Living With the Devil, by Stephen Batchelor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a book I am enjoying immensely. Batchelor wrote an earlier book called Buddhism Without Beliefs, in which he sets out the non-religious, or secular, aspects of Buddhist psychology. This more recent book looks specifically at what is probably the major problem of human existence: the "problem of evil" and especially the awareness that we humans have, that we are often the authors of our own destruction. Those of us who struggle with addiction or alcohol dependence are perhaps more acutely aware of this problem, than most other people.

In this newer book, Living With the Devil
    , Batchelor points out the somewhat surprising commonalities between Buddhist and Judeo-Christian (and Islamic) thought about evil, as mythologized or personified in a demonic figure. Buddhists call the demonic figure "Mara." Mara is the one who came to the Buddha, on the eve of his enlightenment, and tried to entice him from his path. On each occasion, the Buddha recognized what was happening and simply said: "Mara, I see you," and that was all that was needed for Mara to disappear... for a while, anyway.

(Of course, there are obvious parallels between the way that the Buddha was tempted by Mara, and the way that Jesus was tempted by the devil, some 500 years later...)

Within contemporary cognitive-behavioral theory, we have an approach similar to the Buddha's: we teach ourselves to be acute and compassionate observers of our own thoughts, feelings, and impulses. Often, when we take this "observational" stance, the impulses and desires that previously felt so compelling can be endured, withstood, and they will fade away.

Here are a couple of brief excerpts from this book:
    "Gotama's [the Buddha's] struggle with Mara and Jesus' with Satan point to a common awareness that to be fully human entails coming to terms with a diabolical power that seems to stand in the way of our realizing meaning, truth, and freedom.... The devil is the contradictoriness of our nature. As soon as we make a foolhardy commitment to 'enlightenment' or 'salvation,' we start being torn apart by diabolic forces we only dimly understand and can scarcely control. For when we choose to follow a path that Buddha described as 'going against the stream,' we choose to confront those fears and desires that hiterhto we had either repressed or acted out."

so, wip, to translate, when I have a moment, of say shame (I had some abuse issues in my childhood) when that moment happens, I just say...oh, hi shame, how are you? I just hate it when shame creeps around. Or when I want a drink..? what do you think? How do you put this to use?

Comment

Exactly right, Lila. The idea is that we learn to take a healthy step back away from the distressing and/or destructive thoughts, emotions, impulses. When we do that, they become much less powerful. Essentially, we are refusing to build them up, refusing to elaborate upon them or ruminate on them. This step of observing them (compassionately) gives us the space we need to exercise the freedom to look elsewhere, to detach, and move on.

Here's one of my all-time favorite poems:

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
      Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
      some momentary awareness comes
      as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
      Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
      who violently sweep your house
      empty of its furniture,
      still, treat each guest honorably.
      He may be clearing you out
      for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
      meet them at the door laughing,
      and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
      because each has been sent
      as a guide from beyond.

~ Rumi ~

Comment

I love Rumi, too! I used to have abook of his poems but lost it, thanks for that.
        Lila

Comment

Got the book, signed by Stephen himself!
          Buddhism without belief... excellent read, though my bhante disapproves!

Comment

Signed by Stephen! Did you get to meet him, too, Rags? How cool.

I also like BWB, which is certainly a secularized and stripped-down version of the key elements of Buddhist thought. I think that the book suffers a bit from its title. The title perhaps was intended to make Buddhism a bit more attractive and accessible to people of other faiths who tend to be frightened or leery of Buddhism, but I don't think it has worked out that way, because many of those folks are also leery of anything that sounds as if it is denying the importance of their beliefs. And at the other end of the spectrum, folks who are already into Buddhism might not be interested in having their own beliefs, whatever they might be, treated as superfluous. What do you think? Why does your bhante disapprove?

wip

Comment

Working...
            X