7 Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Weeks

I am a 30 year old married man with 5 children.Iv had a drinking problem for ten years but only acknowleged it for about the last 5.Ive been reading through the posts and ive found something in everyone ive read that rings true to me.I met my wife and left home at 16.i worked behind a bar at my best friends parents function room,i could drink as much as i liked and it didnt cost me a penny..in fact i got paid for it.At 18 i was a dad.At 20 my wifes mum and dad got a pub, a 100 miles away from where we lived. we moved in with them because there was plenty of room and a nicer area near the sea. id always wanted to live by the sea. Again i could drink as much as i liked and i got paid for doing so. We only lived in the pub for 2 years.Although it was great at the time i was now 22 with no qualifications , 2 children and 1 on the way. By this time i was in a tight grip of the booze. From then till early this year i dont know how many times ive hit rock bottom but its a lot. I never hurt my family physically but being the person i have been in the past i havnt done my wife and children any favours. We still have no money.Towards the what i hope was the end of my drinking i was putting away 6 cans of 9% lager or 3 litres of cider 9% or if we were a bit better off one week a litre of dark rum(My faviroute) every night, i usually got the jitters about 5 but it was starting to get earlier and earlier.i was scared stiff of waking up and needing a drink as soon as i opened my eyes.i had just lost my latest underpaid job through drink and felt my body was feeling a lot older and beat up than it should. I decided to go to my Doctor.That was the first time i told anybody apart from my wife about my problem. It was such a relief. I felt that the ball at long last was starting to roll. June 2nd i went into detox at Lancaster hospital for 12 days.Id never spent that amount of time away from my wife and children before.It was the longest and hardest 12 days of my life.I know ill never do that again. I missed them too much.I know if i drink now its been for nothing.Its now nearly 7 weeks later.It has got a little easier although most nights i could murder a drink.Like a post i was reading earlier its all or nothing,i wish i could just have 1 drink but i cant.I keep thinking to myself you could get hit by a bus tomorrow..or..you only live once...But my kids are only kids once and i want to be a dad.My wife has been unbelivable through everything ( if i was her i would have left me).The thing in my head now that is keeping me from cracking up is the thought that yes i will have a drink again one day maybe when im 60 or retired. I think its just easier than saying to youself never again.

Good Luck everyone xxx

7 Weeks

Wow, Wayne,

Thanks for telling us your story. You can do this. Do it for those lovely kids.

I wish you well and just want you to know that someone, somewhere in Australia - is thinking of you.

Tawny

Comment

7 Weeks

7 weeks

Good luck wayne and well done on seeking help, my wife and I have recently had a child and I am trying to cut back in order to fully participate but letting myself down on a weekly basis, I am looking to try and PROPERLY cut back but better still as you have done abstaining, seeing how it feels and giving it a proper go. May need some prof help to get there.
      mac

Comment

7 Weeks

Wayne, good luck and congratulations on your decision. If you want some light reading on background, etc., I've posted some of my older research posts in the research forum. You may find some things there helpful!

Comment

7 Weeks

Wow Wayne--
          Congratulations on 7 weeks--and thanks for sharing what you've been going through. Sounds like you're a loving--and courageous--dad and husband. You're doing what you need to do to get back the life you and your family deserve--and you're an inspiration to the rest of us...

I also had to get some professional help--10 days in inpatient rehab--it was truly ghastly, almost Dickensian, but it had the desired effect--I won't put myself in the position of having to do THAT again...

Welcome to the site--and you might want to check out the monthly abs event threads for some specific support from others who are abstaining--you can jump in any time and we'll be glad to see you there!
          :h
          susan
          "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

7 Weeks

Wayne i pray that your ball keeps rolling mate - what can I say (stiff upper lip and all that) but well done well done. don't let yourself down, I know you got to think of your wife and family they sound great - but please please think ofyou too if you don't let yourself down, then you won't let them down either.
            lol Carole

just to add to susans invitation come on over to abs the water is lovely!!

Comment

Working...
            X