Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Start?

Good Evening, Folks.

My name is Mike. I am new to this program. I just got on line today and I bought the book. I am so impressed and inspired. I've read a lot of the messages and I feel really motivated to get this thing off my back. I drink about 12 beers daily and I am so sick and tired of it. I don't wake up hungover but I am not at 100%. I decided about a month ago to quit the drinking and get my life back in order. I am dying to start the program but I feel I need the meds. Is there a way to purchase the meds on line? I commend all of you and I look forward to meeting all of you. Thank you.

How Do I Start?

Welcome Mike,

Know exactly how you feel. Please view my comments underp095.ezboard.com/fmywayout62668frm14.showMessage?topicID=15.topic

I'm in Australia so it took awhile to get my supps and I'm still waiting on some. Where are you located and what have you purchased so far?

Comment

How Do I Start?

Re: How Do I Start?

Mike,

First of all, welcome. This is a great group of people who are very giving of their support and experiences, and I'm sure you'll find you've come to a great place.

I assume you did not order the pdf of the book but a hard copy so have not read it yet. If that is the case, then let me give you a very brief outline of what is included in the program. First, you will be taking a number of supplements. The purpose is twofold. As a heavy drinker you are most likely quite deficient in many of the most basic vitamins, minerals and amino acids. You need to start correcting these imbalances. As well, there are a number of studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of supplements such as kudzu and l-glutamine (see the research tab on the homepage of the site) in curbing the cravings for alcohol. See this thread for a list of the supplements recommended in the program. You may want to start gathering them now in preparation for starting the program. Make sure you read the entire thread. Also, purchase l-glutamine, as it has been added to the list since that thread. See the l-glutamine thread for more information on this.

On the medication front, the program recommends Topamax as the cornerstone drug to curb cravings. I would recommend you make an appointment to see your doctor now, as it may take a few weeks to get that scheduled. You should also read the research about the off-label use of this drug to curb alcohol cravings included on the site. Some of the people on this program (myself included) have opted not to go through their physician for Topa. That is strictly a personal decision. If you choose not to, there are a number of offshore sites where you can purchase it. It is not inexpensive, but certainly cheaper than a daily habit of a dozen beers. The 'Worldwide supplement, etc. resources' thread at the top of this section of the forum can point you to a number of sites for not only Topamax, but also the supplements.

Self-hypnosis is another tool we all find to be really effective and incredibly relaxing. You should order (and start using) the CDs from this site as soon as possible.

Finally, and personally one of the things I find to be most important, is exercise. If you aren't already, start exercising. It's amazing what those little endorphins do to curb cravings and just make you feel like a million bucks.

We're a motley crew...but quite loveable in our own quirky ways. I'm sure you'll get used to us.

Amy

Comment

How Do I Start?

Amy,

You are like the mayor, welcoming people to our little village! I love it and thank you so much. I still feel on the self-centered side at the moment-still struggling a bit-and am really glad you are so good at reaching out to the new folks and to all of us. Thank you.

Ann

Comment

How Do I Start?

Hey Mike,

How are you today? If I can help let me know. I in it for 4 weeks now and best I can tell you is you have let things take there course. The supps and the topa (if you decide to go that route) do take a little time to work. Don't be disappointed with a couple of slip-ups, it may happen. There are only a couple of us guys hear so we need to stick together!:lol
          Don

Comment

How Do I Start?

Hey Rails-

Thanks for your reply. How are things in Aus?

I have the book. I purchased it on-line.

I haven't purchased any sups yet and I hope to get a prescription for topa tomorrow. I checked out the overseas pharmacies but delivery was anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. I want the stuff now.

Comment

How Do I Start?

Amy,

Hello and thank you replying.

I bought the book on line yesterday and I am very anxious to get started.

Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. I hope to get a prescription tomorrow for the Topa. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Comment

How Do I Start?

Don,

Thanks. I will let you know if I need anything. Right now, I'm just reading, absorbing, getting ready and getting excited. I hope I have found the means to get this thing off my back.

Thanks

Comment

How Do I Start?

Hey Mike,

Been on Topa for two days now. I took 25mg at 5 pm and have my first drink at 7pm. It took me 1 hour to drink my first glass of champagne, I threw half of the second one out. Last night I had one glass. I'm taking half my supps (still waiting on half) and I'm doing my hypno cds at night. I really can't believe how quickly it worked. I usually drink up to 8 glasses a night and never have a night off so you can imagine I'm pretty elated. I'm not stopping myself from having a drink I'm just noticing I don't really want it when I pour it. Tastes different too.

Noticing a few side affects but nothing equals the joy of not drinking. I'm waiting on my kudzu from vitanetonline. They said it would take up to 14 working days to arrive from the US. Hate all the waiting but it's worth it.

If you can get your topa and at least some vitamin B, L-glutamine and milk thistle started you should notice a difference.

Comment

How Do I Start?

getting started

hi everyone
                    I am new to the book and am looking to hook up with people just like me wanting to give up more than anything as its starting to hurt me really bad ,have poor vision and am afraid it may make it worse,will make an appointment with my GP asap to hopefully get the meds
                    good luck to you all this must be great to get up and feel alive
                    terssy

Comment

How Do I Start?

Re: getting started

Hey, another Mike! Welcome~

Welcome to you too, Terssy!

Comment

How Do I Start?

new to this

hi mike up north
                        thanks for the welcome how long have you been here i am having yet another wasted day hung over,am still geting the vits together and arranging to see the GP how about you?

Comment

How Do I Start?

wow this is all abit overwhelming. I still can"t workout when and where I should start. I have the book and i am half way through reading it. I have planned annual leave for april so I can get started with out to much interruption to my work. That's not to say AL doesn't already disrupt my productivity. I will order my Cd'd on payday and buy the vitamins. Still not sure about taking the toprimite.... side effect are a bit scary I really don't want to lose any hair!! I am also thinking about how many wines I have between now and then .... I was AL free while reading then waiting for the book.... now wanting to get a few drinks under the belt while waiting for CD's and vitamins. Any adviceanyone
                          Pearl 58:new:

Comment

How Do I Start?

Hello Semper and all! Welcome!

There is lots of good advice on here -- for the perscriptions, I personally recommend seeing a psychiatrist. The regular interns here in the US don't know anything about most of the recommendations on this site and aren't as open to the idea. Just my personal experience.

Anyway, it's a good idea to formulate a plan and set a time to begin, really work on getting your committment to this whole process in line. It really takes an internal committment. I also recommend looking in the tool box thread on this site as it is full of valuable advice.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Good luck with your journey! :welcome:

Comment

How Do I Start?

Hi Mike and welcome. It is great that you understand that you have a problem, and that you want to work towards a solution. Read and write lots, there are many caring people here who can help. Let us know about your goals, moderation, or quitting all together. It is hard work, but you can do it Mike, one day at a time.
                              Hill
                              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X