The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just started this yesterday so haven't got very far but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has read it and what impact its had.

Its about the power of the mind and how the law of attraction says like attracts like and when we think a thought we are also attracting like thoughts. Our thoughts create our future life and what we think about most - whether its positive or negative - will appear as our life.

Looking forward to really getting into it and hopefully your replies!!

Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

That coin has two sides: on the one hand it encourages people to think more positively; on the other hand it encourages people to blame themselves when life circumstances are stressful or disastrous (the idea being that they "asked for it" by thinking negative thoughts). It also comes close to endorsing outright "magical thinking": if I just think about having lots and lots of money, or fame, or a perfect spouse, or whatever, then the universe will give it to me...

wip

Comment

I am with WIP once again!

Actually, I am pretty critical of the Secret. Laughing your way out of cancer! Not to say that it doesn't help to have a positive attitude, but as WIP says, people could blame themselves if they don't get well.

The Secret is all about abundance and in my opinion this is unrealistic. I think wanting abundance is a problem of the consumer culture and The Secret just capitalizes on these fantasies, that you can get whatever you want, have as much as you want. It's like a spiritual Super Size Me manual, a psychological McDonalds.

I don't like it in other words!! But hey, we have discussed it on the forum before and some people got a lot out of it.

I think it's important to give negative thoughts a voice and not to try to make everything positive. By giving negative thoughts an airing, you can let them go. If you want a good book on positive thinking, check out You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay.

Comment

The secret is based on Abraham Hicks Channeling's.I have know Ester Hicks since 1990 and attend many classes and seminars given by her.I have seen first hand how powerful her teachings can be.People have come who were dieing of cancer others bankrupt many,many who were alone and depressed and then to see them 6months or 1year later having taken responsibility for their lives and becoming empowered to change their inner dialog's and in turn, their lives, become healed.as they say in their classes,not everyone is ready to hear their message but for those who are,i have seen incredible out comes...
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

nancy;421412 wrote:
          The Secret is all about abundance and in my opinion this is unrealistic. I think wanting abundance is a problem of the consumer culture and The Secret just capitalizes on these fantasies, that you can get whatever you want, have as much as you want. It's like a spiritual Super Size Me manual, a psychological McDonalds.
          You nailed it, Nancy. This is actually the aspect of the "Secret" that is most offensive to me... I believe that the "spirituality" or "gospel" of prosperity, or abundance is such a scam and so spiritually bankrupt. The mega-church "pastor" Joel Osteen is one of the guys who preaches this stuff and who has, himself, achieved huge amounts of "prosperity" out of the pockets of his congregation; there was quite an amazing expose about him in Slate magazine not long ago.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I own a copy of the Secret, and like it, and don't like it. I am concerned that it is narcissistic. And may discourage political action. After all, the logic does say everyone is creating their own universe, so why help anyone,...and yes, one of the people visualized, and 'recieved' a gigantic home that would use endless resources and 'prosperity' to maintain...also, people who are really into New Age, when they say something about their life, like how wonderful it is, I don't know if they are sharing truly with me, or just doing an affirmation, in hopes of a future achievement. on the other hand, I have used it to help sharpen my goals, and take care of myself during a stressful time in my life.

Comment

...and is there a connection, like just a trend in general, as wip said in an unrelated post of 'proudly anti-intellectualism' - ?

Comment

WIP,

While I do not in anyway dislike Joel Osteen, I truly believe his heart is good and he wants so much good for people, just like several other ministers out there, I so agree with what you said.

The world is filled, and I mean filled, with millions of people who are born into poverty in countries where there is little hope of anything else. If one were to listen to the "feel good" ministers, one would think all these people have to do is pray and believe and they could all overcome their abject living conditions.

Some do, no doubt, but millions don't. I, one, do not lay any responsibility at their feet for their condition and secondly, do not believe that a positive attitude and prayer is going to help the vast majority of them.

Additionally, I do not think that those of us who live in a better world, with much better circumstances are in anyway designated as special by God.

We are all God's creatures.

God never told us that this life was going to be easy, He never said we would not suffer. As a matter of fact, the Book of Job comes to mind.

Even Jesus once asked "Oh, Father, why hast Thou forsaken me?"

I do thank God for the good things in my life and consider myself extremely lucky that I was born into the society and the country I live in.

Religion aside, I also believe that wallowing in fear, self-pity and self-doubt does affect our actions in a very negative way. These things will keep us from achieving as much as we possibly can. These negative thoughts keep us from acting to achieve happiness.

My feeling about life is that we should do the best we can with what we have, we should be grateful for whatever blessings we do have and we must recognize that we are part of a global community. Helping to bring the world altogether into a better condition is one of our responsibilities. It is a simple part of The Golden Rule.

I also believe that being happy is so much better than worry and self-pity, even if there are things to worry about and things to be self-pitious about.

Geez, I cannot believe I have said all this. I am sure this thread in no way was meant to go this way, Janice!! Sorry, but I have typed all this and am not going to delete it.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Being raised as a spiritualist, I was taught from an early age, about claiming self responsibility.The thoughts that I think have a huge impact on how I behave in this world.How I behave impacts how the world treats me.Being self responsible will not allow me to feel like a victim.It makes me feel empowered.That early teaching has made my life to feel more in my control.
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I find this 'debate' fascinating, and Cindi, thank you for not deleting. Much in your post to think about. And I do know what you are saying, EvieLou, there just is an underside of it that does not sit well with me...anyways, I don't go to church so this thread is my theology for today, so thanks again!
                    Lila

Comment

Good points all, Lila, Cindi, and EvieLou!

I find that it is very helpful for me to be careful with my own thoughts, feelings, and impulses. On the one hand, they can become quite powerful in creating my moods and influencing my behavior, and if I refuse to allow myself to dwell on certain of my own mental/emotional processes, I am much better off. Thoughts about drinking are an important example. Another good example would be the whole realm of anger, resentments, etc.; dwell on such internal thoughts/feelings is a lot like pouring gasoline on a fire... nothing good comes of it!

On the other hand, I do NOT believe that if I think about the things and stuff of life that I might want to have (including such obviously non-selfish "things" like the health of loved ones), that the universe will manifest them to me... So, in that sense, I disagree with much of what "The Secret" teaches about the "power" of thoughts, hopes, wishes, etc.

wip

Comment

This book was given to me by a dear friend on my last birthday and inside the cover she wrote "I believe you are ready"....
                        it has taught me to be consious of my thoughts and I believe that in a round about way eventually led me to MWO and facing my addiction.
                        I used to blame alot of my anger/hurt/insecure etc feelings on other people and now I realise that I am in charge of my feelings ... I can't allow other people to have the power anymore.

This year she has given me "Ask and it is given" which I have yet to start but I am looking forward to.
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Yes, it can help so much with one's thoughts and approach to life...I have to now visualize myself reading and understanding all my college coursework! Any of you see the You Tube the Secret someone posted in the joke section? I loved it - I played it for my kids!

Comment

...but I do truly believe in miracles, I believe that I have Divine love and protection. I KNOW it....

Comment

I have listened to The Secret CD and watched the DVD many times. I have taken many valuable lessons from it. I am now listening to Jerry Hicks and Esther Hicks "Ask and It Is Given" and "The Law of Attraction" CDs. Also their teaching of Abraham. Again, I am taking from these which lessons I feel I need right now and, for me, there are many of them. I was raised to believe I had no control over what happened to my life. Basically, a victim. These CDs have taught me differently and have helped me tremendously. I believe in miracles, also, but don't depend on them!
                              Be
                              "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Working...
                              X