Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun. - Oct. 26 - Daily Thread

Hi Everyone:

I hope all is well. On another thread, there was mention of the holiday season w/all its temptations. We too have a lot of plans, & I will probably be here at MWO a lot. That seems to be my best antidote to the drinking. I also have to remember that after the first few moments of people arriving & getting their first drinks, the temptation wanes considerably for me.

Any suggestions as to how to cope w/the holidays would be welcomed by me &/or any newbies that might be reading.

Also, if you've had some troubles lately & think you should stay away, please don't. We'd love to see you back here.

Love, Mary

PS: I'm set up to take PM's here at MWO. Feel free
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Good drinking alternative that I read about: Cranberry or grape juice in a wine glass. Delicious & non-AL. Mary
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Morning
      I am not that creative, so I stick to my flavored seltzer waters....I was never one for sweet drinks, I was a "straight out of the bottle" kinda girl, not wine, but the hard stuff...pretty hard to recreate that taste....
      Hangin around in my flannel jammies, this a.m., just kinda putzing around. Love my jammies!!!.....My entire life I have always slept in a short, sleeveless, flimsy nitegown..no matter the season. Being a nightime drinker, bedtime was always spent tossing turning, snoring and sweating. Hubby would say my skin was like it is on fire.....This is the first time in my adult life I am actually cold at night, thus I have purchased my first pair of flannels.....nice and toasty warm.....Hubby not exactly thrilled with the look, but I would much rather be "covered" and warm, than "cutsie" sweating and drunk....
      Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend.....
      sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

One2Many:

Thank you so much for your post. I'm going to save it & reread it often. I also put that link into my favorites. I can't thank you enough. Mary
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Morning all or guess it is afternoon now. Been busy and I'm battling a cold too, big fun.

Have plans to attend a classical concert this afternoon with my girls, hope my nose clears out by then because I have been looking forward to this outing.

Good thread crew, I will certainly need some help navigating through the holiday season, we can all help each other Personally the season makes me a bit nervous.

Hope you all enjoy the day, sun is shining here, hope it is at your house too!! n
          Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

top of the Sunday ABland!!!

wow One2, loads of great info there. I'm confused why they say not to go near the AF beer? it's been helpful to me during my struggle as an alternative drink that's not too sweet.

Mary, some fruit juice is great although I usually decline to do that around my friends because if it looks like wine in my glass they will probably top it off when the bottle goes around and i may not be looking. eeeeeek!

I managed to do Xmas last year AF even going to a formal dinner at friends house that are big drinkers. That early in my AF days it was a challenge but I lived! I'm so glad that this gets easier in time. and my dear Dx is happy for me too, she hated to see me struggle and white-knuckle my way through social events.

well it's great to be home and I'm not leaving the house. I'm with Charlee, I'm wearing my pj's today!

be well friends
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Deter:

I think you should do what's right for you. I think that AA frowns on non-AL beer, because of the reminder & closeness to the real drinking days. I, for one, need reminders...I forget all too quickly how bad the drinking was. You'd have to ask on the AA website for a real answer as to why non-AL beer drinking is discouraged.

Again, thanks for the responses. I'm sure we'll revisit this topic many times between now & the new year. BTW, I was AF during the 07 holiday season & was all the better for it. It was only after I let down my guard (sometime in March) that I had a relapse. Go figure!

Mary
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi All
                Great day here.Det beer being my downfall I tried AF beer in other attempts to stop drinking.The thing I found was that it continued the habit of always having a beer in my hand .The same feel the same pace of drinking. I don't think it was helpful to me.Brought me to close to the real thing .I think others sub it fine but this time I am not using that tool .I don't drink soda or water with the same mind set which is part of what I am trying to retrain. i don't have a 12 pack of soda at a party but would find myself drinking more than a 6 pack of AF beer . Thats just me .Any way i am working on retraining my elbow LOL .
                Hey everyone do something fun today you earned it .

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08
                Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08

Comment

Wow, Thanks O2M!! That was great.

Everyone, I am so looking forward to a completely AF 08 Holiday Season. It means, one, I will remember the entire dinner, and two, I will enjoy the whole time. I will not wake up sick and unable to enjoy my family and friends.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                  X