Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom from Addiction - Chopra

Has anyone read this?

The newly released book Freedom from Addiction outlines the powerful method developed by Chopra Center co-founder and medical director David Simon, and personal growth expert Deepak Chopra. Unlike other recovery methods, Freedom from Addiction starts from the belief that people aren?t powerless in the face of addiction ? in fact, each of us has free will and the ability to replace life-damaging choices with life-affirming ones.

By integrating the best in modern Western medicine with the timeless traditions of the East, Drs. Simon and Chopra have designed a unique seven-step program that will help you uncover the true cause of your addiction and end it for good.

In Freedom from Addiction, you will discover how to:

Recognize the purpose your habit serves and how to fill the void
    Identify triggers and avoid relapse
    Deal with stress in ways that provide lasting relief ? not a temporary high
    Counter stress through meditation
    Choose foods and supplements that will detoxify your body and curb cravings
    Connect to your life?s true purpose and passion
    By following the path that has helped thousands transform their lives, you, too, can achieve lasting freedom from addiction. Attached files [img]/converted_files/25337=4205-attachment.jpg[/img]
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Deepak is soooo wonderful.I met him 20 plus years ago, when his kids were small and he had just started on the Metaphysical show circuit.His English was very poor, heck...it's still not great(even after speak trainers helped him) but his books are clear,to the point and filled with wishdom...Alkies should read this book...
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Wow, Evie! That must've been an amazing experience!

I have only started reading his books and I subcribe to his newsletter which featured this book.

I'll definetly get it the next time I'm at the book shop.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

He is a wonderful man.I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE his CD...(A gift of Love1). Not as fond of volume2..He gave me a copy when it was first released and I cherish it.I have played it at Weddings that I have preformed and people love it too.It is the Sufi Poet RUMI...read to beautiful music...Maybe U Tube has a sneak peak...
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Great idea! I'm on YouTube now so I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

Hey Deebs -

If you read this I would be very interested in your impressions. I'm sure Chopra has a very valid view on the subject. I want crib notes!!!

ww xox

Comment

lol WW!

I am looking forward to getting it now.... going to peruse the shops today, will keep you posted.

Comment

that sounds like a good book, makes sense. Maybe I will get it. He has not lived it, though, has he?

Comment

Sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion. I bought it and will let you know what I think.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dee, and keep us posted.
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Oh, I am interested as well, thank you, D.

I believe his insight is beyond his time and anything that would help is welcomed on this level of intelligence.

Thanks and I will also be looking into this.

I hope someone is helped, if not many.
                      :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

nancy;445327 wrote: Sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion. I bought it and will let you know what I think.
                        Nancy and DB, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts. I bought one of his other recent books, a while back, and was disappointed. And I question his experience and/or expertise in this area... But I like what I saw of the outline that DB first posted...

wip

Comment

Damn, I can't find the book in the local bookstore! I mentioned it to my best friend at lunch today and YAY!! she has a copy in a box somewhere which she'll lend me.

Comment

I have it on hold at the library and will let you know what I think of it. Thanks for the tip Dee Bee.
                            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Review of book

Well this is a really fast read!

It's interesting in that it addresses all addictions. I think it makes a lot of valid points. I am going to try to be more regular about meditation. Also, the book features some good questions for reflection, self-analysis.

I guess the premise is that we seek relief from life's stresses and emotional pain through drugs including alcohol, but then the problems become worse when the drugs wear off. We never learn how to become balanced and peaceful in ourselves, without external sources.

Most chemicals that influence mood act by minicking natural messenger molecules in the brain. Abiding by the law of conservation of energy, when the brain receives an external chemical, which mimics what it normally manufactures, it reduces production. The brain is left without an inner or outer source, creating symptoms that are the opposite effect of the drug.... The debt is often equal or greater than the desired effect.

The second related problem with using drugs to modulate feelings is that your inner state becomes dependent upon something external. Even if the drug or behavior has minimal side effects, the dependency upon an outer source for inner comfort leaves one feeling vulnerable. More of a person's emotional and psychological resources are consumed to ensure a steady supply of the distress-relieving substance and anxiety arises if the outer source is not available.

Looks like they advocate a holistic approach to healing, through good nutrition, detoxification, yoga and meditation. Nothing new here really but as I wrote above, I am going to take meditation more seriously now.

The book also offers a Buddhist interpretation of the AA 12 steps. The interpretations
                              are interesting. But why refer to 12 steps at all? Reading the steps again made me realize how AA focused on correcting defects of character.

To Work in Progress, you are way past this book. I doubt it will give you anything new. Maybe it would help some of your clients. I gained something from it, but not sure it was worth the price. Would love to visit the Chopra Center though, sounds fabulous!

Comment

Working...
                              X