Co-Dependent No More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Co-Dependent No More

There have been a lot of questions about Co-Dependents. Everyone seems to have a different definition. Probably because every situation is different and we are all different people.
    It took years for me to come to face to face with that term of co-dependent.
    I don't believe that my behavior drove my husband to drink more and more, but the horrible daily life we were living certainly was no help.
    Luckily a friend gave the Co-Dependent No More book. At first it seems just another self-help book, blah, blah, blah. But, the more I read the more I recognized myself and the horrific person I had become.
    The screaming, crying, yelling, punishing and nurtering was so evident. Day after day.. Like looking at yourself in a mirror.
    It took me 2 months to calm down and to practice the rules in the book. I still cry sometimes, but I hide now.
    Just walk away, walk away or go out or run to another room when the drinking is back.
    Starbucks became my best friend between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. I had some dinners alone and watched football alone, but at least there was no shouting in the house and the cat was not hiding under the table.
    It is very difficult to remove yourself from the immediate consequences of AL, but it is worth it in the long run. For all families out there dealing with an alcoholic, I know what you are going through and I also know there is a better way. We can fight AL side-by-side instead of opposites sides. It has been the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life, at almost 50 years old I can look back and see that.
    My loving husband is doing better and for the first time in a very long time (13 years) has made it through a full week. Should he slip and fall back I will be there, but this time quietly.

Co-Dependent No More

Hi waiting,

You might remember I've mentioned this book before. It has been like my bible in the past. Since I sobered up and hubby didn't, I've noticed my codependent personality coming out again. I had to dig pretty deep into a storage closet to find it, but I dusted it off and started reading it again, especially when I'm struggling. I have the sequel "Beyond Codependency" as well. Personally I think a lot of people living with addicts and the addicts themselves are "co-dependent". Although some don't appreciate the terminology.
    I appreciate the viewpoints you bring to this forum, btw.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Co-Dependent No More

Am very new here but this sruck a chord with me. I heard myself say to an alcohol councillor I saw last week that my daughter seemed like an alcoholic long before she ever took to the drink. I know in my heart that we have an unhealthy codependant relationship.The trouble ( resentment) between us started when I was trying to rectify the situation. It's so hard to go through untying the knots but be kind to yourself, it creeps up on us and it's not till things are often so bad that we realise but at least we have realised. My alcoholic mother died at 56 yrs old still blissfully unaware

Comment

Co-Dependent No More

thnx OUT,your story is mind boggling,and im gald you wrote it, and this one,you seem to have found an easier way to cope then earlier,i live with a lady that is not of AL nature,tho she drinks every day,1 0r 3,depends on waht has hapened in her day,i hope your husband wakes to reality,and i am sorry for your pain gyco,

Comment

Working...
        X