Great site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great site

Suffering an especially cruel hangover this morning, I thought I'd look for a forum for a bit of support. Quickly found this place. I'm very impressed by the courage and honesty of the people here. I'll certainly give the program a try, but just by reading the posts here for half an hour, I'm already feeling a little better - I thank you all for that.

Here's two aspects of my alcoholism that greatly trouble me:

1. Sometimes I take Antabuse to stop drinking - but not for long. Life becomes a total bore. Things I enjoy like cycling or swimming, even work on occasions, become an ordeal. All I want to do is get the day over with and sleep. You might call this depression but it's completely different from the hellish suicidal depression that hits me - like now - after a three-day bender. I can only enjoy some activity if I know there'll be drinking afterwards, and despite the weight of evidence stating the contrary, I always think I'll be in charge of that drinking.

2. Apart from the depression, my worst hangover symptom is a raging, insatiable sex drive. The tension, the build-up of pressure, makes you feel you'll explode at any moment. Walking through a mine-field would be preferable, even without the promise of a crate of Lowenbrau Oktoberfest if I made it.

I went to a psychiatrist with this problem. The first consultation cost ?120. On arriving at the hospital, the receptionist asked me if I'd like anything while I waited. Yes, a large gin and tonic would be nice, I joked. With ice and lemon? Yes, thank you. It was a high class joint - the drink arrived in thirty seconds.

The psychiatrist had never heard of such a thing. He said he'd do some research and send his results to my doctor. The diagnosis: there's definately something wrong with you but I don't know what it is. Stop drinking and take these tablets.

Cyproterone is banned in the US. Here in England, its rarely prescribed - and then only to imprisoned sex offenders, especially paedophiles. It inhibits the production of testosterone, which is fine but, oddly, it doesn't kill the desire. It does, however, remove the means to satiate that desire, thereby driving you insane. It also makes you go bald and grow breasts.

The answer of course is simply to not drink.

I wonder if anyone has experienced similar horrors?

Archie

Great site

Well, I had a hangover this AM, but knew I would cuz I had a birthday to celebrate yesterday........today is a new day and don't beat yourself up over it.........keep emailing and posting and it will get better. I have only today, and will keep posting on this site which is a GODsend.....

Keep us all posted Archie! please!:

Comment

Great site

Hi Archie,

Welcome!
      I just saw your post, I hope you're still checking in for replies.

Alcohol disrupts chemistry in your body and that include the very delicate balance of hormones. I've been rebalancing my hormones (without drugs) with much success using natural products. We have a member here by the name of cv/Cynthia who can give you all kinds of info on supplements that can help balance hormones and help with other effects of heavy alc consumption.

I'm not a great believer in doctors who throw drugs at you, esp when they don't even understand what the problem is. There are much more effective ways to go about treating your imbalances than to give you a drug that "removes the means to satiate the desire' (I love you brits and your slick ways of saying things!). Actually, I just think that's cruel and unnecessary. Don't let this doctor destroy your health with a drug that is totally inappropriate.

I would suggest that you either repost this post on the General Discussion board (you will get more responses there) and/or send cv/Cynthia an ezbox message.

Also, buy or download RJ's book (if you haven't already), get to reading and see how the program works. if you think it's for you, start working it. It has helped all of us here and who knows how many more get in control of their drinking.

You're not alone Archie. We all came here in a desperate state, just read around the boards and you will see. Some people have found that they can drink moderately on the program, others choose abstinence. It's just a matter of discovering what will work for you.

All the best,
      Deirdre

Comment

Working...
      X