checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checking in

Gonna just keep checking in even if it's only weekly.
    In the hopes of keeping myself on track.
    I am still doing fine, as I hope are others!
    I made a list of everything I needed to do yesterday and... not once... was I bored!
    Today I'll be in the garden. I still need to get the hibiscus in the ground.
    I do think about wine for time to time. But now it seems an utter waste of time.
    I am so tired w/work I have no idea how I managed to survive in the past w/such poor sleep!
    It's all good. I don't feel deprived by not drinking either. I do need to work on this social anxiety though. We have quite a few events coming up that I will need to attend. It seems if I have a job at a social event things go easier for me. I also learned not to tell people about this anxiety of mine. When I hear about it later it sounds so LAME! Puts me in the freak category really. I am not a freak.

checking in

Hi 1967, good to hear from you again and even better to hear that you are doing so well!
    I agree with you about not telling people about the social anxiety thing. Some things are easier to work with more privately. Practising small talk helps me. Oh yes and deep breathing......and imagining people without there clothes on!!! Not being pervy but it just makes me realise we are all the same really.
    Thanks for posting, posts like your always inspire me.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

checking in

thanks!

now that i can think clearly i am starting to realize something about the social anxiety problem.
      a good part of it for me is about me needing to be alone.
      i need a lot of quiet time to be able to cope. i am very easily over stimulated and then get freaked out.
      i realize that the anxiety isn't about others, it's entirely about me.
      i can be a real little brat. if I don't want to do something, like going to some work party i feel is a complete waste of time, there is no way things are going to go well. the other big hurtle is the small talk. i have no clue what to say, so far too often i just say nothing. i know that MUST seem weird. she goes to a party and doesn't talk to anyone. oh well, so sue me!
      i have to try to look at things from a different perspective and convince myself it is worth it to make new friends.
      i guess?

Comment

checking in

You sound like you are doing wonderfully. I think the longer you are AF the better you will feel about the social events.

Comment

checking in

Bravo on your progress! I'm with Time on the social thing....I think you will find more comfort in those situations as you develop YOURSELF alcohol free. You may feel less like being alone as time goes by. I wish you all the best in your journey....you've got a great start! Check in with us as often as you can.
          Kriger
          "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

checking in

I am learning to enjoy social situations sober. It wasn't easy at first, but I'm getting more & more used to it. I find that once I get past the first few minutes while everyone is getting his/her wine or cocktail, I'm fine. After that you can wave a bottle under my nose, & I wouldn't cave in. I have some events coming up that involves wine. I'm taking it one day at a time & not stressing about it.

Mary
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

checking in

g afternoon... I think it would be fantastic if you are right about just needing time and the social anxiety will come along on it's own. I am TOTALLY open to this idea!
              i keep a journal so it will be easy for me to note how things are progressing with the passage of time.
              i will have an event to attend on November 22nd and then another on my birthday, 12/12.
              let's see if the december event goes easier than november for starters.
              i also think that lack of sleep makes things worse. a nap before should certainly help if and when possible. i almost think i should just avoid socializing after work when tired. i know i would drink more when tired hoping it would help me to rally. anyhow, enough said. thanks!

Comment

checking in

mary, the best thing about not drinking for me is when i first wake in the morning. i wake and am still relieved... ah, no hangover! then comes the fact that my entire day will not be spent trying to feel better.
                it's such a great relief!

Comment

checking in

I use sleep and naps the way I used to use alcohol. Just to shut down and repair for a while.I always feel better too. I went to an evening out about 3 weeks ago with colleagues. I would always have had loads to drinki on these occasions. I was scared at first but I actually enjoyed it in the end. A lovely friend from here texted me throughout and I didnt stay so long that I was over tired. And I remember everything I said and did. Result!!!!

Comment

checking in

Everyone: I just came back from an evening at our next door neighbor's home. Besides us, there was another couple. There was a lovely bottle wine & a bottle of champagne, as well as beer. Everyone (but me) drank about 2 drinks in the 3 & a half hours that we were there. I drank soda water & was fine w/that. Yes, I felt a twinge...especially when I saw those dewy bottles of wine & champagne. But, I didn't really feel all that tempted, & once everyone had their drinks poured, & I was sipping the soda water, I was fine. The best part:
                    -no obssessing about when I could pour myself more.
                    -no drinking afterwards to top the whole evening off.

The more I'm w/normal drinkers, the more I realize I can't do it.

Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

checking in

me either on the the moderation idea.
                      works for a little while, then not at all.
                      thinking clearly far over rules a clear head.

it's all good. let's just keep at it.

Comment

checking in

opps... am a little sleepy still.

"thinking clearly far over rules a buzz."
                        yeah... that's it!

Comment

checking in

Glad you put us right on that 1967. Sounded like you had given up for a minute :-)

Comment

checking in

hi 67 no one said is was to be easy,it is not,i will join you tomorrow,i havent been on a blitz or nothin,found modding.funny, i can say i dont no if i like it,i guess thts what i had to find out,im here for you gyco

Comment

checking in

I like that: Clear thinking far overules a buzz. It was the buzz I was always after, & that is very, very temporary. Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X