having a tuff time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having a tuff time

Just took my first dose today of Topomax. Having troubles controlling the urge to drink. Did it take a couple of days to kick in?

having a tuff time

I found the first week there was not much change, the second week it started to kick in.
    The hypno tapes got me through the first week, and a lot of support from this board.
    Are you taking all the supplements, they helped a lot too.

Good luck

Comment

having a tuff time

having a tuff time still

thanks for responding. my hypno tapes should come in next week. Ive got most of the supplements: waiting delivery on two. taken my third dose of topa. how long have you been sober?

Comment

having a tuff time

Re: having a tuff time still

5 weeks - some times are better than others, of course, but a few months ago I could not even IMAGINE going 5 days without a drink. So the program definitely works.
        I had gotten to the point where I was sneaking drinks, so I was pretty low. I had gained 25 pounds in the last year, which was particularly bad. I had lost my job and my grip on reality. Not the kind of behaviour you want around a 5 year old.

Comment

having a tuff time

thanks sobermom

did you get sober all at once or did u go in fits and starts? I called the cd company to check on the status of my cds because i want to make sure i have everything

Comment

having a tuff time

Re: thanks sobermom

Cold Turkey - had a big binge the night before I started the topamax. 2 drinks (planned) since then on my 20th anniversary. every day still a challenge.

Comment

having a tuff time

Just wanted to get in on your conversation - I was encouraged in my own situation that the topa didn't kick in for you with the first dose. Hopefully into my second week - I will feel more of an effect from it. I almost feel like I was doing better without it. When I got it, I felt like I wanted to rely on the topa and not at all on my own resolve. Now I see that it isn't that way. It really can't be that way for me because I only want to use it for the 12 weeks at most until I rewire my brain and develop alternative habits and activities. 5 weeks is great! I know you have good days and bad days, but in the long haul, are you having more good days over time? Good luck - and wishing you continued sucess

Comment

having a tuff time

I didn't start seeing results until the 3rd or 4th week and according to RJ and the Lancet study the real results are seen at 200 mg per day. I was really discourgaged until I started keep track with a calaendar. mycalendar.com is a good site. I noticed that I went from being drunk(8-10 beers ) 4-5 nights per week to only drinking 1-2 nights per week. I am only up to 250 mg now.

I intend to incorporate the cds and exericize soon.

Hope this offers some hope.

-Nina

Comment

Working...
                X