X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is NO Mind-Body Connection????

There is No Mind-Body Connection????

By Tim Reynolds, MD

The myth that there is no mind-body connection tends to be perpetuated more than any other amongst physicians. Though if any one of us thought about it for awhile, I'm sure we would agree that the mind has a lot to do with a person's propensity to get sick and ability to heal.
    We tend instead to focus on the biological cause of disease such as the bacteria, the virus, or the cancer. We rarely ask, "yes, but why was this person affected by the organism at this time in their life?" Certainly we are all exposed to cancer cells, viruses, and bacteria on a daily basis, so why do some of them affect us, but not all of them?
    Could it be that things we do or think make us more susceptible?
    The word disease could also be spelled dis-ease. When the body is at dis-ease, it is more susceptible to outside influences that make it sick. We all know of someone who has gotten sick after being stressed out -- or someone who just decided to give up and die after a spouse had died.
    Our brain is constantly releasing modulating substances that help control our heart rate, breathing, cortisol levels, adrenaline, etc. It only makes sense that these substances can make us more immune or more susceptible to disease. Only now are we beginning to understand even the names of some of these modulating chemicals, let alone how they work or how they interact with each other.
    But despite our lack of knowledge, we do know that a positive self image, good attitude, laughter, marriage (in most cases!), and a myriad of other "emotional" factors affect healing times and the ability to overcome disease.
    Most heart attacks occur on Monday morning. Laughter has been shown to improve cancer survival. Loving a pet makes you live longer and happier. It would be naive to think the mind does not control the body. It turns out peace of mind may be as important to your health as anything else you can do.
    Stress makes us sick. But what is stress?
    Many patients tell me they are under "stress," yet their reasons don't seem stressful at all. People such as the President of the United States or the CEO of a Fortune 500 company would seem to be under stress all the time, but they don't seem "stressed out." What is the difference?
    Stress is your internal reaction to external forces. It is not so much about what happens to you; it's your reaction to what happens to you. And you always have control over your reactions even if you don't have control over the outside event.
    Here are some suggestions that will have a positive impact on your mind-body connection and help you to stay healthy. [list type=decimal][*]Take a walk once a day and use that time for thinking and working things out.[*]Have integrity in how you live. Make sure your actions exemplify your beliefs.[*]Have an hour of Power once a day -- that is an hour that belongs just to you to do what you want. Take time away from the stresses of life to read, write, or meditate.Make peace and forgive. Carrying those feelings of anger with you will not help you. The person you won't forgive is not being hurt by your anger, but you are. Let it go for your sake even if they don't deserve it.Develop an attitude of health. When people ask me why I never get sick, I often say it's against my religion or that I have a super-human immune system. The funny thing is that since I started saying these things, they've seemed to come true. I now believe them -- and so does my body.[/list type=decimal] Give this new way of thinking a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain -- starting with your good health.

Right I'm off to find the nearest meditation class!

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

thank you for sharing that hippie love and sound like a plan
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Beautiful post Hipster,Great ideas we can all use to guide us towards inner peace... Simplifying our lives,getting back to nature and in touch with our own inner wisdom are all good tools,as well..
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Thank u for sharing that Hip. I am a Nurse and have seen the mind-body connection at work. It is sooo true.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

yeah point 4. made a lot of sense to me in the suggestions. It also made me think again about this whole dis-ease approach to drinking in general rather than just from the perspective of the alcoholic. I know recently my mind has been all over the place after drinking and I guess my body has found it harder to 'heal' after a 'session' or binge because of it. I'm not suggesting it means I can go out now and drink if my mind-set is right but it bears some thinking about at least! That sounds even more like I'm trying to justify having a drink doesn't it?!!!!lol

Day 6 today and feeling great and in good spirits in my mind too.

Love and Happiness
          Hippie
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Great post!!

Going to copy it (if you don't mind) and send it out to the family:-)
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Great post. I completely agree.
              Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying... "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

evielou;412236 wrote: Simplifying our lives,getting back to nature and in touch with our own inner wisdom are all good tools,as well..
                I couldn't agree more with that comment Evie.

Love Hips
                xx

Comment

Fab post, hip.........thanks.

Am not talking alcohol here........am talking more about all that ails us in life in general.........I truly do believe that our negative attitude does indeed go a long way to actually courting illnesses and strifes.

I had occasion to visit a cancer unit here today.........very humbling experience, and naturally, just going there forced me to momentarily "pull myself up" and note what a little frigging, unappreciative whinge I can be..........I mean, why settle for a molehill in life, when I can singlehandedly transform it into a whole big mountain, right??!!! lol/no lol

However, as I said, today`s experience was just one of many that makes me realise just how blessed my life is in so many ways, but all too often, that dawning pales into insignificance far too quickly, and I find myself back to my usual moaning and groaning within a matter of days.........shame on me!!!

I think undertaking to transform our attitudes from negative to positive, is one huge endeavour. I`ve recently developed an avid (lol) interest in books on life-coaching (I consider this approach to be Stage 2 of my personal recovery)..........some inspiring stuff has been written and I can all but feel those writings stirring me to immediately address the areas in my life with which I am discontent. Such a shame though, that when I put the books down.........actively seeking to generate improvements in my life suddenly seems too much like hard work, and I revert back to whinge mode, of course!!! LMAO

Seriously though, hip, I wholeheartedly believe that the mind has almost limitless power over what goes on in our bodies, life etc. and that attitude can indeed be everything.

Darling x
                  Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Working...
                  X