New Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here!

Hi everyone. I've been reading these posts for probably over a year, started the supps. last year and just wasn't successful because my mind wasn't into it. I was trying to force myself somehow, I guess.

A little about myself - I'm married, have one beautiful 10 year old boy. I've been married for 18 years, been with my husband for approx. 26 years.

When my husband and I started dating, it was the party scene on the weekends. We partied with beer and other recreational drugs. At one point, cocaine was my addiction until my husband put a stop to that. I wouldn't have been able to say no, but he did.

Moving into my 20's, continued partying, adding wine to the poison list. Was never a problem as far as obsessions go, but I did drink my fair share. Into my 30's, we added whiskey and vodka as partners to our beer. I found I didn't have to drink as much beer and that was less filling. What a great discovery! Into my later 30's, it became more of a problem, obsession, wanting it all the time. I'm 43 now, and for about 2 years, I've tried off and on to stop, moderate, talk myself into the fact that I'm not an alcoholic, that I'm just like everyone else. Not the case.

I guess everyone's drinking can come from two sources. Our family genes and our experiences. I would say I'm a combo. There have been many family members that were alcoholics. And my experiences as a young person are memories of never feeling good enough. Always in my older beautiful sister's shadow. Very low self esteem my whole life. In my early 20's, I decided to take a shot at college to become a teacher. Well, I did it getting an A on every single test and class I took. I had to. I had to prove something to myself. But guess what. That didn't solve my self esteem issues. I still didn't think I was good enough. In my mid 20's, I got into a deep depression with extreme anxiety. I became afraid of everyone around me. A severe social anxiety. I got hives from head to toe talking with anyone, especially a superior, or whom I thought was superior. This extreme anxiety lasted a long time, and although it comes and goes, I've done better. Maybe all the years teaching has helped my confidence. But it still lurks around the corner. I think a lot of these issues resulted in my overindulgence and into an addiction. I've just gone 13 days without alcohol. I've done this many times before, but always seem to talk my way out of it.

I can't talk my way out of it anymore. Something worse than getting a DUI is having your son see you drunk and not trust to be with you alone because he's afraid you're going to get drunk and not take care of him. I hope it's not too late to regain his trust back.

At work, I'm always in the lead for sick days. That's pretty bad. And I know that other's notice my heavy drinking, and I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. I don't want to be that person. I want to be a good mother and wife. My husband has put up with so much crap such as making him take my son out for a few hours so I can drink. I've had many embarrassing episodes over the years that I hate myself for it.

I started seeing a therapist and plan to start a new church this Sunday. I need God in my life now, can't do it without him. I want the peace and serenity that I think I deserve.

I'm scared that I'll get weak at one point and I just will go back to my old patterns and ways. I'm afraid for my health since I've been such a binge drinker for many years.

Have to go. Hope to hear from you soon.

j-vo
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

New Here!

J-vo,
    The first question: What is your level of committment now? You need to be ready to take this battle on. Have you read RJs book? If you've been reading posts for a year I think you have a pretty good idea of the amount of support available to you right here on these boards. We have a lot of members gearing up for a big AF September; we'd love to have you join the AF ARMY. It is a great group of people..you'll make fast friends with all of them. There are many other great threads also that encourage AF. Whatever you decide, I hope you stay so I can get to know you better. I look forward to your future posts. Remember, there is life after alcohol! Kriger
    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

New Here!

Ditto what Kriger said. It's time to look to the future, and set up a plan! How will you begin changing your daily behavior, starting right away??? The key is in the determination to change, and in making those changes, every day, to support your commitment and determination!!

wip

Comment

New Here!

Kriger and wip - thanks so much for a quick reply. My level of commitment is pretty high at this point. I've come to accept myself as an alcoholic. I don't think I'd be able to admit that to others besides my therapist just yet, although is it necessary being in the judgmental society we are in and the misinterpretation of what an alcoholic really is. I need to go AF always - like I said, mods tried and failed with supps. Yes, I read the book and she makes great sense about everything. I just think I'm one to stay away altogether. If I didn't, my obsessions would never cease. And wip, my plan is getting to know my higher power through a new church. Again, I'll start that this Sunday. As a part of my plan, I hope to make friends here for support and to whom I can support. I want to stay connected because I feel that this will be an important part of my recovery. Also, my therapist I just started seeing will help me to come up with methods to let go of my anger and anxiety. I hope! I'd like to get in on the 30 day AF. How do I do that. Thanks so much for your prompt support!
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

New Here!

J,
          Every day there is a new AF ARMY thread that begins; it actually starts in the middle of the night for us in the US; a lot of members are from UK, Ireland, Spain and even NZ. Look for the thread and go to town. We'll be looking for you there tomorrow! Kriger
          "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

New Here!

J-VO,

Welcome and great advise from kriger and wip.

You are scared and afraid of screwing things up for yourself and family. Both worthwhile motivators. I think the act of putting these thoughts down is good and publishing them here is great: a budding commitment.

Stay with it and nurture it. There are many success stories here to draw from. Like real life there are also setbacks and those who are not ready even though they want to be. From my own time here and observations, I believe that if you make this--not drinking-- a priority in your life and commit completely you can make the change.

For me, like many others, it was when I started thinking of myself as a nondrinker (around 100 days alcohol free or AF) that I knew I was changing. I made the decision to change last July for the same reasons you are expressing: my young children and wife and not wanting to further damage those relationships. I can tell you after 400 AF days that it works. To me it is a miracle: come join the miracle in progress there is plenty of room.

Good luck and come visit the monthly abs thread too.

Take care,

July

One year, one month + AF.

Comment

New Here!

Hi J. Welcome. Your post could have been written by me in many ways.
              The advice you have been given is superb. Stay close to the boards and keep reading and posting. All this will help you.
              Take care
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

New Here!

Hi J-vo! I'm joining the AF Army Monday! Hope to see you there!
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

New Here!

hi j,great thread i can really relate,as many that i have met over the years have said yours and my story are the same,give or take a few years here,you made a good step,you found MWO,theres lots of support here,welcome gyco

Comment

New Here!

To everyone that's said encouraging words, thank you. I've never felt a connection like I do and it's absolutely wonderful and comforting. I'm going to do the AF Army for Sept. with whomever is doing it. And to July, I am afraid of screwing up. I feel as though at 43, I don't have time to screw up anymore. But wow, 400 days is so impressive. I hope to see that. Thanks everyone!

Comment

New Here!

j-vo

Your story and mine are very similar. Except my older sis was top in her class, I wasn?t. My parents put all their value in ?book smarts?. They made me feel so stupid with out even trying. I have put all that behind me and it helps. I hope you are able to find a sense of self worth with your therapist. Best wishes in the al fight!!

omw
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Working...
                      X