very early pregnancy and binging - i did it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! i have not yet mastered this drinking problem. heaven help me! i might be pregnant by a couple of weeks, and i drank about five pints of beer last night, and have had a few drinks a few times within the last couple of weeks. does anyone know how much damage -if any- that might cause to the potential baby? i'd like to complete the pregnancy. has anyone out there had experience with this? please share! thank you.

HI!

As a "former" heavy drinker I can understand your situation. Prior to both of my pregnancys I was drinking heavily. Once it was confirmed that I was pregnant, I stopped...cold turkey. You MUST think of the baby. I know I consumed alcohol in the early weeks (before knowing). Both of my children turned out fine....thank GOD. Take a pg. test a.s.a.p. to know for sure, see your OBGYN, get on prenatal vitamins and take care of yourself and the baby. If you must have a drink, try sparking cider in a wine glass or if you prefer beer, try O'dules (VERY low alcohol).
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Stac

Comment

When did you realize you were pregnant? I am a mother of three. Doc's say a beer once in a while is ok, or a glass of wine. I don't believe that you will have any problems at this point. Do talk with your Dr. tell all, for the baby. From this point on do keep away from over the counter or other drugs and drinking. You think its hard on adults to go through with drawl, it will be harder on one that has no choice, as little as there are there body is not developed yet to deal with the pain. I to was in your place. I found out the father of my first child was doing drugs at the time I conceived. Do you plan to keep the baby? Good luck in this challenge, to stop drinking and to carry a baby will not be easy. Feel free to IM or email I would be happy to be a friend from afar. Sunny

Comment

thank you

thank you so much for your supportive reply. it is such a relief to hear that someone has borne healthy children in spite of having been drinking around the time of conception and during the first few (?) weeks. i won't be able to confirm if im' pregnant for another 6 days, as i'm not even late yet. though i do feel relieved to hear your story, i also feel so very ashamed. i know better, but seem to lack control, rationalizing away... somehow, though, i am confident that i will be able to stop, as of now. it's just too painful to continue putting myself and possible babe at risk. if you care to share more, please do. was it a struggle for you to stop drinking once you found out you were pregnant? do you think you drank a lot in the early weeks? thanks so much again.

Comment

thank you!

thank you sunny for your supportive response. yes, i will keep the baby, if indeed s/he exists. despite my drinking challenge, i feel ready to start a family. obviously, the drinking must stop so i can do so with a clean conscience and a healthy body and spirit.

Comment

Hi,

My son is now 10 years old and I drank during early pregnancy before I knew I was pregnant. When I got the results of the test, I stopped cold turkey. I did not find it difficult, in fact, I was so full of fear that my baby would be born with problems, and so guilty feeling, it never would have crossed my mind to have a drink. When I told my doctor how concerned I was, he said that this was the thing that many, many women worried about, and most often, babies were born just fine. Of course he never asked me how MUCH I had had to drink, so I never really felt relaxed or confident. Basically I was a wreck, so I would suggest that you go to your doctor, get a test, and stop drinking. You don't want to live through fear and guilt for 9 months! It's the one, and probably only one, situation in my life where drinking was just not in the cards for me, and I didn't care, all I wanted was a healthy baby. If only I were able to value my own life so much!

Ann

Comment

I drank very heavily several times up until a positive pregnant test. I managed to stop cold turkey, too. It seemed to happen instinctually, but you do need to do it if you want to carry the baby out to term. Morning sickness seems to make it happen, as well. Have you tested positive or is it just a hunch at this point?

Comment

I'm sorry..I just read your other post about not being able to confirm through a pregnancy test yet. I think you'll be able to stop..but don't think it will be your "cure" to stop drinking forever. You'll continue to drink heavily until you get the positive pregnancy test, stop drinking, have a healthy baby, and pick up drinking where you left off if you don't address the problem. Just as we all have....don't worry, though. We all have been there.

Comment

thank you ann, jenram, and all who have replied to my post with such compassion and solace. it's good to hear that healthy children can come out of our bodies, in spite of our mystifyingly cruel behavior toward them. thank you for the hope!

ann, your words touched me; indeed, how much more i, too, seem to value this potential life than i do my own. did having a child help you with your drinking, or did it resume once you gave birth?

jenram, you are right, a healthy baby does not guarantee sobriety! i must deal with it. somehow.

i will keep you posted on my pregnancy status! i should know by friday. thank you so much for the support and kindness. you have been so helpful; thank god for this site. i have wanted to go to aa meetings, but i am a teacher in a small town...
                  blessed be.

Comment

Don't bother with AA yet. Great place, but if you're timid, and possibly PG, wait and protect your emotions. They make jokes (VERY funny) about PMS, but early PG really fucks us up. (is that redundant?) Really, we're here, and as a soon to be g'grandmother, mother of a midwife/OB, I'll pass along your questions. You are loved, you are valuable, you are important. Any product from you is more of the same.
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hey Ruby.... This thread is almost 3 years old and I haven't seen this person since I had joined.

But it is kind of you to respond.

Comment

*lol* i just replied to. I wonder if she was pregnant. I hope everything worked out well for her!

Comment

Working...
                        X