              i'm too young and to tired of it and i want out only its easier said than done.
              so i will try to perservere, read the book and go from there
              thanks kathy and who ever said never talk to strangers
              take care

Comment

not so fed up

me thinks

Liz,
                Hi, there are many of us on this site who can relate to your feelings right now. Many of us have taken different paths to sobriety and most of us are pretty new at this (I am, I know). Its easy to say that 'my way' is the only way, but what I like about this progam is the literal translation which is 'my way' so whatever you do will be your way because you will find it.. and you will get support here to help you and ideas to inspire you.

I'm doing abstinence without meds and tomorrow will be at 7 weeks. Its taken counselling as well as meditation and supplements and determination.. a path of self discovery that can be very hard and also uplifting.

I wish you well in whatever path you chose.
                Brigid

Comment

not so fed up

thanks

7 weeks wow, thats really great and inspring
                  i've thought of taking the couseling part as well infact i have my list of therapists, just yet to make the call
                  i finally figured that i have to overcome the embarrasment and talk to someone....so got a list of therapists.....
                  speaking of supplements, are they listed on this site,
                  from some of the post i haven the kudzu and milk thistle which i actually have, i've used milk thistle for a few years now....but if they are listed here where do i find them?

Comment

not so fed up

Hi Lizeva!

I got my kudzu at www.viable-herbal.com. at what I considered a fairly reasonable price.

Liz, please read "Drinking, A Love Story" if you want to, it's a good read, and really urges sobriety, which seems to be what you want. The young woman in the story, who is so intelligent and pretty successful, like so many here (an in AA, as well) tells a story that sounded a chord deep within me, and within so many women who drink, I think.

If you don't want to take drugs, that is really okay. Whatever gets you to the place that you want to be is the right way for you. This website is about all of us finding out own way out. I'm just glad that you got to this website and are asking for help.....

I'm trying the moderation route right now, and will give it my best shot, but I have a deep down feeling that I may have to go for abstinence. Although I haven't been drinking as hard as some people I have read about, I certainly have been drinking as long, if not longer than some, and I am in the middle stages of alcoholism. No big symptoms yet, physically, but I can see the toll it is taking on my motivation to do anything or be productive outside of my work, and that is really troubling to me.

So I wish you all the best, and I hope you keep posting, and I will start some new posts, too, as I begin to take the topamax as recommended in RJ's book and keep everyone posted as to how it is working for me! Take care, and know that everyone here supports you!

Kathy

Comment

not so fed up

Duh!

Duh!

I see you have kudzu, and I gave you the source for it. Sorry, clearly a mistake! I had a hard time finding it and projected that on you!!!! Silly me! A good source of supplements is the Vitamin Shoppe, or www.vitaminshoppe.com. They have a lot of the stuff recommended. Also the supplement thread on this website gives alot of sources for getting needed herbs/supplements. Good luck getting stuff together.

I'm going to start the hypo-CD's tonight, so wish me luck!

Kathy!

Comment

not so fed up

Re: Duh!

lol, thats ok kathy....i will keep posting, i find it nice that i can talk in just a day and not to make a whole lot out of a day, i feel really uplifted.
                        To see many in various stages of this disease.....and even though it haunts many of us we still have choices to make it right and keep trying if we slip.
                        i enjoy th fact that these posts are non judgmental unlike so much i hear on the outside that makes you more ashamed to come out.
                        so kathy thanks and good luck on the CD"s.
                        I'll read the other book after i get thru MWO first. For tonight i'm sober, one day less of drinking thanks to all and myself.
                        yiihaaww!!

Comment

not so fed up

Lizeva,
                          I don't agree that we have a disease. I think of it more as a weakness. If it was a disease, we should not be here, but in rehab, counseling or AA.

Everyone can approach this as they wish, but I don't feel I have a disease. I make the wrong decisions many times and I need to learn how not too.

Just my own thoughts on the subject......

Marcie

Comment

not so fed up

i hear you marcie, i guess using that term is something drummed into society, its all you hear, did not mean to offend if thats how it came out,but it doesn't matter, like you say making the right chices is what counts

Comment

not so fed up

Disease, illness, weakness......however you want to word it so be it. The one thing we all have in common is that we drink too much. We are alcoholics, problem drinkers, people who abuse alcohol. Why are some people "hung up" on these words? If you had diabetis, hepatitis, cancer...would you be afraid to say "I have a disease?"
                              One someone has drank heavily for the past few years, had or still has blackouts, gets the shakes if she doesn't have a drink, can't stop or even go the "moderation" way, she can only "cut back"....there seems to be a problem.
                              Just my observation.

Comment

Working...
                              X