Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going on holiday - worried I'll drink alcohol!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now on day 40 AF - sounds like i've broken the back of it, so to speak. I'm certainly finding it a lot easier staying AF on a normal evening and when I go out. Went out last night with friends and co-workers for someone's leaving meal and had a great time, no alcohol drunk and didn't even notice!!

However have just booked a family holiday - lastminute deal for 2 weeks time. Going to Spain. REally looking forward to it as haven't had a propper holiday in ages - had to cancel what we'd booked earlier this year because of my hysterectomy.

I'm so looking forward to this break , but I'm getting really scared. I just can't imagine not having a nice glass of wine in the evening when i'm away. I've come this far, it would be a shame to ruin it now but I can't imagine going away, particularly somewhere nice and sunny (hopefully!) certainly bound to be better weather the the awful summer we've had here in UK. Is this normal?!? Some of my best alcohol memories are of drinks when out on holiday and I think this is why i'm having problems. Please help me - don't know what to do. Am really tempted to drink whilst away - but I know it's wrong I cant' moderate - it will all go wrong I just know it... but away from home in a different holiday routine, i'm sure the temptation will be greater

Hi Sausage. I felt exactly the same way as you when I went away about 4 weeks ago. My holidays always revolved around drink. I was terrified that a) I would drink and b) if i didnt I would be miserable.....so i did what you did and asked here for advice.
    Print out some inspiring posts to take with you...
    Keep a diary.....
    Keep a note of why you gave up drinking in the first place
    Excercise....
    I read 7 books while I was away all about addiction and recovery...that really helped keep me focused.

Result - I had the best holiday I think I have EVER had. Yes it was different, but good different, in fact it was GREAT different )

Yours will be too I am sure
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Sausage, remember the posts about how to plan for going out to an occasion where people will be drinking, and remaining AF? Re-read those posts. I think they were on the BoozeBusters thread. Rob had an especially good one; look up her posts, back from when you were just starting out.

This vacation is the same thing, only in extended form. And also: you will have a much better chance of succeeding if you carefully observe and manage the positive daydreams and fantasies that your brain is already cooking up about how nice it would be to be having a glass of wine in sunny Spain!

wip

Comment

the temptation is always there just knowing what you want should hold you together .. and you have come so far to turn back now.. so you need to ask yourself what you want to feel and what you what you want to remember on the holiday.. the good time with family and friend or what the hell did i do honey last nite .. good luck only you can make that choice.. stay strong and think positive
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Does your family know about the drinking. maybe they can help you while you are on vacation? they can watch out for you? Just a thought

Comment

hi sauce,youll do fine and the feelings your havin are quite normal,i started to mod after 10 months of sobriety,im not saying ,to have a drink,cause tht is up to you,i also found being round my family,did not help,do you leave them,no,you lern how to adapt to the situation,and if it gets to bad,go find somthin else to do,thts what i did,but even tho,youll always wonder if you can,sobriety is not easy,do you avoid all situations,you mite as well crawl in a hole and hide,life goes on even after we try to stop,i sure hope this helps,gyco

Comment

I mentioned the family because I found when I am out with my husband and the waiter comes to the table with that fearing question "what do you want to drink" I jump in first and order a sparkling water for him and a still wate for me. It is sort of a message, I am here to help you. with love.

Comment

Sausage, that's a hard one. But I think our good pal O2M had some very valid points. If I were going to Spain, I would be having the exact same struggle that you are. And isn't that sad? Non-drinkers would be looking forward to all the sights they could see, the relaxing time away, and the memories they are creating. Us alcoholics? We're worried about how we can enjoy ourselves without the booze. I know from my European vacation days (pre-children!!!), I would have explored a lot more had it not been for the hangovers. I spent more time looking for the next place to drink rather than the next monument or special attraction. Just take each day at a time. Instead of focusing on the struggle to not drink, focus on what a great vacation you are going to have. Let each day play itself up and stop beating yourself up!! Don't let the negative "what-if" thoughts ruin your vacation before it even begins.
                When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Beautiful post, OneTwo!

And very good points, MM!

It's one of those very clear signals from the universe: if the alcohol matters that much to me... then drinking it would be a great, big, sad mistake.

wip

Comment

Beautiful post, OneTwo!

And very good points, MM!

It's one of those very clear signals from the universe: if the alcohol matters that much to me... then drinking it would be a great, big, sad mistake.

wip

Comment

durn connection, double posting, can't make it delete.... sorry y'all!

Comment

Sausage: I've gone on 2 AF vacations: Italy & Ireland. In Ireland (last year) there was even a whiskey tour complete w/tastings afterwards. I found it fine to be AF. I was able to have a better time. In the case of the whiskey tour in Ireland, I was one of the very few people who stayed awake in the PM after the tour. Good luck. Mary

PS: I know (for me) that I just CANNOT have just a glass or 2 of wine in the evening. It's not possible.
                        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Sausage, you've had some great advice here, the only thing I can add is something I have passed on to a few people here and that is to get a piece of cardboard and write on it the number of AF days you have just before you go on holiday. Now, if you are tempted to have even one glass of wine, before you order it take that piece of card out of your bag and look at it, that is the price you will have to pay for that glass of wine, ask yourself if the price is too high, you'll probably find it is.

Have a great holiday.
                          A F F L..
                          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

One positive thing: You won't know anyone so, apart from your travel companions, no-one will blink an eye when you order a non-alcoholic drink. No pressure for an explanation as to what's changed, no hassling you to have 'just one' with them etc - no-one will care! I find peer pressure from girlfriends the worst - they get so defensive when someone doesn't drink. Have a great holiday - one you'll always remember!

Comment

hey there sausage

glad 2 hear you'll soon be bathed in sunshine!
                              your concerns are understandable. You're doing so well & you want that 2 continue.
                              How about writing a kind of 'future journal'? Describe how a great day away could be, from waking up with a smile & your memory intact, to the food, laughter, arguments (ha!), sights, sounds..."

I'd also print off O2Ms reply & carry it everywhere with me
                              Good luck & ENJOY!!!

Gold
                              :sun:

Comment

Working...
                              X