Topamax dosage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax dosage?

Has anyone sucessfully done the MWO program with a low dosage of Topamax (25-50mg per day)? I find the high dosages recommended in the middle of the protocol to be very concerning.
    Thanks for any wisdom you can offer. I'm still gathering the ingredients I need to begin, and hope to have everything assembled by 12/3.
    Sam

Topamax dosage?

Hi Sam,

Why concerning?

Most that have stayed at 25mg seemed to have a relapse. Far be it for me to tell you what dose to take as each person is individual, but let me share this with you.

(1) The research that was done on the drug for the studies for alcohol abstinence/moderation was done at 300mg

(2) For on label use, the lowest dose prescribed is 100 mg (migraines) and it isn't unusual for an epilepsy dose to reach 600 mg a day.

(3) The drug has to be started slowly because of the side effects, not because it can reach full effect on that particular milligram dosage. If the lowest on label dose is 100 mg, and it can reach a multitude of prescribing dosages in the 100's, you can see it most likely reaches full potential for complex brain processes in the 100's.

(4) It is a safe drug. My doctor isn't fully convinced that it works how I think it works(for alcoholism), but he prescribes it for me because he thinks it is a safe drug. I know it works, and he thinks it's safe. It's a win win.

I guess in the end it's your call. You do the research and make your decision. In the beginning you have to endure the side effects which end in time...but I think since you have written before and you are concerned about not being able to stop..you will find that the higher doses will help your cravings.

(Or if you want to quit totally you might try campral which has much less side effects...but the inability to keep you from drinking if you start, which if you are at 300 mg of topamax you should be able to get yourself to stop after a drink or two)

Comment

Topamax dosage?

Hi Sam

I stayed sober at 25mg daily on Topa for 8 weeks. I thought it was going to work for me forever at that dosage, however one day the cravings came back with a whammy and I relapsed. I then dosed up to 50mg a day and had another relapse a few weeks ago. I am now almost 18 weeks into the program and am up to 100mg a day. Things seem to be going well at that level of Topa for me, however I am being very vigilent about the whole MYO program. If I notice cravings creeping back, I will dose up further but, because Topa is so damm expensive here in Australia, I would really like not to have to go to the full 300mg. However, if that's what it takes I will. Or I may try Campral, but I am hoping it will not come to that.

Hope that helps.

Mish

Mish

Comment

Topamax dosage?

Thanks very much to you both for helping me think about this.
        Sam

Comment

Topamax dosage?

Discussion

Actually, I hadn't meant to cut off discussion on this topic. I'm in my first week at the 25 mg. level and would love to hear more about people's experience with dosage.
          Thanks.
          Sam

Comment

Topamax dosage?

sam i am week five about to start week six of the program. I got an instant hit at 25mg of topamax and refused to believe i would need any more. I crashed after 4 weeks. I am just finishing 50mg now and about to start 75mg tomorrow. If you want you can read that post on the general discussion board. It has the title you were right misha and jenram because they advised me it might happen. I plan to go to 150 mg no question and probably even 300mg but thats a bit of a jump too far ahead for me now.Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X