Need some convincing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some convincing

Just started on the hypno CD's and feeling very dubious about them. Granted, if the guy had Morgan Freeman's voice they'd be far more effective, but apparently my subconscious is just a stickler for pronunciation. I am jolted out of any deep relaxation whenever he says "ekscalator" or "hummick".

And am I grumpy or is that endless phony ocean just plain annoying after awhile? Running water while trying to go to sleep? It only made me want to pee.

OK, I'm probably grumpy.

Need some convincing

Hi, Carmen.

Well, I don't know if it can be assumed that Morgan Freeman's voice, wonderful as it is, would ensure a more effective hypnotherapy experience. I tested an awful lot of systems--including the "golden throat guys" and some women's, as well. They varied in technique and overall methodology. For me, this one worked best for a number of reasons, including the combined approach in preparation (Clearing), behavior modification via relaxation, visualization, and positive affirmation (Hypnotic), and application of post-hypnotic cues (Subliminal and Sleep Learning.) Of course, one size doesn't necessarily fit all. And as I've said all along, I never set out to develop a system for anyone but me. I found this one very effective, and I shared the program, hypno included, with others. It worked well for them, too, and we've modified as best we can to accommodate a more broad user base.

Others have also said they felt the hypnotherapist's pronunciation of a couple of the words were bothersome. However, I want to be careful that it not be overemphasized as problematic to the majority of users (thus "projected" as a more significant issue than it really is, and result in interrupting their experience.) Because most folks, when asked, say they really don't consider it a big deal. But I do respect that for some, it's simply a nuisance. For that reason, I contacted the hypnotherapist several weeks ago about re-cutting the CDs. We're now discussing how to best move forward on this. From what I understand it will be quite expensive to re-record. However, we also have the option of replacing the words with simple edits if this initiative becomes cost prohibitive. We'll only go this route if we can be sure the edits are seamless--otherwise, they may create an even more jarring audio interruption. But if we can pull it off, I promise to do whatever I can to provide them to current customers who want them for a price as close to cost as possible. I'll send out more info about this a little later.

By the way, I sent a bulk email out about the hypnotic CDs recently to many customers and was really delighted with what I got back. Frankly, I wasn't sure what I'd hear, because I often lose track of customers if they don't contact us with specific questions or concerns. But many reported that they were still using them on a regular basis and considered them integral to their success.

I remember in one of your recent posts you gave wonderful advice to someone about visualizing their evening; about "seeing" their success. So for now, perhaps this strategy will be helpful to you and others with the hypnotherapy sessions; to prepare yourself to "not be bothered" with pronunciation of words or other details. Focus rather, on the techniques and your own visualizations and positive messages, which are very powerful.

Oh, one final thing: you mentioned you felt your subconscious was a stickler for pronunciation...but I think it's just the opposite! I believe your *conscious* mind is making it more difficult and your 'inner genius'--you know who I mean, ha--doesn't give a hoot if it's tomatoes or tomahtoes. Really!

RJ

p.s.: Calms Forte can help with the grumpies...

Comment

Need some convincing

Dear RJ,

Thank you for your generous & truly helpful response. I will try again this afternoon with a more positive attitude.

C

Comment

Need some convincing

Carmen,

We had this conversation awhile back..it was really funny..you should look it up...it brings some comic relief when you have the grumpies and want to make fun of the hypnotherapist I'll see if I can find the link.

Comment

Need some convincing

You know, the hypno cds have really really helped me, and the pronunciation (spelling?) thing I've found to be...cool! Actually, to me, it seems like "James" (that is his name, right?)has emphasized certain things on purpose. To me, he sounds just like a hypnotist should. Hypnotists don't talk in the same way when they're "doing their thing" than in real life, at least I don't think so. I find the difference refreshing and... like hypnotism!
          Well, my comment probably makes no sense. Also the word hammock (spelling once again?) I always thought sounded like an Indian word, and they way he says it just enforces my thoughts. It reminds me of the great outdoors and is like taking a trip to a far off land, where things are calm and beautiful. He seems to be gently leading us to the place we want to be. I love the cds and still, after over 6 weeks of being on this program, listen to his voice every night. Hope you can get into it because I think it's one BIG part of the program. Keep us informed!

Comment

Need some convincing

It's on page five on the other board titled: question for Misha re hypnosis You aren't alone. But on the serious side, the hypno does have it's good days.

Comment

Need some convincing

I have been listening to the CD's for over 4 months. I think they play a major role in staying sober. I didn't even think wanting to be a better mother was an insult. :lol As a matter of fact, I was so glad to be sober I didn't care what was being said as long as it was working. I listen to one of them every day. I think it is time well spent. And think about the return on investment. The more I use them the less they cost me per use. (Boy I am cheap aren't I)

It is best to not turn the sleep learning CD up too loud. As far as being grumpy, I find that when I get grumpy a little exercise to some good music takes it out of me. You will get past this.

Bear

Comment

Need some convincing

I love the guy's voice and the quirky way he speaks and pronounces words, it makes me laugh. I look forward to sharing an evening with him. I suppose you'll never please everyone all the time

Comment

Need some convincing

Dear All,

Thanks for your feedback and fresh perspectives. Turns out I wasn't simply "grumpy"; I was coming down with a massive head cold.

My Topamax arrived last week, but I decided to wake until this week so that I could get away to my cabin which is in a remote part of Colorado to start the program fully. I'm surrounded by undeveloped acres on a dead end road in the mountains --peace and quiet, perfect conditions.

Anyway, prepared with my new improved attitude (thanks again, guys, for your comments) I started again with Clearing and it was going great...my arms and legs are very, very heavy...and now I'm on that cloud, that downy cloud...and he is about to count....and would you believe that right at that moment fighter planes swoop low over my house! Of course, the dogs went wild with barking and I sat upright half scared to death!

The Air Force Academy is about a hundred miles away and I suppose they were just having a little exercise, but I wonder what that did to my subconscious? Gee, now if I think about taking a drink, will bombers come to mind?

Comment

Need some convincing

Ive come to enjoy the quirky voice, but, must admit it took a few times.

Visualization: Not everyone is adept at this. I have a very hard time with it and use alternative techniques which do not effect the efficacy of the CDs. E.G., rather than stairs or escalators, etc I imagine a gentle falling feeling. Whatever works for you.

Relaxation: My only complaint is the relaxation technique. I use Progressive Muscle Relaxtion. You can get a CD from Richard Surwit, PhD, a Duke Medical School researcher at

www.richardsurwit.com/

Comment

Need some convincing

Notes on the hypnotic stuff

Not unfamiliaar with this aproach - did a sweet course (Teach Yourself Self Hypnosis) in Leeds, UK at the Swarthmore Institute in the 80's with one darling Eric Shepherd. His comforting and calming hypnotic support tape got me through my PHD. Little Siamese cat loved it too; used to come and curl up against my arm as I played it.
                      I've no idea why I stopped playing those tapes, except they wore out.

My critiques of your stuff:

(Hint for users : pack up any stray thought in a bubble or a balloon and post it out of your mind) These are the ctitical thoughts I've been trying to post out over the past three weeks.

Hypnotic:
                      Elevator/lifts Eric always aways said don't include them because too many people are afraid of them. In any case - for an international audience the translation or terms are irritating.

'Nice'
                      As a a former English teacher I feel Mike uses this term at irritation levels!

Imagery - confusing

Sequnces down, and down, and down. Ocean imagery associated with elevators down (risk potential?).

For me, certainly don't do pendulems. They make me sick.

Then up? Multiple view? Top view? Disorienting?

I don't do tropical islands. Have to convice myself 'that's not ''palm''. that's ''pine''. Can do a sandy pine cove with rabbit droppings and waves. Though hammock inopropriate.

Hate the sublimiable stuff - nasty flute music

Love the oven stuff (though doesn't sound like ocean - but sends me instandly to sleep.). N0t sure I'm making the neccessary links though.

So: imaagery not entirely coherent.

Comment

Need some convincing

CD's

I have recently found this forum. I am UK based and would like to know whether the CD's are on sale in Europe, or must they be ordered from the USA? Also, would any self hypnosis course work or are these CD's very specific in dealing with alcohol problems? How successful would the course be with just the book, the supplements and the exercises but without the CD?

James

Comment

Need some convincing

Re: CD's

Hi James

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.
                          I have been on this program for 4 weeks now. I have all the recommended tools except the CDs. So far I have not had a drink nor an uncontrollable urge to drink since I started. I've read other posts where the CDs have made quite an impact and I am debating whether I should order just one CD to try. I never had much luck with hypnosis in the past although it wasn't for this particular problem. Read through some of the other posts. There are lots of very positive comments about the CDs out there.
                          ....and good luck

CC

Comment

Need some convincing

Thanks CC

Thanks CC - I have bought a book on NLP which is supposed to help with training the mind and will try to follow your footsteps with the rest of the tools.

I feel like a bit lucky because if it wasn't for my regular nightcap of a bottle of whiskey (Irish) or 2 to 3 bottles of red wine then the rest of my life is pretty good.

James

Comment

Working...
                            X