Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUN. 09/28- Day #13 What A Struggle!!

Hello To All!
    Made it yet through another day. It's been quite hard though. For the past two days I've really been wanting to drink. I spoke with an old friend of mine on the phone yesterday, who's been sober for 8 years. I asked her if she still craves it and she said, "Yes, sometimes. I don't crave the alcohol itself, just the escape." Two thoughts went through my head: 1) This is a great person to turn to when I feel like drinking and 2) What do you mean you still have cravings?!! Are you telling me this never gets easier?!! I'm struggling after 13 days and you're telling me that you still randomly crave it after 8 years? Where's the hope in that?!
    But I keep puttin' along. I'm hoping today will be less of a struggle than the past two days.
    When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

MMom,

Don't even worry about 8 years from now.

Just worry about today. New habits will take over. Odd thoughts now and again are easy to dismiss.

Hang in there.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Yes, MM
      I definitely have to keep it in the day. I was AF for 10 years before, except for one horrific night that I shared on the "you know you're an alcoholic...." thread. The desire to drink will come and go, but it gets weaker and weaker. It just becomes your "normal" life not to drink. I too want to escape sometimes, but I am finally learning to "cope" with some of the things that used to take me straight to the bottle. "Life on life's terms" will be tough sometimes, but it is always better when faced sober. I learned two acronyms in the past that help me when i want to run: Alcoholic thinking:FEAR-F--k everything and run. Sober thinking: FEAR-Face everything and Recover. I hope that this helps a bit.
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

MM,
        It does get better, but we never want to let our guard down because it is just those very moments we can talk ourselves into that drink. If we realize those thoughts will come and go and we're "ready" for them when they do arrive we will be able to throw them off successfully. It is just the Beast trying to weedle into our thoughts. I love Sea's acronyms and I will remember those in the future. Best wishes, MM...I hope today gets better for you.
        Krigs
        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

MM it does get so much easier. I think I said earlier that I rarely crave alcohol any longer just sometimes wanting to change my feelings. Even that gets less and less. Hang in there
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I also crave the "escape" more than the alcohol, which really tastes and smells quite nasty at this point. But I'm freaking out with the kids home today and catch myself hyperventilating. If I could just "chill" and reach a mellow point (without being tired), I'd be so happy. Any suggestions for something to get me there? Legal stuff, lol!
            You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

yes the crave is still there but it does get easyer .. it all in the change of habit and also in the way ou think and how you handle things ..that where it all changes .. stay strong and think positive and great job keep going you can do this
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

You are doing great M.Mum. It's such a tough call,but your are doing it. Casey

Comment

MM you are doing fine. Don't let craving, or the idea of craving, or fear of craving, get you too upset. "Craving" is just wanting something you cannot have. It's no big deal. It is uncomfortable, but no worse than many things in life, and it is guaranteed not only to show up sometimes... but also to go away, on its own, if we don't give in to it. If we turn it into a big dramatic thing, or if we believe we are its victims, then the fear itself or worry will increase the chances that we will respond by drinking.

wip

Comment

hi mom,she is rt it never stops,thts y they call it an addiction,im not being sarcastic,ive been doin this since the early 80 s,i had to rt this cause i no how u feel and dang it all,you desrve some imfo,ive been at meetings at AA for 10 years now ,off and on,it is not for all,we or i have a tendency always to do more, more and even more,again i am addicted to MORE,more drinking,more running,more sports of all kind and dang it all,even MORE work,somtimes even MORE here,i am trying to joke,think about it,this is a lot like AA,some have been in AA for 10 20 AND EVEN OVER 30 YEARS,vbutWITHOUT THE MEETING PLACES OF THERE TIMES,THEY WOULD OF DIED,NOW,ooooops ,sorry about the caps, we have other resources,we or i, have to find a happy medium,in my case ive found moderation,but even tho ive found it,i no i have an addiction to do MORE,also all around me no it to,so its not if you stop or moderate,its how you deal with the addiction, hope this helps gyco

Comment

Working...
                    X