Oct 24 friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct 24 friday

Wow, a wild day yesterday? Meetings and training sessions are always a fun respite but I like home better! I have no plans for the day, think mini man and I will hit the library, get a pile of books, hunker down in a big chair and read together.
    I look forward to spending the weekend with my family. It?s so nice to focus on them and not my next glass of wine?..or where I misplaced my wine glass,?duh!?

I am trying not to become complacent. It seems like just when I have peacefulness within, the beast shows up. Maybe I?ll tell em he?s not invited.
    We have a few social events this weekend but do not think any of them will involve al. I?m not worried but will be on guard!

Have a wonderful day all!

omw
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Oct 24 friday

Aloha Friday AB-land!

OMW, good idea not to invite that cruel beastie. Good for not being complacent...and keep your guard up. Not to be paranoid, but to be ever vigilant.

I'm off on the road today and be home tomorrow night. A bit early for clear thought. d-oh!

enjoy your "power of now" everyone and be well
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Hi everyone-
      Still doin' great on the AF. Glad to see DET and OMW up so early. I'm up on this a.m. getting ready to go get my first ever mamogram. Being that it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I decided at age 38, it was time. I feel so "pro-active" going to this appointment. I hope all you women out there, if you haven't already done one, to pop on that phone and make an appointment. That's enough for my soap box today. Everyone have a BEAUTIFUL day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Hi Everyone:

I too have had problems w/complacency. It tends to push me into the type of thinking ("I can now have just one" or "I'm not so bad") that causes a relapse.

We're having folks over for dinner, & there is a sweating bottle of white wine in the fridge. Nobody drinks too much (except me), so it's natural to serve it. I want to be able to serve wine at a dinner & not drink before, during, or after. I've done it before, & I'll do it today.

Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Oct 24 friday

MM. hope the scan thingy goes well. i'm a bloke, so i don't completely understand, but would like to say that i am inspired, educated, humbled by all your post's folk's.. so, thanks..... G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Hi All
            I was on the AF army tread and saw myself in a post in regards to what to do tonight.It really is a party tomorrow night that I was wavering on.I know I have choices for tomorrow and the party would be the riskiest.I told my wife yesterday we weren't going but then this morning was thinking we should go it is a friends 50 birthday party.Now after reading the other tread it is a so obvious that I shouldn't go and i won't.It is selfish on my part but I am not going to risk my sobriety .That is the most important thing in my life.It allows everything else to be so good.I feel I am strong and not missing drinking but also know this is my old drinking group and out of any situation I could place myself in this could be the worst.I don't feel like I am missing anything just felt I should be their to celebrate the occasion bbuuutttt could this be me fooling myself.Well will never know won't give al the opportunity .Will explain to my friend when I see her.She will understand .

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08
            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Caysea Good for you for recognizing that the situation would be tough on you. Have you considered alternatives, like possibly showing up as one of the first guests and use an excuse for not being able to stay long. Put yourself on a time limit. This will at least give you the opportunity to show your friend support in her 50th birthday, but yet not be there long enough to kick in your cravings. And if that would be too much on you, then stick with not going at all!! That's a big decision and a wise one to know your boundaries.
              Mary that is so awesome that you can have a bottle of wine in your fridge and not be tempted. WOW! You have a lot of self control. I can't have anything in my house without it SCREAMING my name out. Good for you.
              Got the "mammie" done. Everything looked great and it's not as scarey as some women make it out to be.
              Chat w/ ya'll later :-)
              When life is more than you can stand...kneel.

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Wow, Caysea - you really hit the heart of the matter for me with the holiday season coming up. I am nervous but - you are right - if they are your friends they will understand. There is always so much pressure to drink at parties - why is that? It's like everyone wants everyone else to be as drunk as they are. I remember a year ago I was at a friends house for thanksgiving and one of the other guest - a mutual friend made a big scene that I was trying not to drink, it was really embarrasing and I gave in ( she literally poured me a glass of wine and laughed and pointed till i took a drink- everyone was so drunk they thought it was funny but really - it was sad- AND yes these are grown professional adults - late 30's and 40's). Lets all remember as we start going out for the holidays - we need to make good decisions for ourselves - and no one else.

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Hi Caysea.. I think MM. has a good point... Go to the party, just don't stay long... even half an hour. get yourself an exit plan, and i'm presuming close friends know about your situation?...if not... you'll need to be a bit more inventive... but show up anyway, and have an exit plan ... worked for me in the past, and true friends understand... G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Supersunny, welcome! great place to hang out here.

Caysea, it's great to see you treasuring your sobriety this much. all i can say is: do what works! and you know yourself best.

I was at an after-tradeshow party (notorious bashes that they are) about 3 weeks ago and the pressure to drink was immense. I even had someone say it was "gay" for me not to drink. ??? WTF?
                    I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. oh well, they were all wasted and it showed. the next day I was at the show bright and early...they didn't look so hot. sweaty, dark circles around the eyes etc.

Mary, you don't sound complacent to me. you sound strong and inspired. enjoy your dinner
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Wow, team. Sorry I am so late checking in. Likely no one to read it. :-)

But, I did want to say "hi" and let everyone know I am doing absolutely wonderful.

I spent a long morning of work, a long lunch with my daughter. I had a horrible phone conversation with my manager about another peer in my group who is unable to do the work. I had to do it but it wasn't welcomed. grr.

Oh well. The client has complained about her, my other colleagues have complained about her and now I had to state that she is unable to do this account. It is that simple. The stress (I have never had to do something like this before) was really rough on me but the thought of drinking never occurred. YAY.

It is only right now, reading MWO that I realized it.

BTW, Mary, Caysea, and all you other wonder people, you are all sounding very good, very wise about what we have to do and I am glad you are here with me. It helps a lot!!

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Oct 24 friday

Cindi, I here ya and understand...gerrrrr, n
                        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Oct 24 friday

now this is a good sign Cindi:
                          The stress (I have never had to do something like this before) was really rough on me but the thought of drinking never occurred. YAY.

nice!
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                          X