Can anyone recommend in Dr in charlotte, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there. I am new and want to start this program. I have made an appt with my family Dr but not sure I feel comfortable asking for the Rx. What I really want is to go to a new Dr that does not know me --someone that will not make me feel ashamed to confess that I need some help. Anyone from Charlotte that can recommend a Dr?

Many thanks.
    S.

Hi S and welcome,

I am not from NC so can't help with a specific doctor recommendation, but you might try your phone book and look for hospital and clinic substance abuse programs in your area. All the ones around here that I know of have a psychiatrist at least on call, and you can ask for referrals for a therapist who specializes in substance abuse. Even if it is a social worker or psychologist, most of them work with people (usually psychiatrists) who can prescribe medication. Your chances of finding someone familiar with Topamax/Campral increase the more closely they work in the field of addiction, in my opinion. Many general practitioners, internists, etc. are unaware of the current state of the science of addiction treatment, and offer AA and/or anti-depressants only. If you do see a regular doctor you should bring in the research to back up your request. At the top of the MWO board MJ has provided extensive information if you just click on the tab that says "research".

My last bit of advice, S. DON'T be discouraged if getting what you need is a hassle - if you look back over many of the posts you will see that a lot of people here have encountered doctors who were woefully ignorant about the new medications and condescending to boot. There are those who are so full of themselves they refuse to accept there are things they just don't know, so they disparage those who do. BUT, there are many people out there - health care providers in general but addiction professionals in particular - who are extremely frustrated with the poor track record of the "typical" treatment approaches, and would love to be able to offer an alternative to their clients. They are more likely to be familiar with the current research and, even if not, less likely to feel threatened by something new. They see nothing positive in the complacency of the old, ineffective system.

So before I go any further on my soapbox, let me just say that you deserve to get what you need to solve your problem. Don't give up, and don't take things personally. Come to the MWO board for support, and to share. We're all in this together.

Best,

Kate

Comment

thanks for the information

Hi Kate-

Thanks for answering my posting. I was able to obtain the topimax from my GP yesterday (yeah!!).
      thanks again for your advice and encouragement.
      S.

Comment

Working...
      X