Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AM I DRINKING TOO MUCH???

Hi All,

:new: and need your advice. I've always enjoyed a couple of glasses of red wine each night with dinner but since we've moved abroad I now drink a bottle each night! I don't be drunk just relaxed and head to bed about 10.03pm as i'm up at 6am with my son. DO I HAVE A PROBLEM? SHOULD I COMPLETLY STOP DRINKING? Any advice welcome.:thanks:

Hello and welcome,
    If you are here you must think you do. Statistics show a bottle a night is definitely too much. The fact is although you are functioning, is is not healthy. I can relate to you very much. I am a "mum" as well. Get the MWO book, educate yourself and stick around. We are all here for you. I am new here too, these are some amazing people and you will learn alot. Good luck too you:h
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

THANK YOU

Hi akgirl,

I'm going to try and have two glasses of red each night and enjoy them. Then hope to only drink twice a week maybe. I just don't see myself as an alcoholic. Am I in denial? Tbh it makes me look older, my skin dry and limp hair. Besides having Crohn Disease and taking medication for it I should cop on really.:thanks:

Comment

Welcome Mumof1,

I was thinking of this last night, how much is too much? Well for me the answer is if I drink EVERY day, even just one glass then it's too much. AL should NOT be part of our daily ritual because then you are addicted!!

I started off by modding, which was always my aim and to a certain extent I would like to go back to modding but now that I am AF, I am wondering if I want it back ruling my daily life again?

Everyone has different goal and those goals do change as you go on your journey.

Wishing you the best!!
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks Deebee. I think you are right everyday is too much. x

Comment

Mum,
            I was in the same boat as you - bottle of wine every night. Totally functional, although I started sleeping not so good. And then I started adding in a vodka here and there, or a couple of beers...

Eventually it got to be too much, too often. I think every day is too much too. I am shooting for 1-2 times per week, maybe even less. I don't know. I just started and so far am feeling great the last 3-4 days.

xoxox

Comment

Units wise, you are probably consuming 60 - 70 units a week.
              The recommended limit for females is 14...
              Healthwise I would say it's too much.
              x
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

If you have to ask, then you have a problem. Time to look at your situation...better to do it now before it worsens.
                Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

If stopping is not a problem then maybe deciding to stop for a month would make sense.Then see how life feels alcohol free...
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

It creeps up on you. I remember a few years ago, a friend of mine saying she drank a few glasses every night, and I thought 'crikey that's bad, every night?!' and now (until recently) I've been up to drinking a bottle (at least) a night nonstop for the past five months! I've recently started taking Antabuse again (started but relapse a year or so ago) but of course, being the pathetic creature I am (!) I had to 'test' its reaction with alcohol. As you probably know, it's not one of those medications which make you not feel like drinking: you will still have the urge, but if you drink - well gawd help you!!!. I've slipped up badly with it twice. The first time I'd been taking it for a couple of weeks and went to a friend's house and thought, oh I'll just have a sip of wine, it couldn't hurt... and I promptly passed out - near epileptic fit (have a history of epilepsy anyway) - scared the hell out of the dinner guests, not to mention me, too. Second time was only last Friday. I'd started re-taking the pills - only for two days, mind, and day three my friend invited me round for a couple of drinks so I didn't take a pill on that day, thinking (erroneously) that the two previous days' pills wouldn't have had much effect on my body. WRONG! I sipped (slowly) one glass of wine and found I was having trouble breathing and my friend (who didn't know I'd restarted the medication) asked if I was coming down with a cold because I was having some kind of an allergic effect to the wine, and was starting to 'block up'. I also started to have hot flushes and my friend asked me why I was going red. Stupidly, I worked my way through a second glass - by then I got into a terrible state - my heart started racing, my face was really hot, then my eyes became really bloodshot, and I couldn't breathe properly at all. I called for my son to pick me up and on the way home, he had to pull over while I violently threw up (much to his distress). Since then (today's Monday), I feel like I've been run over by a steamroller, I ache as if I've done a phenomenal workout, and until yesterday my head feels as if it has been in a vice. I absolutely advise anyone not to tamper and test, as I did - it really wasn't a great experience to say the very least, and I have since found out that really I should have gone to the hospital because the side-effects can be fatal!! I am now on the straight and narrow again - remembering the horror of Friday, I am determined to take the pill daily and abstain. That memory in itself keeps me away from the desire for alcohol. Alcohol is so insidious because it's so closely related to our emotions, our social lives, our feel-good factor. My friends say I'm boring now (some friends, huh?) and it's true, I am still having to avoid social situations because I still feel 'left out' if I'm not drinking. So the best thing I can do is not go to the parties/pubs/social gatherings. I'm not strong enough yet, to enter these and sip a glass of Ame.

Comment

For me, it is not about how much AL that I consume. It is about what it does to me and to my life. It makes me physically, emotionally and spiritually sick.
                      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Alcohol is very seductive

I have just recently come onto this website. I read your thread and you seek advice. I think there is always a reason people drink. A bottle of wine is too much and people have found they have cirrohsis of the liver on even less alcohol over a period of time. What you must ask yourself is 'do I feel better in the morning?'. Also, drinking alone is becoming an epidemic. I never went to pubs, but gradually drank starting at one or two glasses of wine or an alcopop. As my body became more used to it, this increased to a dangerous level. On more than one occasion I was drinking five bottles of wine over the course of 24 hours. My life was turning into hell. Do you know what? At the time I did not care and that is the lure and curse of alcohol, it makes you that way. Test yourself. See if you can stop and maybe make that bottle of wine last two or three days. You must be concerned for you would not be here. Good luck:welcome::welcome:

Comment

Working...
                        X