Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Hello all
    I am going to start us off today although you are probably all still asleep. This could be the last time you hear from me though as tomorrow I am flying to Great Barrier Island a little island off the coast of NZ in what is effectively a very old tin can. I hate flying at the best of times - and that is first class in a 747. NAAAT as borat would say. The last time I went I pulled my jumper over my head so I couldnt see anything and just kept repeating loudly we are all going to die - we are all going to die - for the whole 30 minutes flight and almost broke my SIL's hand as I squeezed it so tight. She warned me today that I wasnt to do that again. The last time I went which was this time last year I smoked and drank like a fish (do fish smoke?) but this is the new reformed me so will be much more enjoyable once I get there. So I hope I will talk to you all again in a few days but if not you will know that I am resting peacefully in a tin can on the bottom of the pacific ocean and at least I will have died a non smoker and the very model of a very moderate drinker.
    BH

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

It will be fine. As a long time frequent flier let me assure you: The tin things can't really fly.

God holds them up with magic wires. And He's not going to ruin His day by letting one fall down.

It will take off, go bumpety bump through the air, and land, just as it has every day for the last 10 years, and as it will do for the next 10 years. Statistically speaking you are in greater danger going to the bathroom in your own home than taking an airplane flight.

And, since that won't help a bit, try a Dramamine pill (which zones you out), or Valerian, or that pink cold pill, I forget the name. In fact just about any nasal decongestant that warns of "drowsiness" is perfect to calm your nerves for an airplane flight. When on the plane sit square in the seat, with both your feet flat to the floor and both arms on the armrests if you can. Breath slowly. This "square" position is the most secure for bumps, and lets you stay attentive to being calm and trusting of the "magic wires".

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Thanks Mr Boss (Naaat)
      Arms rests? hmmm not sure there were any. There was a kind of strap to hold onto I think...but the sheep and chickens kept getting in the way....
      I havent got any pills either and if i take an anti-histamine I will sleep all day and we are supposed to be doing a hike of some kind that day. My SIL did say I (and she) might be better off if i was hungover as then i wouldnt care if I died! Thanks for caring.
      BH

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Morning BH and Bossman! I'll be flying in a few weeks too, taking the MIL to Fuerteventura - she's insisting she needs to have a drink before she gets on the plane. Flight is around 8.00am in the morning. The only thing is that will be a great temptation for me to drink.
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Morning Squad!

Yip I did like the name Mod Squad... it rolls off the tounge easily.

BH, your trip sounds like an exciting adventure, I can't wait for you to get back and give us all your news. Boss had some great advice, I hope the flight goes smoothly and I know you'll get there in one piece. Have a fantastic time, I'll miss you.

Vladster, where is Fuertaventura, it sounds very exotic?

Nothing too exciting to report, busy getting hubby ready for his trip overseas and getting my mind strong so that I don't make a mess of it again while he's gone. I had one long bender from the time he left to the time he arrived home - in fact I was still trashed when I had to pick him up from the airport because he arrived home a day early. I have a morbid fear of screwing up whilst he's away!!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic Tuesday!
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

I like Mod Squad too!

You won't screw up Deebs, I know you won't. Well actually I'm worried about screwing up in Fuerteventura (in the Canary Isles by the way) - think we all are when we know there are going to be plenty of triggers.

Especially when your MIL who is going with you is AL! Admittedly lately she has been trying to cut down at least.
            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

hi gang couldnt leave for work without saying hi,you are all doing incredibly well modding,keep up the good work youll be fine,im moving into stopping again for ever long as it mt end up,but i will come and listen to your progress from day to day gyco

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Thanks Gyco!

Going to do another half hour brisk walk today - think people think I'm mad in the office.

Oh yeah, I've arranged a Russian evening at my house with 2 friends (one Russian speaking). We are going to make some borsch together and watch a Russian film... AND NO VODKA! Hope the borsch turns out OK, I've made it twice and each time it was отвратительный.

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Whoo-ooh, cyrillic text worked.

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Good Morning, group:

Vlad, I think we both sing with church groups. I also sing in a large community chorus connected with a local college. This fall we are rehearsing Alexander Nevsky. I haven't seen the movie yet, but we will be renting it soon. We have a woman working with our group on the Russian pronunciations. A couple of songs are in Latin, but most are in Russian.

DeeBee, my husband's presence definitely provides a moderating influence for me. Of all the bad things in my past associated with alcohol abuse, I am most happy to not be lying to my husband any more. I have never lied to him about anything, but hiding all those bottles was certainly a big lie. So I understand, and we will all be here to support you.

Ducky, I have more questions about food and thyroid, but I gotta get ready for work.

Enjoy the day, all!
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Hello Mod Squad,

Deebs you will do fine, you are a tough cookie who has made a decision and will stick to it. I am sure of that....
                      Same for you too Vladders. If you prepared, that is some of the battle won, you know your triggers and they wont jump up unawares.

BH I am very jealous of your trup it sounds amazing....see you soon...listen t BossMan he has it sussed.

Hi Sunbeam! I am at work too...sadly

Vlad I made borsch once many moons ago....was nice
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Hi Starts & O2M!

Sunbeam - our church group is small and consists of 2 sops, 2 altos (I'm one of them), 3 tenors, 1 bass, a pianist, a balalaikist (me as well) and a flautist. We also use other instruments like the tambourine, triangle, sticks and dumbek. We are quite odd and have a Jewish feel. We are called Shalom.

My husband has a moderating influence for me also. I always thought of myself as someone who shared everything with my husband. When I realised I was lieing to him by hiding my drink problem, I felt quite ashamed. When I finally came clean, I asked him through the tears if he'd noticed that I'd become alcoholic. He said he had but thought it was quite funny!?!!! It was a serious health issue, what was he thinking???

Was gonna say I could answer questions regarding thyroid issues, but then I expect my problem is the opposite to what is being discussed.

I'm a little shaky today. What's that about? Been like it since this morning, completely bizarre, I did have 2 drinks last night which wouldn't usually present a problem. Could be something to do with the above but I hope not! I've had breakfast and lunch too - so it's not the fact I haven't eaten. Weird.

Oh and I've done my walk by the way. A dog jumped up at me though and got its muddy paw prints all over my trousers.

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Gyco, good on you for recognising when you need to go AF.... we are all rooting for you!

Sun, my hubby has been such a staunch supporter of my AF journey that it feels a bit like one of my crutches are been returned to the hiring company..... thank gawd I still have my other crutch... you guys! I will stay strong but I am feeling a little jittery. ( thanks Starting & Vlads for the vote of confidence, I will be going to bed with my laptop right beside me every night, you know, just in case)

Vladster, what is up with feeling shaky today? Maybe something sugary will help? ooooh Canary Isles sounds bliss. I'm please to hear MIL is trying to cut back, should make it easier on you to stick to your goals.

Do tell this ignoromanius one what is borsch?

Ducky how are you doing today?

Hide-ho O2m, I miss you!
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Borsch is beetroot soup. Actually the main ingredients in Russian borsch always seem to be predominantly cabbage as the beetroot boils completely away. It also has potatoes, onions, tomatoes and coriander in.

Comment

Tues 14/10 Mod Squad

Yes, where is Ducky today?

Anyway, better get on with my chart for the explosives company.

Comment

Working...
                              X