Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Topa

Hey folks,

I am just getting started, finished the book, listened to the clearing CD last night, very relaxing. Will begin rounding up the supps this weekend. I plan to begin without topiramate...do not think my job will allow for the goofyness that seems universal with this drug. I have made significant progress in the last year on my own, no wine, no liquor, only the daily six pack of beer. I am so close I hope the supps and the hypno will get me over the hump. No, I don't hope...I know!!! I feel really encouraged by you stories of success...I will keep you posted on my progress.

No Topa

No Topa

Hi JJ,

I felt the same way about Topa. No way caould I function in my job w/ those side effects. My MD perscribed a newer medication called Campral. I love it!
    Cravings are gone. No more 6-packs. The weight is just melting away. The best thing of all, I've had NO side effects! You otta do some research on it and give it a whirl. I'm glad I did!

Stac:b

Comment

No Topa

Question about Topa/Campral

I too have decided to go without meds. I thought I'd need the Topa about a week ago, but getting a scrip was daunting. I also fear the side effects. It's ironic that I fear "drugs" when alcohol is a drug and I don't seem to have a problem with that.
      My question is how long do you feel you'll be on the campral? Is this a short-term med to get you over the hump? or is it a permanent thing? Same with Topa (for those of you taking it)- Is there a light at the end of the tunnel when you can stop taking the meds and the cravings/compulsion will have gone away?

Thanks for any feedback

Comment

No Topa

No Topa

It is recommended to stay on Campral for one year. I don't think I could do this w/o that drug. It is a God-send at controlling my cravings! I think Dr.'s are more readily to perscribe it than Topa. So far, I've had no side effects from it. I've been on it for 5 weeks now!

Comment

No Topa

Hey there, I have had a drinking problem for 30 years. I expected that it would sort of abate by itself as I got older, instead, its got worse and worse. Not news for readers of this forum I am sure. I have been on two moderate drinking courses, on the first occasion I abstained for two years (with lapses that in hindsight look minimal). Second time around it seemed to drive me to bigger consumption levels. I did abstain from drinking (mostly) thru 2 x pregnancies and post-pregnancies. Lately tho' - last two years my drinking has really escalated and I am feel ill all the time, hungover and basically fucked.
          I doubt I can ever achieve ' moderate" drinking, do you think this progam is for me?

Comment

No Topa

Hi Moana and welcome to you.
            It might be better for you to start a thread in the Just Starting out Section, I think you will get more replies that way rather than tagging on to an old thread where you might be missed.
            Have you read the book? That will give you an idea of the outline of this programme, then you can start to put your own plan together. This programme works well for abstainers and moderators. We each need to find our own way through.
            Good luck and I look forward to hearing more of your progress.
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

No Topa

I can't take the Topa because of low blood pressure. I can't take the Campral due to GI problems. I just take the vits and supps, and use the CD's.
              Welcome Moana. You certainly do belong here. Many of us, including myself, cannot moderate. There are many abstinence threads. Why not try the newbies nest. Lot's of support there. Best wishes to all.
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

No Topa

Different meds work for different people...
                Topa is not my first choice because I have some side effects.
                campral doesn't seem to do anything for me.
                naltrexone has stopped binges for me in the past because AL just doesn't feel the same when I take Nal...AL loses it's desirability in a few days.
                I then start taking baclofen and stop the nal...baclofen has no bad side effects for me.
                I now only take the natural sups that are recommended in the MWO book and have not had a binge since OCT...I am so very encouraged by this...
                I now believe that lifetime sobriety is a real possibility for me...
                Stay close and read and post alot...there is much hope for a happy sober life thru this site.
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

No Topa

Moana,
                  Learning to moderate is more difficult than just quitting AL. Start with at least 30 days AF, and go from there. I agree that Newbies Nest would be a great place for you to post.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

No Topa

I might have to stop the topa due to memory loss while working.
                    I'm stumbling over words while talking to clients.
                    It almost sounds like I'm drunk(how ironic) or have a slight mental problem.
                    Unless it goes away fast, I'll have to stop.
                    I was doing ok with the supplements & Cds...also was AF for 30 days before they arrived.
                    Just SO scared of slipping...but I think we can both do it!

Comment

Working...
                    X