Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Rachelita's Mom - Copper

Hi Copper, :welcome:
    Individual posts can get lost in a thread easily, so please don't be discouraged for lack of response. Your best bet is to start a new thread and you'll be amazed at your feedback (I guess I've done it for you).

What a lovely bunch of people we have here on this site! As you get to know some, you will see that no one enjoys this struggle. We try and try, many with lots of success, many with just a little. But every day sober is a victory! We pat each other on the back and cry or pray with those who need help.

A few of us were struggling last night in the chat room. Because of the friendship and humor found there, many were able to ignore the "voice", myself included. This program has changed my life in so many good ways. I can remember if Rachelita is armed with the tools (book/cds/supps), but they have been extremely helpful to me as I am now in days 90+, so please encourage them if she doesn't have them already.

We will be here for you both, to help in any way we can. :h
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Hello Copper and Welcome
    It is wonderful that your are so supportive of Rachel. She is doing well. My journey is made much easier with the support of my sister and children (grown children). The people here are absolutely fantastic!! They have talked me out of the drink in the worst of times. I also read the book and use some of the supplements. I am glad that you are here. You have prompted me to introduce my sister to the site. Thank you.
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Welcome Copper,

It is truely love, when someone cares enough about their family member to do the harder thing. I thank my husband every day for caring enough for me that he did not let me continue to drink. Obviously, I made that choice, but he was a huge part of making me see.

This is an awsome place to get support without judgement. We are all in this together. It's great having you here.

169 days AF!
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

I missed the original post by Copper, can someone direct me? I haven't even been home long enough to read everything, I think most of you know all the grief I've had lately, so I'm still trying to catch up on the posts! To Rach, I'm soooooo proud of you, I sooooo remember your struggles, I was soooo worried, I've never called 911 for someone ever, esp. out-of-state, and I hope that night, in some small way, has helped you to realize how scary this addiction is at the bottom, obviously, you have MADE GREAT STRIDES, from just one post I saw. Way to go, and keep it up! Copper, so great you are here with us, this is an awesome site, awesome folks, several I've spent time with in person....its a struggle, lots don't understand how tough it is, but it sure helps to know you aren't the only one, and to have such a great support system, and resources. Welcome, and tell us all about you too!
        "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Dear Copper,so sorry that I missed your post.Please come and let us get to know you...The people here are all striving towards a common goal.They want the destructive power that alcohol has on their lives to STOP...Together we help one another to Beat this Beast and get on with a positive new way of living.you will find much support here so stay close..Blessings to you and your family..
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hello everyone, my youngest daughter emailed me how to get to this site, I am computer challenged!!
            I read each and everyone of your postings and it warms my heart to know Rach has such loving and caring people who she can open up to and share her thoughts and feelings. She needs that, she cannot do that with us, even as a pre-teen and on, she would just shut herself up. We've had some really difficult years, and the difficulties continue. With your suppport and love, maybe she will see what we see and know, that she is such a wonderful person, big giving heart, loyal to a fault, great with kids, bi-lingual, smart and beautiful inside and out. I have given up sweets, (I am a dessert head), just to get a bit of the feeling of how hard it must be to give up drinking. (I do not drink) I struggle everyday to fight the urge to eat dessert what keeps me from eating any is Rach, because I know she is fighting an even harder battle. But I also know she has the strength, but not alone, she can do it with help. Hopfully your help. God bless all of you who fight everyday to stay sober, one day at a time marches hopefully into many weeks and months and years. I will check in everyday, thank you again.
            ~Copper~

Comment

What a lovely and loving post Copper.

Comment

Yes, that was really moving Copper. She is lucky to have you as a Mom. And hopefully she will start to see herself the way you see her.

Comment

Copper, I was so happy to see your post today! My mom made a comment over the weekend that so-and- so was an alcoholic, like it was a character flaw. If she only knew that her daughter struggled as well...it was something I hid for 20 years from her because I didn't want to shame her. How wonderful that you see the beautiful qualities your daughter has and don't let this struggle make her less in your eyes.
                  Hugs to you both!:l

Comment

Hi Copper
                    Welcome! I hope this site can help you all- it has helped me.
                    -Sheep

Comment

Hi thanks for the comforting words. I have a first cousin who is in his early 50's who just gave up drinking in April. He lost his job, wife and any connection to his extended family for years. But for some reason he would call me, I think because I never asked any questions, just accepted him. ( we were very close) I think that made me realise that "alcoholic's" are people, real, loving, smart, talented people. And that helps me with my attitude with Rach, she is still who she is, just lost right now. But I still get angry, upset and sad, I have my own issues, don't we all?
                      Thanks for taking the time to answer me, and keeping Rach in your care.
                      Sincerely,
                      Beck ps River does your mom know you struggle with this? Maybe she'd surprise you with her reaction...might not be like you think??

Comment

Has anyone had any contact with Rach? If so please let me know, I only want to know if she is okay.
                        Thanks, ~copper

Comment

Copper, sorry I did not see this post earlier. I tend to check "Just Starting Out" and "General Discussion" - I need to expand my horizons a bit! I haven't not heard from Rachelita and just checked the boards and she hasn't posted in a few days. Please let us know if she is okay.
                          P.S. I haven't said anything to my mom, maybe someday I'll tell her of my past struggles. I'm so grateful to this site and the whole MWO program, I am heading on 4 months now

Comment

Hi Copper, I am soooo glad you have joined in! We all do care so much for each other! How is Rach? I've been gone alot, and fixing to leave again for my 4.5 yr. cancer check-up from Texas to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, and won't be in touch for a bit....so I'd love to leave, knowing all is well! Rach is so lucky to have you, and for you to be supportive and understanding. I think its incredible you are trying to understand how difficult it is to just "quit"....I struggle, and I think if I had to quit drinking and eating Ben and Jerry's, or not have that baked Alaska at my fav seafood restaurant, I might just go ahead and fling myself off into the Chesepeake Bay next week! Most family and/or friends that don't drink, just think you should just get a grip and handle it...this way, you understand to some extent, how much deprivation it entails, that's one of the sweetest things I've heard! I completely gave up sugar when I was diagnosed, Hopkins, among many others, believe that cancer cannot survive without sugar, so its just been like the last 6 mos., that I've added a bit of reward back into my diet! I bet you even experienced some "withdrawls" too, I did, man, I had a headache, and felt really tired the first few days, just like alcohol that converts to sugar, you have that hypoglycemic letdown. I was so worried about Rach the night I called 911 for her, I was so hoping she'd get into a treatment center that night, she was so down, but I could tell, she wanted to be well so badly, and just physically couldn't get over the effects of the withdrawls long enough to get better, I know she's been really trying tho. She is soooo sweet on the phone, and so intelligent, I told her she has sooo much to offer, my goodness, she even has a masters degree. I'm sure after reading alot here, that you see that alot of the majority with problems, are very successful, very educated, and driven folks, at the very least, all very sweet and hard working....its amazing we can conquer sooooo many things, and are so smart, and yet, this is a battle we can't seem to put on our goal list, and score..... Please stay with us, and know we love having you and your daughter in our group. God bless you for being there for her, for really being active in trying to understand, and its great for some of us that our families don't understand, to have a Mom here, that sure pitches in and trys to identify. Thank you so very much!
                            "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Dear River and Tough,
                              I didn't know you had actully talked to Rach and called 911 for her Tough. I am not sure this was recent or not. She contacted me through a face book yesterday or one of those sites, not doing well, had been in bed three days, knows she needs a job, is broke, no money for utilities and no car. We dropped her back off to her apartment in another town alittle over two weeks ago without her car. She was passed out on our front lawn, had been sneaking out buying wine and getting plastered, and even stole some wine, we had the police call our home (they called the day after we had dropped her off at her place). Since she lives in an area within walking distance to a grocery store, park and shops, we choose to keep her safe (and others if she ever decided to drive while drunk) and not let her have a car. She is also able to ride a city bus.
                              To be honest, all I "heard", was a pity party, knowing Rach, trying to get us to feel sorry for her. We've been through this to many times to give her anymore. She needs to wake up, no matter how long it takes, and get well on her own. We have offered to pay for counseling, and transportation if she decides to go in patient. There is a free in patient facility that is Christain based that she wants no part off. That was my first clue that she really isn't ready.
                              We are here, but not here to bail her out if she decides to steal again, or pay her bills, that is all hers.

I will pray for a clean bill of health for you Tough, congrats on almost 5 years!! And River what a feat, 4months!! That is awesome...one day at a time.

Thanks for being there for Rach,

Copper

Comment

Working...
                              X