Night time sweats/insomnia/dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on my third day of topa and at night am getting the worst sweats and insomnia. I take 25mg at 3:30pm and go to bed about 9pm to listen to the CD's. I then wake up every half an hour and it's like I've just gotten out of the shower, I'm saturated in sweat and I can't sleep very well at all. I also take two calm's forte about 30 minutes before bed.

I'm also having the craziest dreams bordering on hallucinations! Any comments, suggestions, similiar experiences.

Thanks

Rails,

Sounds like withdrawal from alcohol...how long have you not been drinking? Has that been three days as well? Something that works really well is two melatonin tablets and two benadryl before bedtime during this initial stage of insomnia if it's really bad.

Comment

Hey Jen,

Yes that's right, I only stopped drinking the excessive amounts when I started on the topa. Couldn't do it before that. Did you experience anything similiar when you first stopped?

Thanks for the advice on the tablets.

Comment

Another question Jen,

Are you suppose to stop taking the topa after the 12 weeks and does that have any adverse affects the desire for drink. What if you come of it and all the cravings come back, obviously you can't take it for extended periods?

Comment

Oh, yeah...insomnia is a big one. Your body is used having alcohol to be sedated. It lasts for awhile. The dreams will go on for a little while, too. I don't think I personally had night sweats, but that's common, too. Hang in there. It feels good in the morning. Benedryl is the same as what is in the over the counter sleeping pills...so either one will work...it might help you rest better...it did help me the first couple weeks.

Comment

Actually, you can take it for extended periods and I plan to. I asked Dr. Garcia about that and she said it was safe. RJ is still on 300 mg after 2 1/2 years. Many people use this drug for epilepsy and bipolar disorder for years and years, so I figure I can use it for my "disorder". I think the book says you can do either/or. I don't really want to be without it now. I guess you can taper off and see if the craving comes back and make the determination or continue on as is. Depending on your personal situation...

Comment

What dosage are you on and do you drink occassionally or not at all. How long have you been on the program.

I'm so excited that after 7 odd years of drinking daily, except when I managed to stop during pregnancy and breastfeeding, that I can be satisfied with one drink. I'm still in shock.

Thanks for answering my questions, this support group is amazing.

Comment

Re: Night time sweats/insomnia/dreams

Rails,

I had insomnia and night sweats for about two weeks after I quit drinking. They suck. But the good news is, once you get over them, you sleep like a baby.

Amy

Comment

Thanks Amy,

The first night was terrifying. This will make you laugh, I had the most awful dream and was so scared of how I felt, I went and slept in my mum's bed. A 33 year old woman sleeping with her mum, that has to take the cake! The next morning mum was joking about with my baby boy (he's 2) saying "you're not the only one that sleeps with mummy in this house".

But is wasn't enough to deter me and last night was a bit better, although still pretty hard going.

Comment

I'm almost on my fourth week of the program but only my second week of topa (50 mg). Working up..just like you. I haven't tried a drink yet. I'm too scared. I want to, but I'm afraid I won't stop.

Comment

Hey Rails,

I have a two year old boy too. They're pretty fun, huh? Lot of work, though. Drive you to drink...whoops, can't do that.

Comment

Jen,

I'm going in the oppositie direction, I'm not denying myself at all. I'm getting the cravings but holding off a few hours. So I pour a glass at 7 instead of 5.

Because I've just started I wasn't too worried if I didn't do well the first few days. I'm still going to have a glass every night if I feel like it. The enjoyment is being able to pour one.

You know how people say it makes soda taste funny, it does. It also makes champagne tastes strange too, and you almost feel a little flushed, uncomfortable and light headed, so you're less and less inclined to pick the glass up for a sip. After one you've really pushed the limit and had enough. That's what's happening in my case anyway

Comment

Yeah, I figure I'll go ahead and try a glass in a week or so and see what happens. I love champagne.

Comment

Jen,

I think my drinking increased post baby. I found it really tough just looking after one. Couldn't believe people had 3 and 4 and coped well. Ah well, we weren't all born natural mothers were we. Are you in the US?

Comment

Jen/Amy,

Any other side affects for you guys in the first few weeks?

Comment

Working...
                              X