Marian Keyes - This charming man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I know you are all wondering if I have lost the plot as Marian Keyes is a lightheart read that has no value as a rule but you must give this book a try.....

I got it from my book club thinking "oh a nice light read" but I'm half way through the book and I just can't put it down. There is one character in the book that is a serious alcoholic and the stuff that she puts herself and her family through really touches me. Marian Keyes obviously has first hand experience or did her AL research really well as it is chillinly accurate!

A brief description:

There are four stories that are being told in the same book and they all have a past with a politician - hence the "charming man" title. The story is set in Ireland and there are parts in the book that are so funny I have caught myself laughing out loud and other parts that are so disturbing to read as it is where I could've easily ended up.

I am dying to get to the finish and I am praying that it will be a happy ending!!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Hey Deebee
    Marian Keyes was an alcoholic from about the age of 11/12 year I think - she was a neighbour of mine when I was a kid. She gave up drinking in her 20's I recall after being pretty much at rock bottom in a scungy flat in Norf London. Some of her earlier short stories chronicle it. So you are right she is talking from experience! My favourite book of hers is Rachel's holiday when Rachel the main charachter is put into rehab by her family and is expecting to meet Bono and Sting et al and have spa treatments all day! Wasnt quite like that though.....
    BH (no more)

Comment

Thanks BH, it definetly makes me appreciate her more as a writer. She has such a quirky sense of humour!

I remember Rachels Holiday, I was still drinking at the time and I kept thinking to myself that the character was right, she doesn't have a problem... what were they all making such a big fuss about?? until you get the sordid details from her friend and ex bf.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I have just finished reading this. I agree DeeBee, no light read, but at least I was warned by my friend. I found the alcoholic character very frighting. I was almost relating to her as a binge drinker, even though her situations were even extreme for me, then I found out her real story, terrifying.

Comment

I must run to the bookstore this morning ~ sounds like a delicious read ~ can't wait!
          You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Im reading it at the moment , just at page 200 or so and on the girl who is depressed and her husbo is beating her I think , havent got to the alkie yet but its a gripping read.

Comment

I love anything by Marion Keyes ...just finished 'anybody out there' I was breaking my heart at times and laughing out loud at others ...
              ?We are one another's angels?
              Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Heavenly;532043 wrote: I love anything by Marion Keyes ...just finished 'is anybody out there' I was breaking my heart at times and laughing out loud at others ...
                Ditto!! I have all her books and often find myself giggling away like a lunatic and the next minute dribbling like a baby.

Comment

Working...
                X