October Abbercise challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all abbers far and wide...especially us wide ones. I am challenging all interested parties to a 4 days per week program. Here is the deal; you pick the activity, run, walk, skip rope, walk you dog, whatever. Just need to do something for 30 minutes, 4X a week.

12 ounce curls do not
    count.

Give a big shout out if you're interested!

omw
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

I am interested! I am almost 60 days and I need to get serious about the exercise, once and for all. Besides, I have a date with a friend to do a walk so that will be my first out of 4!!!
    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi All
      Count me in .Always great to talk about our exercise routine .I have found that I am worrying now about missing my workout the way i used to worry about getting my buzz.Great to have exercise cravings!

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08
      AF 5-16-08

Comment

Hi All
        Well it's the first of October and got in my workout on the tennis court with the pro this AM.Always feels great to be pushed mentally and physically.I try to play tennis 5 days a week ,great workout and helps me socialize with people living a healthy lifestyle.I have also joined a league to help with the lifestyle change needed to live a sober life.

AF 5-16-08
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Cay, the tennis sounds great. Fla weather does too. It was in the high 40's when I rode my bike this morning. My chest kinda hurts......from the cold I hope, otherwise I have what the kids do. UGH!

I was planning on a 3 to 4 mile run tonight while the kids are at soccer practice, IDK now.

Happy trails all,

omw
          Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Okay I'm in!! I've managed to get 3 days in at the gym this week. I like the idea of focusing on exercise, rather than the inability to drink.
            Today I went to the gym and worked out my arms, as well as a good run on the treadmill. It felt so good.
            OMW, how much running mileage do you average a week? Didn't you say you were training for a 1/2 marathon in December?
            When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Hi. My neuro has recommended I look into doing yoga. I don't live near any gyms or anything and was wondering if anyone has ever used a yoga DVD they would recommend?

I am 51 years old and in horrible shape but my neuro says yoga would be very good for my as yet undiagnosed condition. Either that or water aerobics. I need to start off very slowly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

btw, I would love to join this group. I could use the motivation.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I'm in. I've been walking almost every day but I could use the support. Cindi, I have a yoga DVD tape but I haven't ever looked at it. I will try to look at it this weekend and get back to you. I'm fighting a cold/sinus infection right now so not up to anything today.

Comment

Cindi,
                  This summer I bought the book, Yoga for Arthritis by Ellen Saltonstall, available from Amazon.com. She taught some classes in my small town this summer. However, I would strongly recommend that you take a few classes first. It is possible to injure yourself if you don't do this. Yoga is a wonderful fitness program.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Cindi,
                    Though I just joined this thread today, let me say, "Welcome!" I don't know the first thing about yoga, but I will suggest this: while you're looking, why don't you just do some light stretches at home to some soothing music. You can usually find some great "Soundscapes" CD's (even Target has some) to just relax to while your stretching. That would be a nice lil' start

Comment

Here's my program:
                      Swim 30 min Mon & Fri
                      Stretch & strengthen floor exercise 20 min Tues/Thurs
                      bike to work 20 min, plus 45 min bike around village perimeter 3x weekly as weather permits
                      Serious gardening: currently planting 65 large flower bulbs, 100 small ones. Today I spent 2.5 hours working on this.
                      I still want to work in some yoga stretches
                      All this, and I have not lost weight since I stopped drinking (3 mos.) and begain drinking moderately. I eat lost of fruits & vegs, no fast food. Grrrr!
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Good Morning Abbers!
                        I think after my first 30 days, I'm just going to post on here every day. I'm really excited to get back into a workout routine, and especially doing it AF. That's a first in YEARS!!! I really need to stay motivated and not let this be a phase. I found a FANTASTIC website yesterday (with info from another thread). If you sign up on Livestrong.com, they have a section called My Plate (or something like that). You can enter your daily food intake, as well as exercise and it keeps track for you, as well as sets goals and gives you what your daily average should be based on those goals. It's much easier than FitDay.com because they have more of a food selection when it comes to entering what you've eaten for the day. As always, I overate yesterday, but with such a good work out, my calories burned balanced it out. I'm really excited to go to the gym again today. :-)

Comment

Please count me in for exercise too. I'm now 6 months postop from my hysterectomy and aiming to get fit again. I'm trying to do at least 4 lots of exercise a week. Last week (Mon - Sun) I managed 2 runs, 1 bike ride and 2 swims. This week so far I've done one run and one swim. I've lost 9lbs in last 2 months (about 5 of these since I quit alcohol) but I still have about 19 lbs to go to get to my pre-pregnacy weight. Used to run marathons - have done 6 including London 3 x and New York (my favourite). Would love to do another one day but the most I' m managing to run so far is about 3.5 miles. Interestingly (Sunbeam) I too was most dissapointed that I didn't lose any weight in the early weeks of starting up my excercise regime, but think it was cos I was gaining muscle, losing fat, and of course muscle is heavier than fat. I did however notice myself toning up and clothes getting looser even though my weight at first didn't go down... Good luck everyone

Comment

[QUOTE=Cinders;428635]Hi. My neuro has recommended I look into doing yoga. I don't live near any gyms or anything and was wondering if anyone has ever used a yoga DVD they would recommend?

Cindi, I would look at a form of yoga called hatha. There are many types of yoga, some can be pretty vigorous. Hatha's focus is on stretching and breathing. It is a good form of gentle relaxation. Tai chi is another option. Tai chi is a series of slow motion body movements, focus is also on balance and it is gentle. I would enroll in a class to start with. The YMCA sometimes has classes. Also, the local health food store or co-op may be able to point you to a good teacher or class. My first instinct would be the health food store route.
                            I am sure there are some good recorded routines out there and that may be better suited to your traveling life. Again, I?d ask an instructor or a health foodie, I ask around too.

MM, I try for 25 miles a week, that doesn?t always happen. I will be increasing my miles soon though. I used to run a lot before my ?bad drinking piece?. I would like to make it more of a daily routine than something I make myself do, at this point I am merely training. I ran a marathon while pregnant a few years ago. I?m convinced continuing running while prego made it easier to be a 40yr old giving birth.

Nope, I didn?t get sick?stupid cold air. I am back on the bike today and I can?t wait!

I am thrilled to see so many abercisers. It is nice to have something positive to look forward to. It has made all the difference in my sobriety

On my way

Comment

Sausage, I have always wanted to run the NY marathon. To run all the bridges is a big draw for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X