Nervousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervousness

I really appreciate this site. I've been on topa for 6 days. After one day on topa, I went from having my normal cocktail and several glasses of wine a night to one glass of wine, AND didn't want another. The desire is diminishing as the days go by. It's quite astonishing actually to not want to "continue" to drink. The only side effect I experience is a bit of nervousness. It escalates at night and I'm not sleeping well. I don't know if it's the topa or if it's the sudden drop in alcohol consumption. I'm taking all the supplements and doing the exercise.

Anyone else experiencing the anxiety or insomnia? If so, what are you doing for it?

Nervousness

I'm on 275mg and have never been nervous. Have you tried Calmes Fortey?

Comment

Nervousness

Patty

It would seem to be withdrawal symptoms. You may have insomnia for a while. Topamax can increase insomnia. Nervousness is a typical sign of alcohol withdrawal.

At the same time, I urge you to have a blood test done to test your liver enzymes, if you did not do this prior to taking Topamax.

Kath

Comment

Nervousness

Nervousness

Thanks for the response Kath. I've never had a blood test done for my liver. Is there a specific name for the test?

I hope I don't give the impression I've drank heavy all my life. It's just in the past year that I went from a couple of glasses of wine a night to what I thought was not an "ok" several + a cocktail. That's why I started the Topa. I could see where I was headed.

Thanks, Patty

Comment

Nervousness

Patty,

The tests Kath is referring to are part of most regular blood tests. I would guess you've had your liver checked without even knowing it, if you've had a physical and they took blood. The tests measure specific enzymes in the liver; if the numbers are elevated, then there may be some damage to the liver. Most of that is reversible, from what my doctor says; if you have been a heavy drinker for many years, it can be permanent. It's one of those things you want to catch early. Me, I waited about 5 years beyond when I should have and endured days of heavy anxiety waiting for my results. Thankfully I am fine, probably due to 2 months of near-abstinence, which is due to having taken Campral and having worked the program, as they say!!

In any event, it's always good to check with your doctor before starting any new medication or exercise program, as I'm sure you have heard a million times. RJ and Dr. Garcia have advocated it and it's really just common sense.

Ann

Comment

Nervousness

Patty, I'm sure, by what you have said, you will be fine. If you are worried, just ask your doctor for a test on your liver. It's a simple blood test. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. But, as I always say, please don't take any medication which may affect your liver without prior tests. And then get tests done reguarly.

Now, you want a Vodka Mocktail - don't know if I have one of those... Hmm, I might try and invent one. Just not sure if any ingredients will suit. You've given me a challenge. I only ever drank Vodka with Coke.

Take it easy
            Kath

PS Please don't apologise to me. I have drunk heavily for the past 20 years and that's why I'm here. Congratulations to you for seeing where your were headed. I wish I had had your foresight way back then. I applaud you! xxxxx

Comment

Working...
            X