Race for the Cure October 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and sign up for the Race in Denver next month. I've never been a runner, so don't know yet if I will try that or just walk it.

I needed something to get me motivated, and when this was mentioned in Church yesterday--I had a feeling someone was trying to tell me something. I've never been close with anyone that has had breast cancer, but have aquaintances with at lease one person I can think of dealing with it now. All cancer sucks. The Susan G Komen people have done such an awesome job getting support for breast cancer awareness.

Anyway, I'm getting kind of a late start training for this, but I'm excited and would love company! This will be a place for me to check in and be accountable. I will also not be drinking any al for sure during this training period!

Wish me luck!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Hope no one minds me using this space to journal my training. Who knows it might provide some good entertainment.
    Day 2. Started the walk/jog like peanut suggested. Started at 3 min walk/1 minute jog, but after 2 times had to go 5 min/1 min. When I started off on my jog, Bear (the dog) looked at me like "What the hell are you doing!" I just don't run, hate to run, but I can tell this is what I need to help get my lungs in shape (among other things). Everything I've read says every other day or 3-4 days a week, but since I only have 4 weeks to get ready, I will probably do it more than that--walk at least.
    Good news i didn't puke. Good news my son's shoes I bought him for track are going to work. Good news it should get easier every time, and like Peanut said 1 minute is doable. Just need a little more recovery time since I am so incredibly out of shape.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hey LV, that is great to hear! I have done the Race for Life as its called over here and it is so rewarding!! You will have fun and be proud of yourself. Go girl!!
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Good for you, LV! You are going to be feeling FANTASTIC in no time, and you're doing a really good thing.

wip

Comment

Keep posting your training progress I'm sure there are many here that want to see you through to victory. Who knows, you might just start a new trend...LOL!! Stay strong and focused. We're waiting at the finish line:yay:
          :l
          LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

How many Km's or miles is the race LV?

I did a ladies race with my Mum and Sister last year and it was an amazing experience. I haven't run since then as I suffered from shin splints but I would love to get back into it again - hmmm you have got me thinking.

Good luck with the training, I am looking forward to your updates!:goodjob:
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Deebee--the race is a 5K. I would never attempt anything more than that at this point. They have a women only race, co-ed race and a 1 mile family race. I hope I can keep the motivation to keep jogging. I really don't like it, but I did feel really good yesterday. You know, the runner's high thing. It helps me to know that I can always walk it, just don't want to come in last!!
              I'm a little sore today, so I think I will go for a bike ride and then I have yoga class later.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

Komen Denver : Welcome

Comment

Good on you LV... damn I wish you were closer I might've joined you.

I do find I need a partner to push and encourage me to excersise .... no excuses.... you have inspired me to remove my rear end off this effing chair that I seem to be glued to and take a stroll.
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

16 years ago I was riding my bike 7 miles to work uphills and down. Yesterday, I dogged it tying to go 1 mile! OMG I am out of shape!! Crap! This might be harder than I thought. Bear is still trying to figure out wth I'm doing! I think I'm wearing too many clothes. Going a little lighter today.

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really helps me!

I replaced the battery in my pedometer, my new little MP3 player should be here today.

I'm off!

Comment

Keep up the hard work!
                    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Keep up the good work LV! It'll get easier!!! I promise! And bear will probably end up having fun too!!! HA!!

Comment

LVT.....Count me in as one of your Cheerleaders!
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

WOW, who needs a personal trainer when I've got you guys!!:l :thanks:

I got my new mp3 player yesterday, so now I don't have to stick my portable cd player in my Unibra anymore!! My kids were a little embarrassed about that method!!:H

Couldn't jog that way either.

Out on the bike again this morning before it rains hopefully. Peanut said I wouldn't melt, but I'm afraid she underestimates my sweetness!!

Thanks for cheering me on, and Kate, I think you should join me!! I don't want to get lost in Denver!

Comment

Enjoy that bike ride!
                            LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

LVT.....I would do the "Walk"....I hate that my knees will not let me really run....I still sprint!! LOL The Bike riding sounds like great training! You go girl!!
                              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X