Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discom

The Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discomfort by Eskapa. Anyone read this? Just curious! :l
    "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Nope.

Comment

Best, where did you find this book?
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

bestlifeldms;420564 wrote: The Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discomfort by Eskapa. Anyone read this? Just curious! :l
        I am curious about this book. did you read much of it? sounds a bit like what I have done.
        I will look into it.

hope it's helpful
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Actually, it came to me in an e-mail advertisement today, from Amazon. No, I haven't read any of it. Haven't had time to research it yet.
          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

From Ammazon:

Product Description
            The Sinclair Method, a well-known treatment in Finland and other parts of Europe, is a scientifically-proven treatment that actually cures the dependence of alcohol through the combination of the drug Naltrexone and the continued consumption of alcohol. The Cure for Alcoholism is an introduction to this breakthrough treatment with a 78 percent success rate, and will help millions that suffer from alcoholism and the additional millions who are affected by someone else's addiction to finally find relief.

And here is the Sinclair Method website:

The Sinclair Method

Haven't read the site yet, but will do now.

Comment

Sinclair Method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting.

Comment

I have heard of the Sinclair method but had no idea it was so sucessful...Thanks Marabella..
                Best my Dear,Please let us know what you think of the book....I need some more tools to give to Clients that are still suffering..
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

AA had the same idea when it 1st started out,puke and something the people they treated were so sick from alchohol abuse it was the only way they could be treated,then from 1935 to now they have lerned many different ways to get you to stop,if not to stop wake you up to reality,we all no to much of anything will hurt us gyco

Comment

evielou;420749 wrote: I have heard of the Sinclair method but had no idea it was so sucessful...Thanks Marabella..
                    Best my Dear,Please let us know what you think of the book....I need some more tools to give to Clients that are still suffering..
                    It seems the book has not yet been released Evie- it can be pre-ordered on Amazon though.

Comment

Sounds similar to Allen Carr.

Comment

Naltrexone (Revia) as a medication for treatment of drug addiction and alcoholism is not new. You can buy the stuff through River Pharmacy (links here on MWO). Figures such as 78% "success" rates are considered highly questionable at this point, since this treatment is too new for any long-term follow-ups or widespread applications to have taken place. Also, there is concern that using an opioid antagonist (pleasure center blocker) might (and some say does) lead to depression (people don't enjoy alcohol, but they don't enjoy anything else, either).

The idea that one SHOULD continue drinking while using naltrexone is the particular angle that Dr. Sinclair promotes. Whether that is actually MORE helpful or not, is (from what I can see) yet to be determined!

Nevertheless, it looks like the drug might be helpful, at least for some. Here's an excerpt from the abstract of a study in the Archives of General Psychiatry:
                        Consistent with animal data that suggest that both naltrexone and ondansetron reduce alcohol-stimulated dopamine output in the ventral striatum, the current study found evidence that these medications, alone or in combination, could decrease alcohol cue–induced activation of the ventral striatum, consistent with their putative treatment efficacy.
                        wip

Comment

I have been intrigued about this for a while. WIP's explanation of the success rate sounds reasonable to me.

But I wonder if those side effects would apply if you only take it as Sinclair advises, on an as-needed basis instead of daily, maybe not. I read that you can take it only on the days you were drinking. I think in practice it is being used with abstinence, like with the monthly shot version Vivitrol, but it also can promote moderation and eliminates the getting high aspect of booze with the drink itself, possibly eliminating the habit (as WIP says, this is Sinclair's theory.) Chantix for cigarrettes is similar in that respect and some say Chantix works on alcohol.

Another thing I heard in terms of downsides of naltrexone was the fact that it blocks all drugs with similar actions and this might become an issue if you had a medical emergency and needed pain meds.

Comment

The Cure for Alcoholism -- New Book

bestlifeldms;420564 wrote: The Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discomfort by Eskapa. Anyone read this? Just curious! :l
                            I did: I wish every health care professional, social worker, psychologist, member of the clergy, and alcoholic or their family could get their hands on this book and try the cure! What hope! What joy! For anyone who knows someone who is in the grip of alcohol addiction and wants their life back this is the book.

The options available to alcoholics up to now have been limited to detoxification and abstinence. There are numerous programs from AA to food and other therapies designed to help people to resist their craving for alcohol but the program outlined in this book (the Sinclair Method) provides a safe medical alternative which will cure the alcoholic of their cravings over a period of time. The irresistible craving for alcohol is both a learned behavior and a disease and this program provides alcoholics with an understanding of how that behavior can be unlearned and the craving extinguished with a safe generic drug. It is difficult to believe that there is a safe effective cure for this debilitating disease available for anyone who wants to get the prescription. It is difficult to believe that all the pain and suffering associated with alcoholism can be a thing of the past. What is not difficult to understand is that when something sounds too good to be true people will doubt that it is true. In order to accept this program people will have to unlearn much that they believe to be true about alcoholism. They will need to unlearn that the only way to treat alcoholism is through abstinence. They will need to unlearn that the only way to overcome a drinking problem is by submitting to a higher power. They will have to unlearn that in order to stay healthy the alcoholic must remain abstinent. What they will have to learn is that as long as the alcoholic is taking his or her medication before they take that first drink they are actually drinking their way to a cure. They will have to learn that this medication can provide a way for the alcoholic to safely and slowly detoxify and reach a point where alcohol is no longer the major focus in their lives.

Dr. Eskapa presents all the information a person needs to get the cure for alcoholism. It is simple and safe. The book is easy to read while providing a logical scientific explanation of why and how the process works. It is well referenced and indexed and useful for alcoholics themselves as well as professionals who work in treatment programs or others in the medical profession.

I will be purchasing additional copies to share with friends and colleagues.

Comment

Again, this method is intriguing but still considered questionable for several reasons. One is the deeply entrenched 12-step stranglehold on funding of alcohol and drug treatment programs. Another is that the developer, Dr. Sinclair, appears to many to have far over-stated his "success" rates and is considered something of a self-promoter, which is not a good thing among scientists. Third, is the potential problem with liver toxicity for people who are consuming alcohol while taking Naltrexone (one of our members recently tried this method and found that she had to quit for this reason). Fourth, there are several anatomical and biochemical brain systems that are involved in addiction. The method of action described by Sinclair potentially addresses only one of them. Long-term freedom from alcohol abuse, for those whose habit or addiction is deeply entrenched, probably depends on multi-modal interventions that address more of the "pathways" or systems (cognitive, emotional, behavioral) that are involved in the choices that people make to consume drugs.

I was curious about this stuff, so I recently did my own literature review of the scientific journals. There's not much supportive data for this method, and not much enthusiasm among the top-level addiction scientists (and these include people who are certainly not 12-steppers).

I caution that we should all be wary of books in the popular press that promote treatment methods; books are not products of a peer-reviewed scientific process. Books can be written by anybody, and are published based on their potential to sell, not on their scientific accuracy. They might be very persuasive... and they might be accurate... or not. Addiction-cure books are not any different than miracle diet cure books, in that regard.

wip

Comment

Working...
                              X