Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting Campral

Hi all,

I finally saw my dr. yesterday and we decided on Campral for me. Got the prescription filled this morning, and tonight will take my second dose. I've also been doing the supps for some time now, as well as the hypno.

I've read other posts in which people said their cravings disappeared within one week of starting Campral. I'd be curious to hear about people's experience with it. Also if you have had any side effects.

I had some cravings today at the usual time -- late afternoon right around the time I left work. But I focused on my goal, and came straight home and spent an hour with James on the cd. Felt much better after that.

I don't expect a pill to be a "magic bullet" but if it will help ease the cravings I will be very happy.

Anyway I look forward to hearing what anyone else can share from their experience. thanks.

Mike

Just starting Campral

Just starting Campral

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on starting Campral! I've been on it for nearly 6 weeks now. I've had NO side effects at all. My husband actually calls it the "magic bullet"! My cravings disappeared after one week. I never thought I'd see the day.......!!!! Let us know how you feel after one week.
    Blessings,
    Stac:b

Comment

Just starting Campral

Mike,
      I can't relay my "experience" because I've just started the Campral... Monday night, in fact, when I had my bad cravings. My doctor had prescribed it for me last weekend.

I haven't had any side effects, which is miraculous considering how strange my body is and how alot of drugs affect me (topa, L-Glutamine)... the only thing I have noticed is being a bit more "gas-y" than usual. I haven't been drinking, either, but I can't tell if it's from the Campral or from the rest (most probably a combination of the two). My doctor told me that Campral works better and better the longer you go, and not to expect it to be a miracle drug that stops cravings immediately. But if you go by what Stac has said in her posts, it is definitely a step forward and can only help!

Keep us informed and I will too... Mollysdream/Ann will be starting shortly as well, so we'll all be able to compare notes!

Comment

Just starting Campral

Yep, I will be starting Campral tomorrow, and am quite excited. I am hoping by next weekend it will kick in and make Friday and Saturday nights easier! I will keep you informed of how it's going and will look forward to hearing from others that are taking this. It feels like a mystery to me since doctors can't explain the mechanism through which it works...am going on blind faith here!

Ann

Comment

Just starting Campral

Thanks, everyone for joining in the conversation. It is great to be able to compare notes, and to know you're not alone in this.

I've been on the Campral for a little over a day now, and so far, so good. No side effects that I can tell. I read that the most common side effect were GI related and that they disappear quickly. Still having cravings, of course. Really pretty strong cravings between about 4 and 5 PM; in fact I wondered if I might give in, but I figured I need to "tough it out" for a few days & give the medication a chance to kick in. But hey, I made it through the worst part of the day and here it is, 7:30 on a Friday night and I've had dinner and no booze! Normally by now I'd be at least half-plastered and on the phone with someone long distance.

Anyway, that's what is going on. Hope everyone else out there is having a great evening (or morning, depending on where in the world you are)!

Comment

Just starting Campral

Hi Mike,

Funny, I was also having cravings last night between 4-6PM. I, too, would have started sipping at 4 and then have been surprised that by 7 the bottle was empty! Last night-my third night of absolutely NO alcohol-I just made myself an early dinner, and then I felt better. Sometimes I find that food really does help and I realize I start drinking because I feel hungry, my blood sugar is down, and a glass of wine really perks me up. Pea soup actually seemed to do the trick last night, maybe that's the miracle cure! HA!

Anyway, I am debating about starting the Campral today or tomorrow, I still had a million sweaty dreams last night so I suppose my body is still in a bit of withdrawal. I know you are supposed to wait until that is over before starting the meds. So maybe I'll start tomorrow, though I'd like to right now.

Keep up the good work!

Ann

Comment

Just starting Campral

Hi Ann,

I agree with you about the blood sugar/alcohol craving connection. I have noticed that if I eat something (something decent, not a candy bar) it usually will make the cravings go away. But if I get started drinking, I'm getting sugar that way and soon forget about food altogether. Hmmm.... OK, so this 4-6 PM craving is a combination of low blood sugar and habit/expectation. Wow, what a concept!

As for starting on Campral, how many days since your last drink? If it has been at least a couple of days, perhaps you could split the difference (between starting today or tomorrow) and start with tonight's dose? Just a thought. Anyway it sounds as if you are being strong now without it. I know it isn't easy. But pea soup is better for you and doesn't leave you wondering what you did the night before :lol

Take care, good luck to you and keep us posted!

Comment

Just starting Campral

P.S. Ann --

I just re-read your last post and realized you already said that you've gone 3 nights with no alcohol. Oops, maybe I haven't had enough caffeine this morning. (another one of my addictions!)

Mike

Comment

Just starting Campral

Status Update

Hi Ann, And USAnne, and others,

Today is day 4 of campral and day 6 with NO alcohol, and I'm feeling great. No side effects except for "slight" GI disturbance, and this is tolerable. It's hard to say if it's working yet.... I didn't have any strong cravings yesterday, and it's too early to tell what today will be like (just after 10 AM here). I guess the true test will come this week, as I approach quitting time at work each day, which is when my strongest cravings come.

I did have to make a somewhat difficult choice last night, though. I was invited to meet friends at a local watering hole, and I had to decline. I was interested in seeing them and catching up, but didn't feel comfortable going just yet. I'd like to be able to go to such events and drink a soda or something, and enjoy myself socially. But I'm not there yet. I havent enjoyed myself socially, sober, in a long time. Perhaps that is one of the images I will put into my hypno sessions. Picturing myself at a party, laughing and talking, without alcohol -- and having a GREAT time.

I have to say, it is WONDERFUL to keep waking up each morning sans hangover, and with full memory of the night before. I could get used to this!

How are y'all doing?

Mike

Comment

Just starting Campral

Re: Status Update

Hay Mikeupnorth,
                    I'm a day new here. I am on day two no drinking. The forum has helped a lot, and it is good to know others are going through the same things. Keep up the good work. It inspires me to do the same. Wishing you a good week. Sunny

Comment

Just starting Campral

Hi Mike

Today is day 2 on Campral for me. Went out to dinner last night with my family at a local diner...did not have any wine. My husband (who knows nothing of any of this!) was in shock when I said no thank you to the server! Ironically HE had some wine,which he rarely does! So I feel good about that. But I think you did the right thing in not going out with your friends. At some point you will want to, and you can't live under a rock, but I think we have to take it easy at first until we get used to not drinking, realize how great it feels to wake up in the morning with a clear head, etc. I am hoping our strength will build incrementally each day!

And yes to that after work time. THat's the hardest for me, from 4-6PM (I work at home). Once 6PM has passed, I feel the cravings dissipate, god knows why. Anyway, keep us apprised!:rolleyes
                      Ann

Comment

Just starting Campral

Sunny -- welcome, and thanks for writing. Congratulations on 2 days. For most of us, even a day or two without alcohol doesn't happen without considerable effort. You will find a lot of support here on the discussion board. And the other components of the program (supplements, hypno and medication, if you choose it) can all help you reach your goal. As they say in AA, "Keep coming back!"

And Ann -- thanks for the update. I know how good (and how strange?) it must have felt to go through your dinner without that glass of wine. We become addicted on so many levels -- physical, social, emotional -- and we find ourselves suddenly in unfamiliar and even frightening territory when we remove the crutch. Here's to finding our way in this new land of sobriety!

I was happy that I chose not to go out with my friends. I'll have plenty of opportunities to socialize in that kind of setting after I feel a bit stronger.

And if 4-6 PM gets hard for you this week, just know that you're not alone in the struggle. Perhaps with the medication we'll both find it easier by the time this Friday rolls around.

Mike

Comment

Just starting Campral

Hi Mike,
                          On Saturday night we had friends over, and I went to the grocery store and stocked up on the booze. Spent my evening serving drinks to others, making pizzas and serving those, talking, laughing, and I drank coke the whole time.

Don't know if it's the Campral, but I had no desire to drink. None at all.

Today it has been one week since I had my last craving. Nothing since. But I do think you were right about not going out with your friends. I believe that we get to a place (and not always, not all the time) where we can start to re-learn how to enjoy ourselves in a group setting where alcohol is served. Maybe the new hypno cd would help... I haven't ordered it yet but I'm sure it could give us some extra willpower when confronted with difficult situations.

Keep on talking and letting us know how everything is working. For me, so far, so good!

Anne

Comment

Just starting Campral

Social Situations

I can totally relate to finding yourself in those awkward social situations in which you're all of a sudden not drinking.

My dr. wouldn't prescribe topa or campral. So I'm relying on Kudzu (which seems to do the trick) and behavior modification, hypno and dealing with my problems rather than going ostrich with a glass of wine in my hand

I had a barbecue on Saturday night at a friends house with a bunch of my workmates and a going away party on Sunday for a friend who's moving away. These were both situations of constantly flowing alcohol and the wine glass that is never empty.
                            I was reticent to go and almost cancelled, but my husband encouraged me to go and just decline offers of wine and opt for bottled water/soda instead. I was imagining everyone making a huge deal about why I wasn't drinking and I really don't feel strong enough to deal with that right now. But in the end, it all went off without a hitch or anyone pushing alcohol on me. I drank my bottled water and no one made any comments.

Then I went to the going away party and that's the one with the heavier drinkers and a more intimate setting and I asked for perrier in a wine glass and begged off that I had a big day the next day and no one said word one.
                            These are people who in a million years would ever dream that I struggle with alcohol. And I don't know that I will ever totally come clean with them that I've stopped drinking because of addiction rather than my excuses of needing a clear head for the next day.

So, I just want to say that it gets easier. It's a slow process, but it does improve. And I have to say that it is so nice to remember last night and every detail of every conversation. I also love the fact that the evening was about connecting with friends that I love and not about constantly eyeing the levels of alcohol in the wine bottles, wondering how I can squeeze another glass out for myself.

Take care all and when the 4pm cravies hit, just know I'll be there with you working through it.

Comment

Just starting Campral

Re: Social Situations

Thanks Mike and Sunny and Anne,

It does really help to know others are going through the same cravings, and beating them. That two hour stretch makes me crazy! I am hopeful the Campral will kick in soon and provide some relief. I do think the longer you go without alcohol, the less you will think about it.

It's interesting that the world is so much more accepting of people who sip Perrier, rather than an alcoholic drink. Yet we still worry at social gatherings, I guess because people are used to us drinking a lot and we're afraid we'll have to provide an explanation. I think it's fine to use an excuse for not drinking, especially at the beginning, which can down the road turn into, "you know, I wasn't drinking for awhile because of XYZ, and I found out I really liked it, so now I am not drinking at all." In general I feel that honesty is the best policy, but we may not feel we can open up to everyone in our lives right off the bat.

Anyway, I am just rambling. Thanks to all for being there.

Ann

Comment

Working...
                              X