Question for you all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you all

I'm pretty much a newcomer but doing a lot of reading on this forum and thinking hard about beginning a 30 day abstinence. I'm wondering if, when you all stopped drinking, you sort of chose a date in the future and worked toward that "quit" date psychologically or did you just wake up one morning, decide to do it and then rearrange your life because the moment was right now?

I guess I'm struggling a bit because I think I'm finally feeling ready to really make the 30 day commitment but I know we're leaving on a 10 day vacation soon where we will be staying with drinkers and I'm really positive I won't be able to abstain under the circumstances. So I want to choose a date in early October after our vacation and get really ready for it. On the other hand, I'm a little worried about losing my motivation if I wait. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing but I do hate to stop now (if I even could) and then drink again in a week. I think it might be damaging to my self confidence.

I'm just curious as to what worked for you. Thank you.
    Time2live

Question for you all

hi time you caught my attention,im not a new comer but all try to help,if you really wanted to stop,not quit,you would,but dont put tht much pressure on yourself ,or it mt bite u in the butt, when you go away,you do seem to have a grip,watch yourself,when you holiday,really its up to you how much you drink,we can only suggest,take a nt off, when all are patying and see how odd they ACT,maybe you act the same when you drink,then youll really see the REALL,picture ,i DID, gyco have fun,oppppppppps by the way welcom to M W OUT

Comment

Question for you all

I am on my 6th day AF and planned the date to start. For me it was getting past a couple of weddings for dear friends where I knew the AL would be flowing. I did 'count' what I was drinking at the weddings to try and maintain. I also continued to have my daily 'shots' during this time.

Then I wanted to have time to myself, knowing that my Hubby would also be with me for support. I work 3 days out of the office and the others at home, so wanted to start on day 1 of being home. I also have my grand-daughter every other weekend and knew that that wouldn't be the weekend to start.

Just as important, for me, I read the book twice and had all the supplements ready to go.

Being ready psychologically (sp), communicating with Hubby, planning activities during my witching hours (5-7pm), and having the supps have made this first easier than I expected. The cravings have been under control (thanks to the L-Glut under the tongue).

Reading everyday on the forums has been a huge part as well. Sorry to ramble, just wanted to give you my experience thus far.
      Today is my next day AF.

Comment

Question for you all

I have already read the book once and will do it again the first week in October, just before I'm ready to stop. Gyco, you're right that if I really wanted to, I would just do it, but I don't think I'd succeed now. I'm very afraid as it is that I'm not going to be able to do this.

I think for me the right decision is to wait until I'm back, have everything ready as me2 did and then JUST DO IT. Congratulations to you Me2. I hope I'm as successful.

One 2 many, I will jump on the Army thread when I'm back and will take a look at it right now too. I will try to cut back while I'm gone but in the past I seem to step it up when on vacation.

I agree now that it is important to keep reading on this forum. Funny how it seems to help my resolve.

Comment

Question for you all

time2live;412600 wrote:

I'm wondering if, when you all stopped drinking, you sort of chose a date in the future and worked toward that "quit" date psychologically or did you just wake up one morning, decide to do it and then rearrange your life because the moment was right now?

I guess I'm struggling a bit because I think I'm finally feeling ready to really make the 30 day commitment but

I'm just curious as to what worked for you. Thank you.
          Time2live
          Hey Time2,

For me it just felt like the right time and I did it.
          There are always reasons not to quit, so don't use these to worry and fret.
          Don't worry or fret at all , is my advise, just do it when its time and see
          how it fits and feels, you will slowly grow into it and the days will stack up.

If you trip up, no worries, pull yourself up by yer bootstraps, take stock
          and restart the quit mode.

It's not a big change all at once, its a bunch of small incremental
          adjustments that will feel like a big change at the end of 3 months.
          Its a growth thing that requires a kind of long term continual push in
          the quit direction, but is not noted by its over all effort, just its duration.

It might seem difficult at first, but it is recognized later as not being so
          bad. but you do notice the continued duration, If you follow me. There
          is some testing of the willpower here and there, but the longer
          period of time you build up, the easier the tests are.

You will come to see the testing as a release of the stored mental energy
          of the [perverted] desire component of the addiction. When this happens
          you are truly on the road to a new life.

I guess everyone is different, but this is how I have experienced it and how
          I have heard others with a long time express it.

You are to be commended for having the fortitude to consider
          this action, as may never come to this point, without considerable pain.

God speed, and no worries, Sam

Comment

Question for you all

i assume you want to stop totally.... if so i would say too that if you wanted to you would do it today .... i was like you i always found a reason not to stop until one day i went for the 30 days thread and 16 months later here i am !!! Just go for it ....
            ?We are one another's angels?
            Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Question for you all

I set myself a date and tried to prepare myself mentally for it. I recall I wrote a list of everything I was looking forward to about being AF. As it stands I am on Day 17 of my 30 days.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Question for you all

Thank you everybody. I've noticed that I may be on the wrong forum. I'm pretty new and didn't realize there was a Monthly Abstainers forum also that I probably belong on. I apologize. Or maybe I'm supposed to be on the My Story forum still.

It was my original intent to just cut back on my drinking myself. However, I now believe I must do the 30 day abstinence thing to REALLY see how it feels. Also, I've been thinking a lot about this and would like to do the permanent abstinence if I am strong enough. There is nothing good about drinking so why not go the whole way?

I sure hope I can do this. I am feeling more committed every day but like Vlad, I am going to set a target date during the second week of October and really focus on it. When I stopped smoking years ago, that's what I did. I also have a mental list of all the reasons I want to stop and I will commit them to paper.

Time2live

Comment

Working...
                X