Day 16..should I try a drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there. Doing well this week...other than topamax is making me very tired. I really don't have any intense cravings, but just have this interest every once in a while to give a drink a try. Kind of like RJ did in the book. Do you think I should? Or could that be a recipe for disaster? It's not that I'm dying for that glass of wine, but then, I thought that would be the best time to try it since I would be less likely to overindulge...I just don't know..? It just sounds good to think I could enjoy a glass with dinner every now and then.

Your thoughts?

Jen

I tried the same experiment this weekend but after only 5 days. It was a big failure. I kept wanting more and probably had my normal amount, but since I was a few days out of practice I had the worst headache in the morning. My only suggestion would be to set a limit and try to stick to it.

Comment

Jen
      I have been testing myself also and not always succesful with knowing when to stop yet. I don't let it get me down. Start over the next day and try harder. I guess you won't know until you try but if you have a problem with your control atleast you'll know how to adjust.
      Don

Comment

Desperate

I just found this program today and I'm hoping it will change my life. I'm so fed up with drinking and myself I can't even tell you. I've tried AA and rehab and I still cannot get rid of the craving. It's crazy, I don't want to drink, I feel like crap..... but I still find myself driving to the store for more wine. This weekend, actaully the last few have been really awful. I'm so happy to have found a place where I relate to what eveyone is saying. I'm so glad to not be alone..

Comment

Re: Desperate

Mon33. You are not alone. I feel the same way about this site. I feel like I have found a group of good friends. Wine is my down fall as well though I'll drink just about anything. Hang in there
          Lin

Comment

Hi Lin,

Thanks so much! It's so nice to know that there are other people who understand. I can't believe what a hold this thing has on me. It's the worst feeling..... I feel like I'm spinning out of control....

Mon

Comment

Re: Day 16...should I try a drink?

Jen,

I think whether you try a drink is something you need to figure out for yourself. I'm not sure any of us can really advise you on this. Only you can know.

I don't remember exactly how many days I had been sober before I had a drink but for me I knew I wasn't going to have a drink without there being some kind of occasion for me to have it. And that occasion was having dinner with my friend the sommelier.

My goal is moderation, but my form of moderation will never include having wine or liquor (of a variety I like to drink) in my house on a daily basis. I simply don't want to ever have that kind of temptation staring me in the face. I'll serve it and have it when friends are over, I'll have it when I go out, but I won't partake in it otherwise. I think (for me) that's the only way moderation is going to work.

If you want to be able to have a glass of wine on a nightly basis, then maybe now is the time to try it. But ask yourself if you think you've got your meds at the right level yet, your hypno working just so, etc. before you make that choice. My $.02.

Mon...as Lin said, you've come to the right place. Welcome.

Amy

Comment

Just ordered book and found this site

I am waiting for book to come from amazon.Need it
                desperately!I have been drinking for years. This has been
                my worst year. Drink every day until blackout.Gained so much weight I dont recognize myself. I am ashamed and
                disgusted. Every am I say I will not do it again. 4PM hits
                and craving starts. I am stay at home mom with 19 month old baby. I cant go on like this but cant stop.
                Wine and vodka are my downfalls. So glad to find people
                who understand.
                P.S. it is 4:40 and craving has started.

Comment

Re: Just ordered book and found this site

Welcome JC and Mon,

Wow..welcome..and we all can relate. Hang in there and definitely try this program. Do it for you and your baby...

Jen

Comment

Amy,

I know I have to make the decision, but like a true alcoholic, I don't want to take responsibility. If it fails, I want to be able to blame YOU... Just kidding

Comment

Very funny Jen...well at least alcohol hasn't pickled your sense of humor.

JC...welcome. Do you know your story could have been written by any one of us? And we're kindred spirits! Vodka and wine are my two favorites too. At least, they were. Now, I'll take water, thank you very much. While you're waiting on the book, you may want to start gathering the supplements the program recommends you take. It'll give you a head start so you can get going right away once you get the book. See this thread for a complete list. Read the entire thread as I was spastic in my first couple of posts and missed a few things. As well, also pick up some l-glutamine. It's been added to the program since that thread.

Amy

Comment

jc Love your name hang in there we are all here to support you. I'm waiting for the book as well. I too have gained so much weight I can't stand myself. But if one drinks a bottle of wine each night I guess that will happen. Then I always try to eat soemthing as I don't want to be sick the next am.
                        What a mess. Well from one fatty to another have a great day I'm off to work I'll check later.
                        Lin

Comment

Hi Mon
                          I know how you feel you are not alone we are all here together sick of it the demon but you have found us now we can make it together
                          regards
                          terssy

Comment

jenram;44768 wrote: Hi there. Doing well this week...other than topamax is making me very tired. I really don't have any intense cravings, but just have this interest every once in a while to give a drink a try. Kind of like RJ did in the book. Do you think I should? Or could that be a recipe for disaster? It's not that I'm dying for that glass of wine, but then, I thought that would be the best time to try it since I would be less likely to overindulge...I just don't know..? It just sounds good to think I could enjoy a glass with dinner every now and then.

Your thoughts?

Jen
                            Jen,
                            I've had those thoughts and tried it countless times. Always ended up back where I started. Like most Alkie's I lack a cutoff switch, probably also did I just didnt have the same tolerance for alchohol when I was young. My guess, since you've taken the time to get involved in this site, is that you have a similar problem. Moderation rarely works and in my opinion just isnt worth the effort.
                            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

This thread is from 2005 xx
                              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Working...
                              X